New
Find
Notify
Tools

FinnClassic 512 and rimless cartridges?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone experience with the Finnclassic and rimless cartridges?

Im thinking about extraction/ejection..

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to the current production but I owned a Finnish-made Valmet 412 combination gun for a while, a 12 over 223, and it's extraction was not perfect. I was tempted to have it rechambered to 220 Swift but never got around to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have numerous 412 bbl.sets that are chambered for rimless cartridges, and all of them have worked well, UNLESS you handload hot loads. Hot loads will cause sticky extraction.

The one thing i don't like about rimless cartridges in a 412, is the way the extractor has to be spring loaded, and you have to push or pull the case against the extractor when loading or unloading... It's not hard to do, it's just annoying.

I've never seen or heard of a Valmet bbl. chambered for a "rimless" cartridge that had an "ejector"...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .223/12 Valmet combo barrel and I have considered having the chamber cut for the 5.6X50R case head to ease extraction. I would leave the chamber as a .223, and resize and trim 5.6X50R cases to fit the .223 chamber. I even bought an extra extractor so that I could revert to .223 if needed. I have never found a gunsmith willing to do the work and to guarantee it. Any suggestions? I too don't believe that there were/are any rimless ejector barrels.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote