Find
Notify
Tools

NM results are posted
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted
Looks like my wife finally drew a Gila elk tag.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
Congrats to her! My pops and I did not, though he drew unit 15 last year. saw 2 very big bulls but could not get quite within bow range.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Good deal Bob! Bow, muzzleloader, or rifle? Our family has hunted a couple Gila hunts for several years, so let me know if you have any questions. I may be able to help you get headed in the right direction.

Of 23 applications I submitted for my immediate family (yeah, we like to hunt), we pulled eight. Five don't really count because they're pretty much gimme tags in the draw - four javelina and a desert mule deer in a little desired unit. The other three are pretty decent though. The two older kids will hunt cow elk in the Valles Caldera and my eldest gets to chase oryx again next spring. If I can snag an encouragement elk hunt fo the youngest, who just passed hunter ed a couple months ago, we should end up with a decent fall.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I managed to draw Cow Elk, Deer and off-range Oryx. Sure hop I'll be able to use the tags.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Looks like she drew her 3rd choice which is unit 23.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who do you contact in NM for permits for white sands area, and for off that area, in NM? been wanting to be can't seem to find where to go and look. Thanks

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
What is it you’re after? Permits? To hunt Oryx on public land or White Sands you have to make an application for the lottery draw which just took place so you’ll have to wait until next year for that. If you’re asking about private land Oryx hunts this excerpt from the 2019-2020 NM Hunting Rules & Info, page 110 may help:

Private-land Hunts (These are not Once-in-a-Lifetime Hunts )
Private-land Oryx Licenses are valid only on deeded private land. Hunters must obtain and possess written permission from the landowner. Private-land Oryx Licenses are valid for a period of one month and must correspond to the hunt dates, eligibility requirements/restrictions, sporting arm type and bag limits listed in the above table. In addition to the dates listed above statewide private- land, off–range licenses are available for April and May. Licenses are available at NMDGF offices and license vendors, online: www wildlife state nm us, or by telephone: 1-888-248-6866. Online and telephone purchases must be made at least 14 days prior to hunt start date to allow mailing of tag.

And the non-resident Oryx tag is $1,610, plus whatever the landowner charges.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I managed to draw Cow Elk, Deer and off-range Oryx. Sure hop I'll be able to use the tags.

John, what month off-range? Have you hunted them before? We have been decently successful, so shoot me a PM if you need to get pointed in the right direction.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Colorado Bob, which Gila unit did you guys draw? I’ve hunted elk in 13, 15 & 16A, probably 6 times in 15 and once each in the other 2 units. If you’re hunting on your own and want any advice, shoot me a PM.

BTW, I did not get drawn in NM this year. Was hoping to draw an oryx tag on White Sands.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Tons of folks around here have drawn Gila elk tags, but I have yet to meet anyone who drew a oryx tag.

I didn't apply.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I drew a Unit 34 cow elk rifle tag, early December. Hope that after the back surgery I can actually hunt like I used to.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Bill, unless I have a conflicting hunt I'll come help you pack her out.

Won't know until Arizona coues and javelina drawings are done.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gracias, friend!

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pulled a Barbary tag and feel pretty lucky with single digit odds percentages. Never been to NM hunting, but look forward to the adventure.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote