THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Who here has re-regulated a Valmet combo gun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here has re-regulated a Valmet combo gun?
 Login/Join

posted
I try not to rush in where Angels fear to tread. I have read the Valmet Operator's manual posted here, and want to make my 12gauge/8x57JRS barrels (actually made by Marocchi) more usable. At 50 yards, the 8x57JRS barrel shoots much higher than the shotgun barrel. They are just fine for windage. I understand that I adjust windage through the adjustment on the middle of the barrel set. Is there thread locker on the screws, especially does it require heat to get them loose? What range did you set the barrels to coincide at? I bought laser cartridges for both 8x57JRS and 12 gauge to do preliminary work at home. What am I missing?

Posts: 29 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not regulated a cape gun before but it can't be that much different than regulating a double rifle. I have regulated several side by sides and a couple of over/under rifles.
First of all you need to know that you can't regulate the gun, or even get it decently close by using lasers. That is because of the recoil forces, and in the case of side by sides, the rotational forces of the gun trying to twist around it's center of gravity.
I would have to see how your gun is made to be adjusted before I could offer an opinion about getting it regulated. Bob

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the front adjustment, muzzle, on mine works for windage, the middle works for elevation. My impression is that you are adjusting the rifle barrel TO the shotgun barrel.

After you get the windage right on, lasers didn't work for me, move the middle all the way forward: Shoot it, note where it hits, higher? lower? Now move it all the way back, shoot it. This should give you an idea of how to adjust the barrel.Are you trying to shoot slugs out of the shotgun barrel or just a load of #5's? If just shot, pattern the gun on a large sheet of paper and mark the center of it, see if you can adjust the rifle barrel to hit that point.

The best way to regulate the gun may be by trying different brands of ammo, different bullet weights vs. different shotgun ammo. I found that in one gun Brennekes and Norma ammo, or reloads approximating it, worked perfectly, in another I had to go to low velocity slugs to get slugs and bullets to come together. Some high velocity shot ammo is too high, some just right.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the responses.

I am pleased I did not pay much for the laser cartridges. I will try them anyway, and see what they tell me.

When I was a boy in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia, they had a period where everything was in season. I can not tell you how many times I brought a rifle for deer hunting, and saw none, but squirrels & grouse were everywhere. I now live in Michigan, where grouse season stops the day before deer season. I will probably be trying to regulate the rifle barrel with something like 5s in the shot barrel.

Posts: 29 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is correct to adjust the sights to the shotgun, then the rifle to the sights. The shotgun should be on. If not, filing or replacing front sights may be required. If it shoots too high or low, I have taller or shorter replacement front sights. Adjusting the rifle barrel should be moved only about .010 at a time. A little goes a long way. Windage at the muzzle and elevation at the middle of the barrel.

Good luck.

You also should get a scope mount because once the irons and rifle barrel are adjusted and the scope adjusted to the rifle, everything will align with the scope.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The windage is adjusted at the muzzle screw and is pretty self-explanatory.

The elevation on the Valmet is adjusted at the wedge between the barrels about 1/2 way along.

Moving the wedge slightly to ADD pressure makes the rifle barrel shoot higher when it spreads the barrels apart slightly.

The converse makes the rifle shoot lower. This has very little if any effect on the shotgun POI.

DON'T be filing front sights, unless you need the shotgun absolutely regulated to the sights for slugs. Few will need to do that.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sight regulation must have been a common practice, at least when the guns were serviced in New Jersey. I have a handfull of front sights made for the combos and rifles that I got when the operation was moved to Virginia. If you want the gun to shoot slugs, you'd better check it, because many combos I have tested will shoot slugs low.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that if the owner wants it to shoot slugs he'll need to play with the front sight in most cases and adjust the rear sight for windeage. Those original rear sights were a real abortion, also. They break easily. I bought all Cape Outfitters had after Don died and have used two so far.

Vol is right about slug shooting...sight in for that, then adjust the rifle barrel with the wedge and muzzle adjustment to the sights.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never kept count of how many Valmets I've regulated, but it must be close to a hundred, if not over.

The FIRST thing you have to do is, decide on what exactly you want this combo to do?

Do you need it to shoot slugs? Have you picked what ammo you are going to use??

These things have to be decided before you start regulating.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote