Notify
Tools

28 gauge shotgun, today?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello
Shotguns are great, I like them a lot.
But, how is the 28 gauge one to use today? Better of with a 16 or 20 gauge?

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

Posts: 316 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Within 30 yards a 28 will do just about anything a 20 will but with a lot less recoil. 28s make great guns for quail, forest grouse, rabbits, and similar game. The shot string of the 28 tends to be shorter than that of the 20 so the 20 is the better choice for longer ranges.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Well, thats not bad. I just think,, the average shots in the woods here are closer to 10-25 meters.
And the weight of a 28 Smiler

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot South Dakota pheasants with a double 28 gauge all the time. It is about all I hunt with anymore. I love it 5pounds on the nose and dead birds and it's pretty too.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I love my stable of 28's and have killed plenty of pheasant, chukar, doves and quail with them. As you get older the small gauges have a lot of appeal and make the hunting much more enjoyable! tu2 In fact, I just purchased a new 28 gauge in the new Ithaca Model 37 pump shotgun and love it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply.

My next shotgun will be a s/s Spanish gun in 28 cal Smiler

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the "improvement" of the 28 bore is due to modern quality crimp closure cartridges with quality (3% antimony or even plated) shot.

Certainly with the right shot size it can hold its own at up to twenty-five or even thirty yards with any modern 12 bore.

Where it may be disappointing is on long "going away" shots at over thirty yards on small birds - think quail or in Europe woodcock - or long shots with large size shot.

But for most sensible ranges I see no disadvantage and one BIG advantage...others in you shooting party can't "borrow" your cartridges!

With non-lead shot I would have doubts about the 28 bore however.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply and help.
Yes, I am sold, I HAVE to get a 28 bore. Smiler

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
28 is a great round. Not alot of ammo available in stores, but Im going to start reloading to defer that. I have 2 small [stature] sons that I put on 28 doubles [S/S and an O/U] and they can shoot the poo out of them. I have a pretty little Italian one, so we can all shoot teh same ammo

Posts: 53 | Location: Virginia and Georgia | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote