Find
Notify
Tools

AZ elk hunt in a prime area
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://imgur.com/1llfzri

I got a very old and almost white elk last week in AZ. Last birthday was 77, so this was likely my last serious back country elk hunt. If so, it was certainly a good one to finish on. My first was 44 years ago in Montana. Since then there’s been a fairly long, but thin string of elk hunts in Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Utah and Alberta. Most of those were DIY and with results usually short of aspirations, but early on I remember someone at a check station telling me, “any elk is a good elk”. This year’s I consider great!

This was my first time hunting in AZ though I have been trying to draw deer or elk in one of their prime areas for many years. There hasn’t been a lot good about 2020, but getting a bull elk permit in in the Alpine vicinity just west of the New Mexico border certainly was a positive highlight! I did not actually get drawn this year, but was a very high alternate and suspect the late cancellation that I jumped on was caused by Covid concerns. When we started looking at hunt dates and driving schedules, my wife decided to come along and we would drive from Houston and “detour by” LA to have a surprise Thanksgiving visit with those grandkids, then back to AZ for my hunt. That would leave me starting hunting a couple days after the seven day season opened.

Van Hale has helped me with the draw process in both AZ and NM, and it was a distinct pleasure to finally meet him face to face and get to hunt with his Trophy Outfitters operation. Accommodations and meals were great. Not so important to me, but damn nice given that Johanna was back at the ranch reading books, etc. while I was out all day.

I had an excellent guide who obviously knew the area and had done a lot of focused scouting. I just reviewed, and think we saw 29 bulls and about 15 spikes in three days. Those were all within range. We also saw groups of wild horses daily. A lot of the elk had broken points because it was after the rut, plus shortage of water early in the year apparently contributes to weaker antlers. I passed on several nice bulls because of breaks including a wide 6x6 that, if intact, would have been better than a very good and symmetric 6x6 I have from many years ago. That was one of three we watched bed within 130 yards. Believe me, I was second guessing that decision as we snuck back out…

We spotted the one I decided to try for about noon the following day in a group of 8 bulls at about a thousand yards. They were scattered and it took about an hour to close the distance to under 400yards. That trek was mostly down a steep slope that was littered with fallen timber from the major fires in the area eleven years ago. My elk was mostly bedded down partly behind a tree, and it then took nearly two hours to get a clear shot. Meanwhile the others all seemed to take turns with broadside ‘Redfield poses’.

I was using a pre64 M70 in 300H&H with 180 grain Nosler partions loaded a bit above the book max and zeroed in at 300 yards. Lazed range to my elk was 364 yards. I held ~ 1/3rd down from top of shoulder. The bull dropped at the shot but soon struggled up and stood behind a tree. When he somewhat lunged forward I got a finishing shot. It took us over half an hour to get down the canyon and back up to where he was lodged against a fallen tree. Quartering, caping and securing meat took much longer than usual because of the steep icy slope. When we finished, we had a tough two hour mostly up hill walk to get back to the truck before dark.

I was planning on riding back in with Van and Tom to retrieve my elk, but the next morning Tom told me they had four horses loaded but hadn’t been able to get Red cornered. Plus because of the trailer they would not be able to get near where we had the truck. He suggested I sit the recovery out as they might need to get two elk that day anyway. They actually got back late afternoon with just my elk because that morning they waited three hours on another hunter/guide to make a stalk. Van said he thought my elk might have been 12 years old, and because of the unusual white color he was surprised he had not heard of someone spotting it over the years.

At a leisurely breakfast late that morning I explained to Johanna why I had missed the recovery. She noted that Red followed her up and down the fence line every time she left the cabin. Hummm…

Anyway, a week after getting back, we just finished some excellent elk backstrap steaks. A little tougher, but taste indistinguishable from prime beef.

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt. I love hearing stories like this and hope you have many more great hunts.

That elk is amazing, I hav3 not seen coloring like that.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome hunt and report.I love the holding a third down on the shoulder with a 300 yd zero part. Quick easy and works.

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Excellent bull! Great story. Every elk is a good elk.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt and in the timbered
areas near Window Rock. Fine looking country
there, not much of it though.

Any pictures to share?
Am happy for you, I'm looking at 77 end of Jan.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an awesome bull! Looks like he's piebald or leucistic maybe. Very cool, and very rare

Posts: 247 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Sounds like you had a fun hunt seeing that many bulls. Good shooting too. The Mod70 in .300 H&H is a great combination . We’ve enjoyed some late season elk hunts. Been in a few blizzards in the mountains that time of the year. Looks like you had nice weather for your hunt.

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Classic rifle, classic elk!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well done Emory!

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a cool looking bull...great job! tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job and story. Did you have a chance to inspect his molars, am curious how worn down they were?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loved every word.

Posts: 10825 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Emory,

Good for you and that is a special trophy. Hope you're doing something special with the mount.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice bull and congratulations!

quote:
Originally posted by Emory:
https://imgur.com/1llfzri

I got a very old and almost white elk last week in AZ. Last birthday was 77, so this was likely my last serious back country elk hunt. If so, it was certainly a good one to finish on. My first was 44 years ago in Montana. Since then there’s been a fairly long, but thin string of elk hunts in Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Utah and Alberta. Most of those were DIY and with results usually short of aspirations, but early on I remember someone at a check station telling me, “any elk is a good elk”. This year’s I consider great!

This was my first time hunting in AZ though I have been trying to draw deer or elk in one of their prime areas for many years. There hasn’t been a lot good about 2020, but getting a bull elk permit in in the Alpine vicinity just west of the New Mexico border certainly was a positive highlight! I did not actually get drawn this year, but was a very high alternate and suspect the late cancellation that I jumped on was caused by Covid concerns. When we started looking at hunt dates and driving schedules, my wife decided to come along and we would drive from Houston and “detour by” LA to have a surprise Thanksgiving visit with those grandkids, then back to AZ for my hunt. That would leave me starting hunting a couple days after the seven day season opened.

Van Hale has helped me with the draw process in both AZ and NM, and it was a distinct pleasure to finally meet him face to face and get to hunt with his Trophy Outfitters operation. Accommodations and meals were great. Not so important to me, but damn nice given that Johanna was back at the ranch reading books, etc. while I was out all day.

I had an excellent guide who obviously knew the area and had done a lot of focused scouting. I just reviewed, and think we saw 29 bulls and about 15 spikes in three days. Those were all within range. We also saw groups of wild horses daily. A lot of the elk had broken points because it was after the rut, plus shortage of water early in the year apparently contributes to weaker antlers. I passed on several nice bulls because of breaks including a wide 6x6 that, if intact, would have been better than a very good and symmetric 6x6 I have from many years ago. That was one of three we watched bed within 130 yards. Believe me, I was second guessing that decision as we snuck back out…

We spotted the one I decided to try for about noon the following day in a group of 8 bulls at about a thousand yards. They were scattered and it took about an hour to close the distance to under 400yards. That trek was mostly down a steep slope that was littered with fallen timber from the major fires in the area eleven years ago. My elk was mostly bedded down partly behind a tree, and it then took nearly two hours to get a clear shot. Meanwhile the others all seemed to take turns with broadside ‘Redfield poses’.

I was using a pre64 M70 in 300H&H with 180 grain Nosler partions loaded a bit above the book max and zeroed in at 300 yards. Lazed range to my elk was 364 yards. I held ~ 1/3rd down from top of shoulder. The bull dropped at the shot but soon struggled up and stood behind a tree. When he somewhat lunged forward I got a finishing shot. It took us over half an hour to get down the canyon and back up to where he was lodged against a fallen tree. Quartering, caping and securing meat took much longer than usual because of the steep icy slope. When we finished, we had a tough two hour mostly up hill walk to get back to the truck before dark.

I was planning on riding back in with Van and Tom to retrieve my elk, but the next morning Tom told me they had four horses loaded but hadn’t been able to get Red cornered. Plus because of the trailer they would not be able to get near where we had the truck. He suggested I sit the recovery out as they might need to get two elk that day anyway. They actually got back late afternoon with just my elk because that morning they waited three hours on another hunter/guide to make a stalk. Van said he thought my elk might have been 12 years old, and because of the unusual white color he was surprised he had not heard of someone spotting it over the years.

At a leisurely breakfast late that morning I explained to Johanna why I had missed the recovery. She noted that Red followed her up and down the fence line every time she left the cabin. Hummm…

Anyway, a week after getting back, we just finished some excellent elk backstrap steaks. A little tougher, but taste indistinguishable from prime beef.

Good hunting,

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice.
In NM this year most of the elk had broken main beams. I saw 13 mature bulls on my hunt and not a single one was completely intact. Most had 1 or both beams broken above the 3rd or 4th point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool trophy bull!
Congratulations!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did good Emory. Nice bull and good story telling.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, well done

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote