Find
Notify
Tools

Grand Slam of Ewes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Bought my points for Nevada a couple of days ago.

I am working on a grand slam of ewes.

I figure Nevada, New Mexico, Montana and often a few other states have ewe tags they give out.

If I kill 4 ewes that is a Grand Slam, my requirements are only that you kill 4 ewes for it to count.

Wild sheep only, so don't go shooting your neighbors beloved wooly buggers.

So far as of yet, I have not taken any sheep species. I took a couple of feral goat nannies in Australia, but at the time I was going for the world slam.

Anyone else working on their SOE or Slam of Ewes?

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Do you ever get to hunt?

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is there a purpose to this post???????

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know about Wyoming guys and ewes,he aint talking hunting!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:

Texas has the most domestic sheep these days.

Rank
State
Head
% Of U.S.
Texas
14.20%

California
10.56%

Colorado
7.01%

Wyoming
6.81%

Utah
5.28%
South Dakota
5.18%

Idaho
4.80%
Montana
4.22%

Oregon
3.74%
Iowa
2.98%

Texas is also second in gays. https://www.therichest.com/ric...ulations-in-america/

Most sheep most gays, I am telling you that is the statistic!

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Do you ever get to hunt?

We have been here 18 months, I had drawn a good tag in Arizona I had to burn because we found out about this job after I had already applied.

It took me a long time to get everything done to get a hunting license in Germany and I missed the first two classes that were local due to them being filled up.

I hope to hunt this year. If we don't move again. So far that isn't going too well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So not really, I have not hunted since 2013 when we left Australia.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I see a whole new series of SCI hunting awards coming down the pike. Not only can you get the Woodpecker Grand Slam, you can get the Ewe Grand Slam. Get both the Woodpecker Grand Slam and the Ewe Grand Slam and get a free (for $1000) gold ring to commemorate the accomplishments.

Mike

Posts: 21046 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

Yeah but we use ours for wool!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
Its all about priorities. You couldn’t pay me enough to miss 4 hunting seasons. You’ll never get those back.

Todd

I have had 3 international moves, and 4 cross country stateside moves because of work since Nov 2013.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You’ll never get those back.

I tell that to a lot of people I well be lucky to have another 20 falls to hunt.

Miss one and it is a large percentage of time.

Posts: 19289 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
You’ll never get those back.

I tell that to a lot of people I well be lucky to have another 20 falls to hunt.

Miss one and it is a large percentage of time.

I agree with both of you.

Regarding state to state moves I often hear people say, "As a new resident you will have to pay non-resident fees so you'll probably want to wait until your second year to hunt."
Roll Eyes

Miss a year of hunting in a new place because you don't want to shell out $600!? I just don't get it...

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no problem paying for nonresident tags.

I have been accumulating non-resident points in a lot of western states over the years.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

A person who hasn't hunted in 5 years doesn't want to hunt very bad

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eh,

Grad school, work, 4 cross country movies, 3 international moves and 3 kids under 6.

Done a lot of shooting, but it is hard to be gone away from work and family when I am not really there to begin with much.

I am hunting next week in Central Germany for a week of roe stalking and then in September things should get normal again as I get closer to being done with school.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

That wasn't directed at you. I was just making a general comment on what Todd and P-dog said.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

A person who hasn't hunted in 5 years doesn't want to hunt very bad

Shoot, if I can't make it out for some kind of hunting or camping at least every couple months I start to get major cabin fever. My wife can tell and starts finding ways to get me out of her hair - "Honey, isn't there some hunting or fishing you need to do?" God bless that woman! Smiler

Posts: 3288 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

That wasn't directed at you. I was just making a general comment on what Todd and P-dog said.

No worries!

Most of my life since I retired has either been in California or Kentucky.

In California I had millions of acres of BLM to offroad, shoot, and mess around but not much to hunt.

In Kentucky, I had nothing.

I am convinced living in the South for me is bad for my soul.

A lack of millions of acres of BLM really brings a man down.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Rank
State
Head
% Of U.S.
Texas
14.20%

California
10.56%

Colorado
7.01%

Wyoming
6.81%

Utah
5.28%
South Dakota
5.18%

Idaho
4.80%
Montana
4.22%

Oregon
3.74%
Iowa
2.98%

Texas is also second in gays. https://www.therichest.com/ric...ulations-in-america/

Most sheep most gays, I am telling you that is the statistic!

Well, I dont see Wisconsin or Ohio (thank goodness) on that list.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I see a whole new series of SCI hunting awards coming down the pike. Not only can you get the Woodpecker Grand Slam, you can get the Ewe Grand Slam. Get both the Woodpecker Grand Slam and the Ewe Grand Slam and get a free (for $1000) gold ring to commemorate the accomplishments.

A wooly pecker slam sounds great.
Plenty of Aussies would qualify without firing a bullet !

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not only can you get the Woodpecker Grand Slam

The hardest would be the Ivory bill woodpecker.

Posts: 19289 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
There is a guy here that has committed the rest of his life to finding a live Ivory Billed Woodpecker. He is living in a tree house in the middle of the Roanoke River NWR. I see him every now and then. His English is not that good and we have a tough time communicating. My Dad thinks he is hiding from something! He picked a big enough swamp for a hiding place. There use to be a $50,000 reward for providing a video. The last one seen was in Arkansas on the Bayo de Meto.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote