New
Find
Notify
Tools

JP Sauer drilling range report
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got this model 3000 drilling in 16/16/7.57R right before Christmas but it cam without rings for the pivot mounts. Just got some EAW pivot rings this week and fitted them up. Went to range with some 139 SST Hornady's and H4350 in new RWS brass. Fired 3 at each level with 2-3 minutes between shots, decided 44.0 was pretty good and I had a few left so I confirmed 100 yard zero with one shot then removed and replaced the scope to test the mount and fired shots 2 and 3. Not bad. The taped up holes were from the range officer zeroing someone elses rifle, I was using his target. He fired them after I shot my group but before the cease fire so I could grab the target.

Then I started messing with the Kreighoff 22lr insert at 50 yards. Got a nice 3 shot group close to where I wanted. Since the insert is in the right barrel I wanted to hit .5" right so the bullet doesnt keep crossing and I have a decent chance at a longer shot if necessary. So I took the insert out and made one last tiny adjustment and bingo!

All in all a pretty good showing for this late 1960's model.

Posts: 28 | Location: DFW | Registered: 03 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
It's amazing to me how well those Sauer's shoot! Looks like you got a good one!

I love my 12/30-06. One world gun!

Cheers on a beautiful gun!

JDA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good groop,i have sauer s well in 303 british,extremly accurate ,drilling,,,,ALWAYS READY

Posts: 139 | Location: Canada | Registered: 08 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice set up. Sounds like it's shooting great. The rifle barrel on dillings amaze me at how well they shoot, as do the inserts. One thing I always do is do several sets of quick three shot groups, to see where the bullets go as the barrel warms. It's something nice to know when you don't get the perfect hit with the first shot.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the kind words. That is a good idea about quick shots to see where they go, will do it next time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing I always do is do several sets of quick three shot groups, to see where the bullets go as the barrel warms. It's something nice to know when you don't get the perfect hit with the first shot.

My experience has been that the second shot usually groups well...that every shot after that climbs the ladder.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drillings are just cool....period. Nice piece and good shooting.

Pretty much what JonP said. I have a few drillings, doubles and combination guns and every one of them "climbs the ladder", as Jon said, as the barrel heats.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
all the European 7mm have really long throats. I have found that they shoot 154 gr. a lot better. if you switch to the 154's and wait about 10 min between shots those groups will tighten up even tighter.
Having said that I don't want to sound negative because those groups are just fine as they are, especially if you prefer the lighter bullet. You're not going to miss anything with the way that gun is shooting.
The Sauer 3000's are awesome, I especially like the Simi beaver tail forearm on you're gun. Mine has a full beaver tail and I feel it's a little clumsy. How do those 139 shoot with the Iron sights. If there good then that's another reason not to change anything. On the other hand if they don't then that might be a reason to consider a different bullet.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
drillings can be tricky to shoot,especially after few round one afther one,once u figure out your drilling i bet will be your fvourite weapon due it versality,today drilling cost is among most priced gun on market,,its not ideal weapon for every hunter same its not bolt action, i own 2 drillings,one is sauer in 303 british and one is 9.3x74r from ADAMY GEBRUDER,honestly i can say i love drillings the most,so much history,clasicc look and hand work is involved in building drilling that no any other machine can take over this work,thats why are prices so much,but life of drilling is almoust importal,if u want be always ready for any situation any animall from mice to biggest bear take a drilling,

Posts: 139 | Location: Canada | Registered: 08 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 139's hit about 3 moa low using the standard barrel iron sight. If I have to use the barrel sight it is no problem to hold up a little extra front bead. I like the lighter bullet.

posted Hide Post
congratulations...btw how did you make the adjustment on the 22 insert? Steve

Posts: 10 | Location: dallas, tx. | Registered: 15 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This 22 insert is made by Kreighoff. It has adjustable sliding pads that you move back or forth to change where the insert points

One of Us
posted Hide Post
die, that's a good group from the insert. I have a 10 inch one I am trying to get new pads for. PO filed them down so much they won't adjust in my drilling.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3- try just putting a flat shim under the pad. You probably need .005 or less. That thin you can cut it to shape with some scissors. Should work fine.