New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minnesota Bear Hunch Report
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Minnesota black bear with a quad. Not with a four wheeler but a handicap Hunter.

This all started several years ago when my brother Ryan had a hunting client from Minnesota and they became close friends. Jon was that client and asked Ryan if he wanted to go black bear hunting in Minnesota and he thought of me instead.

After I found out about the hunt I started researching and looking for a new shooting rig. I am a true quadriplegic with no movement or feeling from the neck down.

I can drive a wheelchair using what is called sip and puff. It's hard to explain but I can turn, go forward, reverse as well and tilt and recline my wheelchair by blowing or sucking with different pressures into a straw.

A shooting rig for a quad works much the same. There is a joystick that I move with my chin for the windage and elevation and I suck on a straw that pulls the trigger.

I had one but it was pretty much worn out and quite frankly hard to use. My wife came across a application on the Internet of a new rig that looks much better than the one I was using.

It was several years ago but I believe it was through Buckmaster's. Anyway we thought what the heck. I filled out the application and sent it in.

When I say application they were giving this rig away to a qualified recipient. They must've thought I was qualified because I won it.

It is made by Be Adaptive Equipment, LLC. There is a platform that goes under the cushion of my wheelchair that a frame slides into that supports the rig to operate and shoot the gun.

In the meantime one of my hunting friends found out I was getting a new shooting rig but I still needed a scope adapter to finish it off and Gerald was kind enough to help me get it.

It magnifies the image of the scope onto a screen where I can see where to aim and whatnot. Now I had everything to go hunting

I was going to be shooting a .270 Short Mag.

Last year I applied for a nonresident Minnesota black bear license and was unsuccessful but tried again this year and drew the license.

On Sunday, September 7 we left Buffalo South Dakota for the 622 mile trip to Roseau, Minnesota. The town itself is about 12 miles from the Canadian border. The bait site I had registered and was going to be hunting was truly right next to the border.

My brother Ryan and my mom Laurie and I were all going to be able to be in the blind. It was really neat that all of us could be together on this hunt.

Jon had been baiting at about 5 every afternoon and we were going to take me in at the same time he was going to bait and get me situated while there was the noise of the four wheeler to help cover up any noises we made. We got a little anxious and left early and it was a good thing because it took a while to get the van and me back in there.

When I say back in their the bait site was actually a couple miles from the hunting camp on a little trail that had trees and brush rubbing on the sides of the van as we went.

We got within a couple hundred yards of the bait site with the van and then we unloaded the wheelchair and I drove myself from there. It was fairly rough and the ground was like a sponge, so we had to push and pull to get me there.

Like I said we left a little early and it was a good thing because by the time we got me and everything situated it was the scheduled time to bait that the bears were used to.

There we were a little after 5 and we are situated with fresh bait and ready to go. Now the hard part comes and that is waiting.

The last several nights the Bears were coming in to the bait between 5 and 630 so the anticipation was high. Last night Jon baited at 505 and the trail cameras showed activity before 530.

Within minutes we spotted a bear but he was a way off and just passing through and we just caught a glimpse of him. Now here it was after 6 and nothing yet. Lots of squirrels taking the donuts and a bunch of birds but no bears.

It really didn't matter because my mind was racing and time was flying by.

I remember thinking so many things. These trees are so thick. My wife is just now getting off of work. There's a bunch of geese and cranes flying south and winter is about here. I wonder what that really blue bird eating the bait is? Here comes another squirrel. What was that noise? What kind of tree is that? Oh no the wind switched?

The blind was steel post with burlap wrapped around three sides and about 6 feet tall. We had cut a slit for the gun and scope to see out as well as a small video camera to hopefully catch the action.

All of a sudden mom motioned with her hand and moments later I saw a big ol black bear enter the view of the scope.

The darn bear just grabbed a bite and left. I thought it was over. Within seconds he was right back and grabbed another bite and left again. Talk about highs and lows.

On one hand it was really neat to at least see a bear and on the other hand it was just sickening to think I was not going to get a shot.

I thought it was over because he had looked directly at us a couple times. I just knew we were busted.

Finally he came in and settled down some and started eating but the shot was no good. He was facing straight at us and we wanted a good broadside shot in the lungs.

Truthfully I was excited and anxious and wanted to shoot him straight on, but Ryan stayed calm and made me wait for the perfect broadside shot.

We were only about 50 yards from the bear and every time he would move a little I would move my gun to get signed it in to where I wanted to shoot and the motor of the gun rig would make a noise when moving the gun and he would look right at us again. Talk about being nervous.

Eventually the shot was presented and I sucked on the straw to pull the trigger.

I have to suck pretty hard to make the gun rig pull the trigger and this might sound stupid but I tried to suck real soft so I didn't make any extra noise and nothing happened.

Ryan said that I had a horrified look on my face when nothing happened. I tried again, this time giving it a good hard suck and bang the gun went off.

In my scope screen I could see the bear roll and take off into the woods. I knew I had hit him good seeing him roll.

We were all really excited but still had to go find him. Ryan went to get Jon because there was no cell phone service.

While he did that mom and I took the gun rig off of the chair and got me out of the blind.

Ryan and Jon finally came back after what seemed like hours but was only a couple minutes.

They got their flashlights and went in the dark forest to look for him. It was still pretty light out by the blind but where the bear went it was awful dark because of the tall trees.

They found the bear pretty quick and Ryan was supposed to come back to where mom and I were to get a rope and a tarp to help drag the bear out.

Being a flatlander Ryan got lost in the thick woods and went the wrong direction. We spent several minutes hollering back and forth and Ryan finally made it to where we were.

While Ryan was lost Jon also came back. Come to find out there was another bear right behind him snapping his jaws. Better safe than sorry.

We finally got the bear out and back to camp where we took several pictures and reflected on what happened.

Ryan and Jon started skimming the bear so I could mount it and got some meat in the cooler as well.

Jamie who is the actual landowner I was hunting on and some friends from town came out to see the bear and hear the stories.

The bear was over 200 pounds and about 6 feet from nose to tail and they told me that was above average for that area.

We finally got out of the woods and back to town about 1130. That night.

I had originally planned on just getting a rug of the bear but decided to do a three-quarter mount to hang on the wall.

We will have to find space for that when the time comes.

A huge thank you goes out to everybody that made this happen for me and enough thanks can't be given.

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures to soon follow.

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, I am absolutely tickled for you. Congratulations on a great trophy, and for pursuing until it all came to pass.

Great hunt and a great story. Thanks for posting!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
Great job Randy!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Congratulations... can't wait to see the photos.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
That is one of the most amazing reports I have read, a big "Hell Yes" to your tenacity. Congrats to you and the people who love you enough to help make it happen. Now post a pic to prove that it actually happened....

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Great story Randy, nice job. Looking forward to pics.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the blind I was hunting out of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is mom and I in the hotel room just before we left.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is me with the bear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my brother and I with the bear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Kudo's to you and your family!

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mom and I with the bear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is giving me situated in the blind and the gun rig set up.

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!! Awesome job!!! tu2

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are pretty sure this is a trail cam picture of the bear I got.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is getting me to the blind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that good enough for you 505?

quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
That is one of the most amazing reports I have read, a big "Hell Yes" to your tenacity. Congrats to you and the people who love you enough to help make it happen. Now post a pic to prove that it actually happened....

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Great experience and a well deserved outcome. Surely that will be a lifetime memory for you. Whats next? Congratulations.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that good enough for you 505?

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing reading about your experience, and seeing the pictures. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it. I had no idea this could be done!

Congratulations!

Regards from Norway

Posts: 116 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully a elk with some friends in Montana.

quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Great experience and a well deserved outcome. Surely that will be a lifetime memory for you. Whats next? Congratulations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding hunt!!Best wishes on your Elk Hunt. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt. Thanks for the detailed report and excellent photos.

Time to get going on the Montana elk plans now!!

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Great bear, man. Great report also, I can't wait for the Elk report.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you much everybody

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am deeply impressed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely awesome Randy!

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is awesome! Congratulations!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote