Notify
Tools

Anyone draw in Arizona
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Nothing for this guy so far.

Hopefully the fall draw will yield a coues and javelina.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn’t realize they were up. I need to check!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing for me or my son.

Hoping for a few other states.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I was successful on both Antelope and Elk.....for Bonus Points.

As I stated in the Mule Deer thread, you need to know the BP system here to improve your odds. You need to understand how resident and non-resident tags are allotted.

Certain units have very, very few tags. There is a 10% cap (IIRC) on non-resident tags. So if you choose to enter the draw in an area with only 20 tags, there are only 2 tags for non-resident.

Certain species have percentages of likely draw based on BP total. I currently have 27 BP for Antelope. I was in the 100% draw pool for this year. I have a three week bicycle race end August through mid-September sometime. I knew I wouldn't be around so only purchased BP for both species.

Next year, I can actually select a Buck antelope, in any unit and draw that unit. (If I took that time)

I have 8 for Elk, which will put me in about a 75% chance pool for Elk in the area my cabin is in, 6A. Not the best trophy unit but, lots of Elk.

A 375 bull would be a real stud for this area.

So for next year, August Maasailand, September Antelope and hopefully a rut Archery Bull Elk tag.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3366 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every state is confusing, but some are worse.

Nothing is as bad as Montana and Colorado.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
And IF you don't draw a Javilina tag, there are always left overs, over the counter.

If you bow hunt, you get a very long and generous hunt. They're pretty easy.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3366 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our javelina are pretty rough in the central part of the state. Closer to Arizona there are a heck of a lot more of them.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
I was successful on both Antelope and Elk.....for Bonus Points.

As I stated in the Mule Deer thread, you need to know the BP system here to improve your odds. You need to understand how resident and non-resident tags are allotted.

Certain units have very, very few tags. There is a 10% cap (IIRC) on non-resident tags. So if you choose to enter the draw in an area with only 20 tags, there are only 2 tags for non-resident.

Certain species have percentages of likely draw based on BP total. I currently have 27 BP for Antelope. I was in the 100% draw pool for this year. I have a three week bicycle race end August through mid-September sometime. I knew I wouldn't be around so only purchased BP for both species.

Next year, I can actually select a Buck antelope, in any unit and draw that unit. (If I took that time)

I have 8 for Elk, which will put me in about a 75% chance pool for Elk in the area my cabin is in, 6A. Not the best trophy unit but, lots of Elk.

A 375 bull would be a real stud for this area.

So for next year, August Maasailand, September Antelope and hopefully a rut Archery Bull Elk tag.

Steve is spot on in what he says. If you’re serious about big bucks and bulls, Arizona is a ‘must apply’ state. As non-residents, my son and I have drawn 4 elk tags (3 of which were great, one tough), strip and Kaibab deer tags and a unit 10 pronghorn tag. We’ve had a bunch of great hunts there, and will almost certainly draw a pronghorn and elk tag in the best areas in the next couple years. It takes persistence and a long term outlook to draw most of Arizona’s premium tags, but they are very worth it.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will more than likely apply for coues on Huachuca and Javelina.

But a lot depends on what I draw in a couple of weeks here in New Mexico.

If I had a royal flush here, I won't be doing anything in Arizona beyond points.

Heard the elk situation was bad because of the drought.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
you guys are speaking an absolute foreign language to me. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7591 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Elk bad both NM and AZ or AZ

quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I will more than likely apply for coues on Huachuca and Javelina.

But a lot depends on what I draw in a couple of weeks here in New Mexico.

If I had a royal flush here, I won't be doing anything in Arizona beyond points.

Heard the elk situation was bad because of the drought.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
you guys are speaking an absolute foreign language to me. Big Grin

Yeah, me too. Points? Just "random" drawing here. I do buy a few points in WY for the kids so they have potential future options. I'm too old to play the point creep game.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Points systems suck, they should have never been invented in the first place.

All they are is a cash cow for state wildlife agencies.

A lot of people in New Mexico are screaming for a points system, we have tons of hunters and very few tags. Best thing they ever did was drop Non-Res to less than 20%, and limit bighorns and ibex and some elk tags to once in a lifetime.