New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Bull Elk - 2020
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just thought I would share with you guys my bull from Idaho I took a few days ago...plus a little info behind it too! My desire this fall was to take a 390"+ bull from the Gem state. Despite knowing it would be a high mark, I was mostly prepared to hold out as much as I could stand!

I started bow hunting Aug. 30th, but it was not until Sept. 9th that I found the bull I was looking for. In fact I found two of them on that day...in the morning I located an 8x9 that I knew was definitely over 400", and that evening (not far away) I found a 6x7 I figured was 395". The rut was kicking in, so the big bulls were starting to come out to play.
On the 10th I again saw the 8x9, and made a plan for him that evening. However, he zigged when I zagged and the sun was gone before I could catch up to him that evening with my bow.

The same day, some goofball started a fire just a couple miles south and by morning the hills were crawling with firefighters, forest service folks, LE, etc. It quickly grew into a huge fire (burning 105,000 acres) and authorities closed the entire area for just over a month! Needless to say, I haven't seen either of those two bulls since. I did however spend lots of time elsewhere, looking over dozens and dozens of bulls up through early October with muzzy / rifle too. I passed numerous 350" - 375" bulls...hoping I would find the right one. By October however, a lot of the really big bulls were broke from fighting...adding additional difficulty to the task.

I decided to take a few days off, then returned on Oct. 13th to resume my search. By now any decent bull was by himself or with other bulls, and in much different parts of the unit than just a couple weeks earlier...I never saw a cow again. Then on the evening of Oct. 15th I spotted the bull below. I quickly worked to within 142 yards of him (he was all alone) and sat there for 5 minutes debating whether or not to shoot? He finally turned and walked off over a little hump, re-appearing at 287 yards...and my better judgement finally kicked in.

I knew he wasn't 390", but with all his horns intact and a 46" inside spread - I decided I better not pass him! At 383" he's my biggest Idaho bull so far, and considering the bad luck with the fire...I think I was most fortunate to find him. Hopefully next year I can find that 8x9 again, and have another go at him?!

Sorry the pics aren't the best. I was by myself, thus no one to help me with good field photos, etc. I think you can click on them to enlarge as well?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

You gotta be likin' Idaho!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Aaron,

You gotta be likin' Idaho!

Mark

Indeed... Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous bull! The blading +kicker on the t
5th is awesome!

Posts: 247 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. That's a serious hunter that "settles" for taking a 383" bull elk.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
What kind of unit is this, a special draw or something to be seeing that many big bulls?

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Just thought I would share with you guys my bull from Idaho I took a few days ago...plus a little info behind it too! My desire this fall was to take a 390"+ bull from the Gem state. Despite knowing it would be a high mark, I was mostly prepared to hold out as much as I could stand!

I started bow hunting Aug. 30th, but it was not until Sept. 9th that I found the bull I was looking for. In fact I found two of them on that day...in the morning I located an 8x9 that I knew was definitely over 400", and that evening (not far away) I found a 6x7 I figured was 395". The rut was kicking in, so the big bulls were starting to come out to play.
On the 10th I again saw the 8x9, and made a plan for him that evening. However, he zigged when I zagged and the sun was gone before I could catch up to him that evening with my bow.

The same day, some goofball started a fire just a couple miles south and by morning the hills were crawling with firefighters, forest service folks, LE, etc. It quickly grew into a huge fire (burning 105,000 acres) and authorities closed the entire area for just over a month! Needless to say, I haven't seen either of those two bulls since. I did however spend lots of time elsewhere, looking over dozens and dozens of bulls up through early October with muzzy / rifle too. I passed numerous 350" - 375" bulls...hoping I would find the right one. By October however, a lot of the really big bulls were broke from fighting...adding additional difficulty to the task.

I decided to take a few days off, then returned on Oct. 13th to resume my search. By now any decent bull was by himself or with other bulls, and in much different parts of the unit than just a couple weeks earlier...I never saw a cow again. Then on the evening of Oct. 15th I spotted the bull below. I quickly worked to within 142 yards of him (he was all alone) and sat there for 5 minutes debating whether or not to shoot? He finally turned and walked off over a little hump, re-appearing at 287 yards...and my better judgement finally kicked in.

I knew he wasn't 390", but with all his horns intact and a 46" inside spread - I decided I better not pass him! At 383" he's my biggest Idaho bull so far, and considering the bad luck with the fire...I think I was most fortunate to find him. Hopefully next year I can find that 8x9 again, and have another go at him?!

Sorry the pics aren't the best. I was by myself, thus no one to help me with good field photos, etc. I think you can click on them to enlarge as well?

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAR60:
What kind of unit is this, a special draw or something to be seeing that many big bulls?

quote:

Correct...it was in a "controlled hunt" unit in Idaho!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Nice Bull Aaron.

Is it safe to assume ISS set you up on that Bull?

Big Grin

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3385 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
Nice Bull Aaron.

Big Grin

What's ISS?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a killer bull! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull. Is that a draw on public land or something else? Be nice to chase those every year Wink

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Nice Bull Aaron.

Big Grin

What's ISS?

Idaho Sharpshooter. Smiler

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3385 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did I see this hunt on World of Sports Afield?

If so, you were killing me with the Bulls you passed.

Congratulations! You have the will power of a Jedi.

Posts: 10837 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Nice bull. Is that a draw on public land or something else? Be nice to chase those every year Wink

Public land...controlled hunt unit

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Nice Bull Aaron.

Big Grin

What's ISS?

Idaho Sharpshooter. Smiler

Now that's funny... rotflmo

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:

That was last year's hunt in Idaho, in a different unit about 30 miles away. That too was a very nice bull...379".

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a draw? I'm guessing not....

I'll see if I can google controlled hunt units

Pretty awesome to have B&C bulls staring you in the face every year!

quote:
quote:

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that a draw? I'm guessing not....

I'll see if I can google controlled hunt units

Pretty awesome to have B&C bulls staring you in the face every year!

quote:
quote:

Yes...the areas I generally hunt in Idaho are all "draw" units. In Idaho they refer to them as "controlled hunt" units. Sorry for not clarifying that a little better.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:

This is the bull you would have seen on the show recently...the 2019 hunt / bull.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That’s a fantastic Bull for anywhere, but especially for Idaho. The real tough thing about the controlled hunt units is how hard it is just to get drawn. Especially as a non-resident. But, there are some damn good bucks and bulls, especially in the non-wolf units.

Congratulations on an exceptional bull!

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow Aaron; you know how to do it!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys... tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com