THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Mountain lion at the perimeter of Dallas

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain lion at the perimeter of Dallas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Watching the morning news. A mountain lion was captured on a trail camera in Rowlet (suburb on the east side of Dallas).
We are loaded with Canadian geese all year around now.
We have some 160-180 class deer also living within the urban area. Typically around drainages feeding local reservoirs.
I believe most of the deer are allowed to grow basically as pets in the community where they grow acustom to people and being fed. They are getting pretty big.
Bobcats are common as are coyotes.
See very few fox.
Cities becoming zoos. But a mountain lion?

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Rule of thumb...if you got deer you got mountain lions

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
More Pumas than you know or that the Parks and Wildlife want folks to know.
Same for black bear in east Texas where they are making a come back.

One of our friends sold all his calves a few years back because of Puma predation. Big cats live in protected areas , hunt at night and are rarely seen.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eeze:

Do you know there's no such thing
as: Canadian Geese????

They're Canada's. Check it out.

Be nice to those fuzzy kitties!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
There are more cats and bears around than most folks believe.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3013 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
On another note there is a wolf pack a few miles east of me....................

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3013 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Have our share of cats and bears in our Sacramento mountains here. They were becoming a serious rural-urban interface problem in parts of Oregon when I left it, thanks in part to the lib/urban idiot majority voting in a ban on hound hunting, the only really efficient way of controlling cougar numbers.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen some axis deer south of Dallas too. They live along the Trinity river.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Flick says he saw some grizzly bears near Pulaski’s candy store!

Happy Christmas!!

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WBT:
I've seen some axis deer south of Dallas too. They live along the Trinity river.

Feral deer. Interesting concept.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can not they be hunted year around in Texas.

I am surprised some enterprising hunter hasn't found and shot it.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Pdog asked "Can not they be hunted year around in Texas?"
Yes, they are considered varmints and can be hunted year round - no limits.

However, your "enterprising hunter" may not have access to the land where the Pumas roam. Much of the property around our reservoirs(including inflows and outflows) is Core of Engineers land and trespassing and hunting is controlled. Game usually thrives in these properties.
Additionally, much of Texas land is private, not public, so access is not a given. This plus the fact that most hunting is for big game such as deer and a variety of exotics, means there is little focus on hunting a Puma. They are easy to miss (not see) when crouched in the long grass, much less in the heavier cover.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a small herd of semi-feral camels between Dallas and Lawton too...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
10-12 years ago someone got a Mt Lion on trail camera in Kirkwood, MO a suburb of St. Louis

My farm is 50 miles W of St Louis. Not suburbs by any stretch but not super rural either. I've had 3 different Mt Lions and 1 bear there over the last few years.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are spotted a few time a year here in Oklahoma as well. I've hunted all over OK for many year and and have never seen one. Can't say the same for the 10+ years I've hunted the Rosebud Sioux Reservation in S. Dakota. They are everywhere there, especially around the rivers.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote