Find
Notify
Tools

Worst Mount ever!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted
You don't expect this appalling effort after paying the big bucks to hunt the friggan thing. This is a friends mount from a Taxidermist we wish not to name.
Kinda Goofy looking...gotta get a laugh out of it l guess!

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's sad. One eye looking at you and one looking FOR you. My daughter has a cat that's cross-eyed. Love the lipstick.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pitiful. I've seen one posted of a bear that was smiling. It was pretty bad also.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lol oh man. do you have any pics of the animal in the field? Imagine if it was just a goofy looking cat and he actually nailed it.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Classic example of taking a trophy to a taxidermist that is really good mounting deer or ducks, but rarely ever works on anything else.

This is going to mot be received well, but, stuff like this is more the fault of the hunter than the taxidermist. Admittedly there are bad taxidermists, but any hunter taking a trophy of any kind to someone that specializes in a particular group/type of animals, is asking for trouble.

Just because someone is a great artist with deer or elk, does not mean they know shit about mounting a cat of any kind.

That is why the bigger/better shops employ several taxidermists, each with their own specialty.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ass-eye is the correct term.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The more I look at the harder I laugh thanks you just extended my life.

They say a good laugh makes you live longer.

Beginning taxidermist or someone who never done a cat.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Did he order the form from the Winnie the Pooh collection, put him on a "Tigger" form?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
lol oh man. do you have any pics of the animal in the field? Imagine if it was just a goofy looking cat and he actually nailed it.

It's a Dork Cat.

In reference to Ron White's humor about the "Dork Fish".

OP, sorry for your friend's pain. Just curious, did you have it done in US, or have it done in AUS?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speechless to say the least!

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I love it!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has to be a joke.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:

It's a Dork Cat.

it was taken over bait.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Crazy is right, there are darn few taxidermists who can make a cougar look right. It pays to ask to see their previous work before going with just anyone!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Hec Fellas, l gotta laugh at some of your comments. Yes Crazy horse, it could well have been a case of my ignorance & poor decision making. The hunt was in New Mexico 2011 with J.J Romero, his dogs are class and quality to say the least, a buddy and l flew from Oz and l assured him that the Taxidermist l knew would look after him in everyway and l must say l felt his pain when he received some teaser pics...anyway, a year later the mount arrived, he was mortified and l felt like a real twit.

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
This pic doesn't actually do the size of the cat any justice. It was a nice presentive male Tom. No monster by any means but a good trophy non the less.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
lol...how fukd is that mount!....classic fuk up!

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
One eye looking at you and one looking FOR you.
rotflmo

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should name the taxidermist. Save someone else from making the same mistake. Personally if it was mine I would refuse to pay for it and let the taxidermist keep it. The pic is a better trophy than that thing is. I'd get the photo blown up to 2ft x 3 ft and have it framed and put it in the trophy room instead.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
That's a shame.

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take it to a local guy quickly - he may be able to remount it. i've had a couple similar happenings and was successful in remounting

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
It's no consolation I'm sure, but I've seen the same things with bobcats. I've seen some very bad bobcat heads when I've gone places like Cabella's or Bass Pro Shops.

Seems it's hard to get good cat forms? Which is why I asked if your guy was in US or not.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's no consolation I'm sure, but I've seen the same things with bobcats. I've seen some very bad bobcat heads when I've gone places like Cabella's or Bass Pro Shops.

Plus 100 on that. To me, it seems like carnivores are harder to get right than deer and such, although I have seen some really bad mounts of good deer.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
maybe is was due to a magnetic anomaly when he crossed the equator, fly him back to see if it corrects itself Wink

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
sforsby, don't be too hard on yourself - I'm sure you felt plenty bad to begin with!

At the end of the day, it's the taxidermist who's responsible for his own taxidermy. He knows his skills; and if he's out of his league (as is soooo obviously apparent, in hindsight), then he should have been man enough to just say so at the beginning.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an observation from over the years, but I have seen a lot of folks get into the taxidermy business after having practiced for a few tears doing mounts for family/friends.

They did just a few mounts a year for a few years and got pretty dang good, especially on white tails.

Then they hung out their shingle and began taking in work from strangers. The problems began to occur because they took their skill and went from doing just a few mounts a year, stuff they could taker a break from for a few days and nobody got concerned.

Once they turned Professional, it became a job and from my experience once an activity changes from a hobby to a job, it stops being fun and to stay in business you have to turn fun into work and they begin accepting more work than they can keep up with and they begin accepting jobs dealing with animals that have limited or no experience with.

This rocks along for a few years and clients are not necessarily the most patient of individuals and not the most prompt to pay as per agreed too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a local taxidermist here in Pagosa that does a fantastic job of Mtn Lions. I'll ask how long one would have to get the hide off and remount if you want...........

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He must have used a kangaroo form to mount it on!!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Yep weird cat.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer pagosawingnut, l would keen to know the possibility of success having a full re-mount?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damndest thing I've ever seen in my life! I hope you can get it redone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cats are very difficult to get right. However, I would't let the clown who mounted this do ANY animal. He surely knew it was horrible when he supposedly sent it and never should have.

I'd ask for my $$$ back.

There was a similar story on monstermuleys.com. The guy ended up having it remounted. It turned out very nice. I'll see if I can find the link and post it.

I feel bad for your friend.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the link- Before and after pic's:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/.../582.html#.VJcmPsAKA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember that MM thread from 2012. That taxi performed a miracle on that botched cat and I hope the same can be done with this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
I remember that MM thread from 2012. That taxi performed a miracle on that botched cat and I hope the same can be done with this one.

Hi Topgun:

Good to hear from you; hope all is well.

I agree. That taxi did what I thought was impossible. I sure hope the cat from this thread can be saved as well. I shot my cat last winter and am glad I have an experienced guy doing the work!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cats are hard to do. I can recommend Southwest Wildlife in AZ. They have done a bobcat, leopard, and male African lion and I am thrilled with the results. Just my opinion, but cats are a lot better looking with the mouth closed.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Here is the link- Before and after pic's:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/.../582.html#.VJcmPsAKA

Absolutely amazing re-mount. There oughta be a special license required for cats.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Cats are extremely difficult to get looking right. Here is one I just got back a few months ago. Here is a face shot while it was still at the shop (Wildlife Recapture, Libby, MT) I think it came out well......

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote