New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't Sleep in the Stand!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If this thread is inappropriate for the Topic "American Big Game Hunting, perhaps the "Mod" will place it properly.

Anywho, as many folk know, in Texas local custom is to hunt from either ground blinds or elevated box blinds or "stands".

Here is a true story about "Sleeping in the Stand!

I've been hunting with a core group of guys for 21 years now. We were once young and studly. Now, the older we get, the better we wuz.

For the most part we all enjoy consuming adult beverages, but one of our group is a true beer drinker.

An example: a couple years ago Richard (names may have been changed to protect the guilty) had to go see his GP in order to have a physical check-up. During the check-up the lady Doctor asked Richard if he drank alcohol.

He replied, I like beer.

She then asks, if he consumes alcohol daily.

He said, Yes Ma’am.

She asks, how many beers a day do you consume.

Richard replies, “two”.

She says, ok you drink two beers every day?

Richard sez’ no, after work I drink two six packs.

Taken aback she asks do you do this daily?

Richard replies, “yes”.

She then askes, what do you do on the weekend?

Richard replies, I have two on Saturday and Sunday.

She inquires, two beers or two six-packs.

Richard replies, no, two cases, one case on Saturday and one case on Sunday!

Perhaps you get the picture.

Anywho, opening weekend of Rifle Season is always on a Saturday in Texas. Some get to the lease on Thursday, the rest on Friday.

The event that I am about to relate occurred opening morning of 2019.

However, a little more preface.

The property that comprises our “trespass lease” is a working low-fenced/no-fenced ranch of some 60K acres. We have a 1,700 acre pasture about 6 miles in from the paved highway. It is in the Texas Hill Country near the Concan/Reagan Wells vicinity. As you may or may not know, there are high fenced game ranches that have been in the hill country since the early 1900’s.

Now when flash floods occur and due to the nature of the terrain, low water gaps of fences get taken out and exotic game is known to escape.

Also within the last five years an 800 acre property has been high fenced and numerous species of exotic game has been stocked. It is about 5 miles away as the crow flies.

One of my buds and I keep about 20 game cams set out around in and around this 1,700 acres. It has become one of the highlights of my time there to pull the discs and view all of the pictures. From time to time I have seen Red Stag, Elk, Sika and Fallow Deer, Blackbuck, and Mouflon sheep wondering through this lease

Early last year, in June or July, both Bill and I had a picture of a Kudu Bull on game cam. One at my canopy feeder and one at Richard’s close feeder.

Well, back to Richard.

We have a habit that on the night before opening day when all are present, we have a feast.

I tell folks at my deer lease, “We eat like Kings and drink like the homeless”.

Well opening eve in 2019 was no exception, and a couple folk prolly over—imbibed, just a wee bit.

So we knew Richard would be sleeping in the stand Saturday morning. When he got back we asked him if he saw anything. He said no.

IIRC he did not take an animal that opening weekend.

So fast forward a couple days.

In the meantime, Bill, (who is a practical joker) comes up with the idea to change the date and time on the image of the Kudu bull that was taken at Richard’s close feeder. So he changed that date and time to 8:15 AM on Saturday, opening morning. Then Bill sends out an e-mail to Richard and the other 8 guys on the lease, with the title. “Don’t get drunk the night before and Sleep in the Stand”.

I don’t know whether Richard was more upset about the ribbing he took or the fact that he thought he’d missed the trophy of a lifetime.

TFF.

We finally told him about what we had done, opening night before the first shots of Tequila a week or so ago!

Ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's funny!!!!!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool

Good to see you back!

tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good joke on your fellow hunter.

I have fallen a sleep several times never I knew what I missed

faint

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Humorous, even if the kudu appears to be a nyala bull. Wink

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
Humorous, even if the kudu appears to be a nyala bull. Wink

Well sir,

I was pretty sure it was not a white-tail deer,

and absolutely sure it was not a hoglet.

and I'd never seen a striped horse with spiral horns,

so, not being overly familiar with African Antelope.........

TFF.

Anywho, thanks for the correction!

Ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
That is a 1-2 year old kudu......

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, juvenile Kudu bull.

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Considering that he is probably 600 pounds of some of the best protein in the world, I am thinking he would get shot.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
I'm merely going on what I'm seeing, and that it looks more like this below than a kudu to me. But if you guys think it's a kudu, it's fine with me.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony:

I fairly well agree you're right.

Too bad the second picture doesn't
show horns better. Maybe they have
more views on the cards yet.

No matter, that was a dandy joke.
Doubt if my bunch would have admitted
to changing the time and date though.
Just let the guy beat himself up. Might
do him some good to cut back on a few
brews.

GWB, dandy pictures and a great joke.
Thanks for sharing with us, and glad to
see you're back.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Hilarious Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Dudes, that's a young kudu bull.

Even a young nyala has long hair along the belly which extends to the rear legs. The hindquarters and tail are also well supplied with long hair. Look closely at Glenn's buck. slick belly, sparse tail. Pretty easy to see.

These photos are nyala:

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely a Kudu. No question!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On several levels Kudu or Nyala, doesn't matter. Great story!

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu.... and it's a helluva great story!
Well played y'all.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Great story Glenn. Good to see you on AR again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Great story! It would be a shame, though, not to let that kudu grow into the beaut that he has the potential to be.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote