Find
Notify
Tools

22wmr and 22 insert for drilling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys sorry if this is a dumb question.

I know that you have to have the barrel machined to accept an insert.

My question is will a 22 hornet insert work in a gun that has been machined for a 22wmr insert
( long insert about 14 inches)

The hornet is centerfire and I did not know if it would just drop in.

The gun is a merkel BBF in 16 over 7-65R.

Thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends. I have a Sauer Luxe that is fitted with a 5.6x50r full length that will also take an Einstecklauf 22 WRM. But my Meffert Hubertus that will take the same Einstecklauf will not take the full length insert.
There are a number of manufacturers for center fire inserts and there are differences in how they are fit to the gun. I have seen an Einstecklauf that was in 22 hornet, but as I recall the owner claimed it wouldn't hold zero.
Wish you luck.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be possible but in my experience, a gun barrel is usually machined to accept one ESTL. I have seen two ESTL in a drilling, one fitted to each shotgun barrel.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243ackley:
Guys sorry if this is a dumb question.

I know that you have to have the barrel machined to accept an insert.

My question is will a 22 hornet insert work in a gun that has been machined for a 22wmr insert
( long insert about 14 inches)

The hornet is centerfire and I did not know if it would just drop in.

The gun is a merkel BBF in 16 over 7-65R.

Thanks for your help.

I doubt this firing pin for the center fire Hornet will work with the 22Mag rimfire cartridge, or vice-versa. old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, any gunsmith can make you an insert that should work.

Our best efforts was turning an old 223 barrel down to fit in a Ruger #1.

The Ruger was a 458 Winchester magnum, re-chambered for the 460 Weatherby magnum.

The insert was 12 inches long, and just fits in the Rutgers barrel.

Our trick was putting the insert in, and letting someone shoot it in 223 Remington.

Then we get him occupied, when we take the insert out, and put a 460 Weatherby round in!

The shock when they pull the trigger is amazing! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't that appear as a video a number of years ago, or was that one of those mini cannons that look like shoulder rifles that you have?
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A gunsmith can make an insert, but hitting something with it is another matter. The insert must be adjustable for point of impact. The most common among the good ones is the Krieghoff in .22 LR and 22 Magnum. I have several in each in short and long version in 12, 16 and 20ga. I also have a rare one in 22 Hornet. The best ones are full length with an external adjustment at the muzzle. Zimmerman and K&S in Germany make good ones. They must be imported by a firearms importer as a barrel. They are rare here but fairly common in Germany. Plan on paying $1500 for one of those by the time it makes it to these shores. To answer the original question, you will have to have the new insert fitted just as the rimfire insert was fitted.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can get them from Germany no problem. I just don’t want to go through the hassle of having a gunsmith modify my drilling for a 22 hornet and then not be able to get it sighted in.

The inserts I saw when I was in Germany had 4 adjustment holes on the muzzle end to change the poi.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A full length Hornet ESTL that is VVV...vom vorne Verstallbar...or adjustable at the front...should pose no problem. I have never understood the allure of the 22 or 22WMR ESTL. I would always prefer a 22 Hornet, 222 or 5.6 x52R. The 5.6 x50R is one of the most powerful 22 centerfires and for me too much as an ESTL.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote