Find
Notify
Tools

Warmest thinnest gloves.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
My woolen gloves are fairly warm (not great), just a bit thick.
Any recommendations on a thinwall hunting glove that is plenty warm? I've tried the thinsulates and doeskin, bulky with fake fur, etc.

CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Kuiu and others make thin gloves that will keep the breeze off your hands, but I would call the pair that I have “warm” but they do have warmer(though bulkier) options.

I have a very inexpensive pair of fleece mittens in realtree camp. The finger portion of the mitten folds back to expose your fingers which are still covered in a glove that covers about half of each finger.

I have used them well below zero and they work perfectly well: warm when not in action, then quick fold back to get into action when needed. But they aren’t super thin...

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a very inexpensive pair of fleece mittens in realtree camp. The finger portion of the mitten folds back to expose your fingers which are still covered in a glove that covers about half of each finger.

I use this type also. Cost me about 30 bucks at wally world. In real cold I combine hand or toe warmers. I like the toe warmers the best one sticky side then they do not fall off.

For warmer but still need hand covering their are many thin stretchy types out there.

None are perfect, none last a long time holes in the finger tips after while.

I never buy real expensive ones as they are to easily lost.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No such critter, mittens but I hate to wear them.

I use those plastic bag inserts that you crush and stick in your jacket pocket or in your gloves..Hands get cold hunting and working cattle or practicing roping in the winter and those glove inserts are the only thing that works for me..other than staying in the house at my age these days..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like "Arctic Shield" Thin and Warm. Gloves and mittens. Mittens have a slit to have fingers out. When really cold I wear the gloves inside the mittens with fingers out with the thin gloves.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input gentleman.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
If the weather is extremely cold (Northern NY, NE Montana, etc.) I have a pair of Goretex down mittens I hunt with. I carry my rifle cross wise (I'm righty) and if I see game while still hunting or other wise I simply pinch the mitten under my left arm and my right hand is naked and warm. I let the mitten drop after the shot. Seems unintuitive but it works. It's smooth, and non startling to animals.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I let the mitten drop after the shot

A good way to lose it.

There is a reason a right handed person has more left hand gloves around.

The right one is taken off more often and get left some place

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Not directly what you’re asking about, but a solution we’ve discovered while waterfowl hunting. Regardless of what you wear for gloves, a pair of cheap, single use nitrile gloves like nurses wear are great as a base layer, especially if in a wet environment like duck hunting. You can buy a box of 100 in BLACK (import so ducks don’t pick up hand movement) at Home Depot for less than $10. Wear them for one hunt and dispose. Just keeping hands dry does wonders for warmth.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great suggestion DLS! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. Looks like its going to be a cold Deer hunt this year. Snow for the opener Saturday. I'm not sure what the material is, but I bought a pair of Remington gloves a few years back and they have been pretty good. Light and thin enough to shoot and have kept me warm so far. Also have a pair of Millsurp gloves that my Son gave me when he came home from Korea. They're not too bad.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with a two-layer approach. I use a thin underglove as a liner (I think I'm using Sitka Ascents now), and a heavier overglove (Sitka GTX) with a heat pack stuffed in the back (dorsum) of the outer glove to help add warmth during cold sits in a stand.

Posts: 1425 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of windproof Polarfleece gloves I bought at a farm store years back. I've got no idea who made them, but they're the best I've found so far.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote