THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Thank this guy if you hunt pigs in California

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thank this guy if you hunt pigs in California
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
https://m.sfgate.com/sfhistory...ame-for-14916088.php

One eccentric socialite is to blame for California's wild pig problem

A California feral wild boar, the direct result of George Gordon Moore's hunting escapades in the 1920s. Photo: Steve Maslowski/Getty Images/Visuals Unlimited
Photo: Steve Maslowski/Getty Images/Visuals Unlimited
Image 1 of 20
A California feral wild boar, the direct result of George Gordon Moore's hunting escapades in the 1920s.
California's wild pigs are massive and ubiquitous. They can grow into 200-pound ripping machines. They tear up lawns and destroy hillsides. Their gruesome teeth can even threaten humans and pets.

And they're here, rooting up our landscaping, because of one mercurial millionaire.

Today's wild pigs are a hybrid breed, a mixture of two animals that have no place in California. The first is the standard domesticated pig, introduced by Spanish colonizers in the mid-1700s. Russian immigrants also apparently let some loose near Fort Ross in Sonoma in the 1800s. And as Gold Rush settlers flowed into the state, they killed the hogs’ biggest predator, the bear. So the once-domestic pig spread, becoming a feral pig out in the wild.

But it wouldn’t meet its love match until the 1920s, when George Gordon Moore imported the first European wild boar.

Moore was born in Wyoming, Canada in the 1880s and got his law degree by age 21. He practiced for a few years before growing bored and switching to finance. He quickly acquired a reputation as a shrewd financier in Europe and, oddly, a war tactician. According to a 1941 society column in the San Francisco Chronicle, he advised British Field Marshal John French during World War I.

“He was the man most responsible for the failure of several of the last German drives,” the Chronicle wrote.

After the war, Moore moved to San Francisco where he quickly began using his millions to fund his twin passions: horses and hunting. He opened the San Mateo Polo Club, the spot to see and be seen for Bay Area elite. But that wasn’t enough for the ostentatious Moore: In 1923, he purchased a 20,000 Carmel Valley estate to create a theme park for the wealthy.

Rancho San Carlos cost $400,000 (over $6 million in today’s money) and Moore reportedly sank over one million more into improvements. He built polo grounds, a lake and planned on adding a golf course. In the massive hacienda, he added a bedroom for each of the polo players on the international traveling team he funded. And, of course, he started setting European wild boars loose on the property for hunting excursions.

The height of the Bay Area social scene was getting an invitation to Rancho San Carlos. Barbecues and weekend soirees made the local newspapers regularly, attended by Hollywood stars and newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst.

“A retinue of servants, led by a huge, handsome Jamaican, served [Moore] night and day,” a 1941 Chronicle story boasted.

“Sleep was something unheard of on the ranch,” it added.

Soon, Moore’s European boars encountered the feral pig population and began breeding, creating the California wild pig hybrid we see today. They loved the ecosystem, finding plenty of grasses, fruits and tubers to eat. Less than 10 years after being introduced, Moore’s wild hogs were seen up to 40 miles away. In 1936, the Chronicle reported hunters finding rubbings against a tree left by a hog that were over four feet high; that meant the hog weighed over 600 pounds.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
An oft repeated story in the history of Texas also.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
No one but hunters would want to thank this chap!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The difference is that California treats them as a proper game animal.

The Spanish introduced the pigs in the 1600's. People like Randolph Hearst and others introduced European Wildboars and improved hogs in the 1930-1950's.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
They certainly are tasty although they may overrun the state like they did in Texas.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
they may overrun the state like they did in Texas.

I’be always wondered about that. I moved out of California in 2012 but in the couple of decades preceding my exit I didn’t see any real sign of a population explosion like Texas has experienced. And I never heard any concern that the population might explode.

The Wild turkey population on the other hand seemed to take off like wildfire.

I wonder why Texas is over run with hogs and California’s population has remained somewhat stable.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder why Texas is over run with hogs and California’s population has remained somewhat stable.

Could it be because they have corn feeders for them all over the place?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
quote:

Could it be because they have corn feeders for them all over the place?

I hadn’t thought of that. Kind of ironic in a state where many people want to reduce or eliminate the wild hogs.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
California's population is not stable. They are expanding into areas where they had not previously been seen. The droughts tend to knock them back significantly though and a lot of areas don't have enough surface water to support them.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While drought years certainly do drop pig populations, they are prolific breeders. Ranch I hunt on 6000 acres outside of King City you can go thru drought and have hardly any pigs and those there are in bad shape. A couple of wet winters like we have had and boom they are back. Water is gold as the pigs need to water everyday.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote