Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to book a Nilgai Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
I am interested in booking a nilgai hunt, and I am looking for recommendations from fellow hunters as to where to go, what I can expect to pay for a good hunt, gear needed etc. So, for my fellow AR members who have done one or more of these hunts, please share your experience and expertise with me.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
THERE ARE FREE RANGE HUNTS AND HIGH FENCE HUNTS.

No season as they are exotics.
Beyond that, there are many variables.
One thing to do is search the internet for Texas Nilgai hunts and start shopping to see what fits your taste and budget.
Good Hunting

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
crshelton Did you get the PM's I sent in the last few days?
Sorry to butt in guys.
As you were.
Big Grin

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted one on the King Ranch but was the guest of a client. It seems to me the hunt was about $5k though, all in. I could be wrong. I would certainly hunt there again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like I paid about 3500 for my nilgai hunt on the King Ranch. Great guide who hustled . Tough critters. You will enjoy that hunt.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
Seems like I paid about 3500 for my nilgai hunt on the King Ranch. Great guide who hustled . Tough critters. You will enjoy that hunt.

You could certainly be right. I was a guest so didn’t pay personally.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I would recommend three outfitters:

Lomas Chicas Outfitters in Sarita. Hunting the Kennedy Ranch.

L&L Hunts based in Victoria hunting the Yturria Ranch in Raymondville.

Wildlife Systems based in San Angelo and hunting the El Sauz Ranch.

All are free range hunts on big ranches in coastal south Texas.

Hunts are around $3500 for a bull, less for cows. Be sure and check the amenities each offer. Some include lodging and meals others don't...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Google the Mariposa Ranch.

A friend hunted there and said it was great.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
I would recommend three outfitters:

Lomas Chicas Outfitters in Sarita. Hunting the Kennedy Ranch.

L&L Hunts based in Victoria hunting the Yturria Ranch in Raymondville.

Wildlife Systems based in San Angelo and hunting the El Sauz Ranch.

All are free range hunts on big ranches in coastal south Texas.

Hunts are around $3500 for a bull, less for cows. Be sure and check the amenities each offer. Some include lodging and meals others don't...

I can also recommend Wildlife Systems. I took my son and Father on a Nilgai hunt last March. They both got their bulls. The guide was great.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive hunted the King ranch many times in the past, but Nilgai were $600 back then. One of the familys close friends and his fathers was a foreman on the rance.. took me and my son, and I may have got a big discount, that was about 197?..I followed up several times and the hunts were still $600..Im sure today that's changed as back then few people hunted Nilgai or even knew they existed..

As to the Mariposa, I bought 600 wild Santa Gertrudis cows and during the gather I bet I saw at least 25 Nilgai bulls, and a couple of dozen cows, about the same as the King ranch, not to mention a dozen or so huge Whitetail bucks, hogs, coyotes, bobcats, and Javalina, Both ranches are a cornucopia of wildlife..I usually shot a Bull and a cow...All my hunting was on the King...Highly recommend it..

I know there is a channel from the Gulf that goes back into some state land that borders the KIng and there are apparently a sufficient number of Nilgai that can be hunted by the public..Probably only the locals know how to get there..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This past year there was a news report of someone in WI scattering meat laced with an insecticide. The DNR was looking for the perp. There were claims of racoons, skunks, coyotes and wolves dying. I think some dogs were killed too.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youp50:
This past year there was a news report of someone in WI scattering meat laced with an insecticide. The DNR was looking for the perp. There were claims of racoons, skunks, coyotes and wolves dying. I think some dogs were killed too.

Thanks, We'll keep our eyes peeled in south texas coffee

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted the El Suaz several times with great success.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ive hunted the King ranch many times in the past, but Nilgai were $600 back then. One of the familys close friends and his fathers was a foreman on the rance.. took me and my son, and I may have got a big discount, that was about 197?..I followed up several times and the hunts were still $600..Im sure today that's changed as back then few people hunted Nilgai or even knew they existed..

As to the Mariposa, I bought 600 wild Santa Gertrudis cows and during the gather I bet I saw at least 25 Nilgai bulls, and a couple of dozen cows, about the same as the King ranch, not to mention a dozen or so huge Whitetail bucks, hogs, coyotes, bobcats, and Javalina, Both ranches are a cornucopia of wildlife..I usually shot a Bull and a cow...All my hunting was on the King...Highly recommend it..

I know there is a channel from the Gulf that goes back into some state land that borders the KIng and there are apparently a sufficient number of Nilgai that can be hunted by the public..Probably only the locals know how to get there..

Which division was he the foreman on and how long ago did you buy cows off the Mariposa?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago we bought those wild Santa Gerturdis Im thinking in the 1970. My uncle Barney Edmunson bought them and I pastured them and sold them..Those cattle made cowboys out of my kids..

I was invited and went with Ray Lambreth and George ?, Ray Lambreth owned the stock yards in Laredo at the time, who set the deal up for me and a friend..Georges father was an old time foreman on the ranch, and retired Texas Ranger..Thats the best this 85 year old grey matter can recall..The King is a corocopia of game. My good close friend and ranching neighbor Ben Love married one of the Armstrong girls, or Kleburgs not sure which..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Many years ago we bought those wild Santa Gerturdis Im thinking in the 1970. My uncle Barney Edmunson bought them and I pastured them and sold them..Those cattle made cowboys out of my kids..

I was invited and went with Ray Lambreth and George ?, Ray Lambreth owned the stock yards in Laredo at the time, who set the deal up for me and a friend..Georges father was an old time foreman on the ranch, and retired Texas Ranger..Thats the best this 85 year old grey matter can recall..The King is a corocopia of game. My good close friend and ranching neighbor Ben Love married one of the Armstrong girls, or Kleburgs not sure which..

I don’t have much of anything to do with Laredo. Most of my clients who trade in Mexicans cross at Santa Teresa, NM or Eagle Pass. Just curious as to the foreman on the King Ranch but that was before my time. I have met the feedlot manager and the foreman for the Laurales and Norias divisions at industry stuff. Was curious as to the Mariposa too as they used to run quite a lot of cattle but I think they just have a few hundred Beefmasters around for taxes and rotating through their fields as it serves the game populations. I don’t have many dealing in the Gulf Coast country though. Most of my Texas clients (not a huge part of my business anyhow) are West Texas or the Panhandle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted on the La Norias division, and I have a picture of my Texas Ranger Grandfather John Hess, my mothers dad, and two other rangers on horse back with ropes to dead Mexican bandits, the are dragging them to a huge bond fire..They had no shovels and desease was the reason for cremation according to gramps..so the LaNorias Div. was special to me, being a nostalgic and history buff..I raised registered Beefmaster cattle back then at a ranch I owned at Maypearl and another I leased at Hillsboro Texas.

I believe the 600 head of Santa Gertrudis were part of the dispersal of the whole herd at the time, they were wild brushy cattle unused to man on foot and didn't welcome a man horse back, but they were prolific and raised huge calves, all that said I was glad to see them go, spent too much time UNDER the trailer or hanging over a fence.. rotflmo My uncle Barny Edmunson purchased the cattle and partnered with me on them..I sold them off piecemeal over a year or two.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen that picture hanging in an office in Victoria, Texas. Four guys ahorseback, one is a stout guy with a tie on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The one in the middle is my grandpaw with the black tie on. only 3 rangers, not 4. I had the original picture that my mom gave me, had it copied and framed the copy and its in my office..Somebody stole the original, it had uncle John written on it and someone tried to erase it so its blurred..the orginal was about a 5x7. A copy of the picture was given to George? the foremans son or grandson..Both his grandpaw and mine fought the good war on the Neuces strip..Its a neat picture..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120