THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    In Which barrel do you prefer you subcaliber insert?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In Which barrel do you prefer you subcaliber insert?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 16 GA Kreighoff with a .22 Magnum barrel in the right shotgun barrel, and a Sauer 3000 12GA with a .22 LR insert for the left barrel. I can see advantages for both. In which barrel do you prefer it, and why?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Most people install the einstucklauf in the right shot barrel. Thats the one that also fires the rifle barrel and has the set trigger.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Right barrel, so you can set the trigger. I've never seen one in the left barrel, but I suppose if you got used to it you'd be ok with it, though I wouldn't want two drillings each with one in different barrels. When the moment of truth comes I want to be on the right trigger, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would want it in the right shotgun barrel because then I could use the rifle barrel and the left shotgun bbl with buck or slug for big stuff.

An as others have said the set trigger for the subcalibre unit.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have thought about getting a subcalibre insert for my drilling, but I can just not see when I would really need it. If the smaller animal is close enough to shoot with a 22LR or 22Mag, I just blast it with the shotgun bbl. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my drillings does not have a scope, and I am thinking that one could select the centerfire rifle barrel and then fire the insert barrel using the rifle sights if the insert is in the left barrel. I know that there are devices for holding the rear sight up without selecting the centerfire, but why complicate things?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vol717

That is a good thought. My drilling has a scope so I did not think about the iron sight angle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to have my inserts in the right shot bbl... As for the rear sight, i've learned to just aim down the rib, and that's been plenty good enough for me at the closes ranges i use rimfires...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in the left barrel of my 20 ga drilling, but all the rest are for the right barrel. I like open sights, but I also like the set trigger. I'm about to convert a krieghoff I have to manual sight for this reason.
I have inserts for all my drillings and wouldn't be without them. I hunt with them and keep on in when I'm using the rifle primarily. I keep them in the day pack when I'm using the shotgun mostly, so I can drop it in for a little squirrel hunting or just plinking. In addition to the hunting aspects, The inserts let you practice a lot, cheaply, with the drilling, so it becomes familiar to you.
Has anyone here tried putting a right barrel insert in the left barrel? They have quite a bit of adjustment and it might work fine??
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just about every 22 LR or 22 Mag Insert I've seen has been designed for the right barrel. GOOD! dancing ...I prefer to use the right for the small cal. insert.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using the right barrel for an insert barrel not only affords set trigger use in most Drillings but also normally leaves the remaining shotgun barrel (left) with the most closed choke (often 1/1-Full or 3/4-Improved Modified) for longer range and more dense shot pattern of the two shotgun tubes.

For many of the rimfire insert barrels you may just get-by affixing them in the left barrel with their small extractors; however if the insert barrels are for larger rimmed cartridges such as 5.6x52R or 5.6x50R the extractor set-up for the right tube won't be interchangable with the left extractor without considerable modification.

The 5.6x50R Zimmermann in my right barrel will not interchange with the left shotgun tube.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
Using the right barrel for an insert barrel not only affords set trigger use in most Drillings but also normally leaves the remaining shotgun barrel (left) with the most closed choke (often 1/1-Full or 3/4-Improved Modified) for longer range and more dense shot pattern of the two shotgun tubes.

For many of the rimfire insert barrels you may just get-by affixing them in the left barrel with their small extractors; however if the insert barrels are for larger rimmed cartridges such as 5.6x52R or 5.6x50R the extractor set-up for the right tube won't be interchangable with the left extractor without considerable modification.

The 5.6x50R Zimmermann in my right barrel will not interchange with the left shotgun tube.

Would it really matter (which barrel you put it in) in a center fire insert?? I'm going to see what a left barrel installation of a right insert does this week & will get back to you w/results.
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I haven't gotten around to trying the right insrt in the left barrel, but I finally did an easy conversion to lock the rear sight up any time you want to use it for a right barrel insert, slugs, turkey hunting etc.
I had designed a few elaborate levers, cross bolts, flat springs & cams etc on the under side of the sight block and finally decided to try a very simple solution, even though it requires a tool. All the others were ugly & tediouos to make or they made it a permanetly manual sight. This simply temporarily locks it up and then returns it to auto when you back off on the set screw... which is all it is. A tiny 4-40 set screw right behind the sight, that goes into an indentation in the spring loaded sight raiser (while the sigyht is up)with one turn to lock it up, and one back to release it. It's so simple & effective I kept trying to complicate things Roll Eyes
This is a Krieghoff but most can be adapted this way. Note the tiny set screw behind the sight. It's flush or slightly below the rib all the time.
Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg...

GREAT idea!!! Cool Cool Cool

I'm going to do the same to my guns. Lee LeBas used to install cross bolts to do this, but I much prefer your solution. I'm going to make a tool that works for the insert and sight set screw. Then I need to carry only one with me.

I am impressed. Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I did. This one happens to be a hex (allen) head set screw, so I just welded a piece on to a t_wrench insert key. I keep it on a lanyard attached to the sleeve I keep the insert in in my day pack. Always handy. You could use a slotted set screw just as well as it takes no pressure at all, and would be easy to just grind in one end of an L shaped key.
When you're doing this, run your tap drill in intil it just passes through the rib section (with it out) and watch as it touches the (normally brass) spring loaded sleeve that pushes the sight up. Then take it just a hair further, which will put a slight indentation in that sleeve for the set screw to settle into when you "prop it up".
I love to use open sights, and am planning to put this inconspicuous little screw into all my drillings with "auto" rear sights.
Greg