Tools

elk rifle for a lady, suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sage:
A couple very nice bulls you have there, curious as to what bullet you were using in the 7mm-08.

Thank you.

150 Ballistic Tip in the 7-08
165 Speer Hotcore in the 308

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
One thing that has not really been touched on, and it is something I have witnessed many men do when looking to pick out a rifle for their wife/son or daughter.

All too often they do not take into account the, for lack of a better word "Toughness" of the individual the gun will be for. Case in point from experience, two in fact.

In the first case a former hunting partner had started his 14 year old daughter out with a .243. The girl was not tiny, but she was just 14. After getting used to the .243 he stepped her up to a .270. On one of the Youth Only deer hunt weekends Texas does, the Dad and daughter met me at the place we had been hunting on for a couple of years. When they got there, the Dad said they had a problem. He had brought along both his rifle, a Model 700 Remington in .375 H&H and his daughters gun also a 700 Remington in .270. Problem was that in their packing that morning for the trip up, they forgot the shells for the .270. I watched that young lady make a 110 yard shot on a spike buck with the .375, and when we asked her how it felt when she shot, she described it as just a little harder push than her .270.

In the other case on the trip that Lora shot her elk, her normal gun is a Model 77 Ruger Ultra Lite in .257 Roberts, but I worked with her before the trip and she used my .35 Whelen. In hindsight, I should have let her use the Robert's because I realized it would have got the job done.

My point is, don't underestimate a persons ability until after you give them a couple of practice sessions. Don't put them behind something you find unpleasant to shoot.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.308 Win, 165 gr factory loads, almost any brand is good. If you handload, 165 ghr Hornady I-lock or Sierra Game King work just fine. Echo comments about rifle fit. Everything else lacks versatility or ease of ammo procurement. 30-06 is my 2d choice.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For somebody who is not a rifle looney.. like most on here, I would do this:

Tikka T3 SS in 308
Put into a McMillan Sako Hunter stock
Sako Ringmounts
4x33, 6x36 or 6x42 Leupold

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My aunt, who is about 5'5", 130 pounds and is now 65 has hunted for over twenty years with a .270 Win. She has killed many antelope and deer (whitetail and muley) as well as several elk including a huge bull a couple years ago. Just be sure the stock fits properly. Use 130 gr X-bullets and she should be pretty comfortable.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
American National Motto: "Just Do As We Say, We Know What Is Best For Everyone"!

Crazyhorse, I like that one. But, I always thought it was the Canadian National Motto. (chuckle)
Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
For somebody who is not a rifle looney.. like most on here, I would do this:

Tikka T3 SS in 308
Put into a McMillan Sako Hunter stock
Sako Ringmounts
4x33, 6x36 or 6x42 Leupold

You would have to be a rifle looney to put that together

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here's a little gal I know that shoots a 270

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Or maybe a 300 short mag.
Both these girls won't weigh a 100# with a pocket full of rocks.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Another 270 shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my wife shoots a Savage Ladyhunter 7-08. She loves it and has killed numerous animals including a zebra. She says it's the prettiest rifle on the planet, is only 5 pounds, and hits what she aims at.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics ravenr!

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot say enough about my Winchester 70 classic compact in .308. (I shoot the 180 grain Nosler Partition in mine) My wife really likes it as well.

They are now being called the featherweight compact.

A very nice rifle. Available in a number of calibers.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/...rweight-compact.html

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Get her a model 99 300 Savage. Cool

Posts: 10126 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
May I suggest the following:

Have the lady wear one of those space age material recoil reducing shoulder pads. I use one whenever I am testing my .30-06, .338-06.

Have a rifle with the correct length of pull, stock dimensions (cast etc.), plus one of those high tech recoil pads.

I have Pachmayr Decelerator pads on my medium bore rifles. Some people like Limbsaver. No doubt, there are other good recoil pads too.

I would go with a .30-06 with premium bullets and maybe, this would enable you to use 165 grain rather than 180 grain heads. This will reduce recoil a bit and shot placement is more important. It may be possible to stick with 180 grain heads if the padding / recoil pad and stock dimensions make the rifle comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:

Another 270 shooter

You sure know lots of pretty Gals Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife one of the browning micro Hunter LH rifles in 7mm-08 and it is a very sweet shooting rifle. I'd pick the same again.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 24 July 2016 23:13 Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:

Another 270 shooter

You sure know lots of pretty Gals

Politically Incorrect and
proud of it!!!!!!!!!

Professional Hunter

You may be attracted to her "Rack"

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
they have decided she will use her hubby's rifle; a T/C Dimension in .300WM. it has spacers in the stock so they've shortened it to fit her. i'm a little concerned about the recoil for her, she'll find out soon whether or not she can handle it. my plan is to get him some reduced recoil loads for range time; and use full power loads on the hunt and just not tell her. if she doesnt like the reduced loads, i guess they'll be rifle shopping.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adamhunter:
You might consider a Remington Model 7 as well. The composite stocked model is pretty light. My 10yr old son has one in 260 Rem. He is all of 60 pounds and handles it just fine.

I'm with Adam on this one. A Model 7 in .260 using 140gr TTSX due to the BC. Put a good recoil pad on it and good optics. Shouldn't have more than $1000 in it.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what she ends up with, the key is practice, practice, practice. If she can't hit what's she shooting at or if she's scared the rifle is gonna knock the snot out of her, it doesn't make any difference what she's shooting. If you're talking about reloading, one can start out with modest loads and as she acclimates to them, increase the charge gradually until she's shooting full house loads. And hitting what she's aiming at.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
quote:
key is practice, practice, practice. If she can't hit what's she shooting at or if she's scared the rifle is gonna knock the snot out of her, it doesn't make any difference what she's shooting. If you're talking about reloading, one can start out with modest l

Amen. she has a horseshoe up her ass and drew a tag for some private land on a 2nd season bull hunt where her chance at a true bull of a lifetime exists. i'm trying to overstress the importance of good shooting. i hope it sticks. i had them buy a scope for their pellet gun and build a trap for basement practicing with a scoped rifle for daily practice until they can find range time.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.338 Federal loaded with 185-grain Barnes 3-Shock Tipped.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I am going to look at a nice little 8X57 sporter today. Lightweight, hard hitting, low recoil. Not sure how such a dated round would do against modern Elk Kevlar though.. Confused

Posts: 10126 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 8x57 has been killing elk sized stuff for a long time. While it doesn't bother me, as I shoot a lot, I wouldn't consider the 8x57 as a light recoiler, especially in a light weight rifle. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir from your earlier post, but start her out light and work up. Smiler
I don't know if they still make them but Pacmyrn?? used to make a recoil pad that someway fixed to a woman's bra strap.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
The 8x57 has been killing elk sized stuff for a long time. While it doesn't bother me, as I shoot a lot, I wouldn't consider the 8x57 as a light recoiler, especially in a light weight rifle. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir from your earlier post, but start her out light and work up. Smiler
I don't know if they still make them but Pacmyrn?? used to make a recoil pad that someway fixed to a woman's bra strap.

I am sure we could agree on plenty. The 7X57 has long been considered a light recoiling rifle and has nearly identical powder capacity to the 8. But I know what you mean, heavier bullets and all. Truth is, there are a lot of rounds that have been around a long time that would fill the ladies elk rifle bill quite well. And just like you say about starting her of easy, it is better to go with something that is suitable for the gal AND the goal than a whizbanger that makes the guy feel warm an fuzzy. Save those rifles for yourself guys..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am right there with the other 270 shooters. My daughter and grand daughter both shoot an old FN commercial Mauser in .270 The load I make for them shoots as accurate as this old rifle is, (1 to 1.75 inches), I use RL 19 topped with a 130 grain TSX. The old Mauser is a little heavy so recoil is very soft. They have killed both elk and mule deer with this rifle and love it.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
243 Winchester with a 100 grain premium bullet, in any rifle that suits her.

Yup, I used to hunt and kill elk with my 243 before I moved up to my big 270 Win ...

Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post

My wife's rifle is a Rem 722 in 300 Savage. She short and the rifle is cut down and still weighs 8 1/2lbs, I load 165gr NP @ 2500 fps or 150's and it kills moose,brown bears, seals,caribou, etc like lightening.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
tu2

A forgotten caliber. When it came out it was touted as a near equal to the 06, and back then it actually was very close. My dad carried an original Oberndorf sporter in 300 savage for as long as I can remember. Steel butt plate, lightweight and still a pleasure to shoot as well as very capable. I wish I had a dollar for every Elk that was taken with the old 300. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Buy her gun, that usually works in hunting business

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Solid cartridge , Great bull.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Just saw this ad for the Weatherby Camilla. It's basically a Vanguard designed for women. Might be worth a look. I vote for the 270 too though. With a 130g premium bullet very little recoil and plenty for elk with good shot placement.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long time since I got on this thread.
Randall: Thanks for correcting me. Some years ago it used to .25 cal for elk, and .24 for lesser game. Since you posted that, and I just read it. I got the laws out and looked it up. Sure as heck, you're right and I was wrong. Not often but, does happen at times. Thank you sir.

I was always taught by the old time elk killers in camp that: "never ever shoot elk with less than an '06 with 180gr bullets". That's been a religion where we hunted.

I killed a bull elk with a .22 one August, but, that's illegal as can be. So was the date! Long time ago too. Put it under the ear and his head hit him in the hindend before going down like a rock.

John: What have they decided yet, or have they tried the TC?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
they're going to try hornady light mags in the t/c .300 for practice, and use i believe barnes tsx for the hunt. i forget what he got for weight in the barnes. we'll see how she handles it on the range...