Find
Notify
Tools

Help with a drilling please
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted
Hi guys. One of my coworkers asked me for help finding out information about a rifle his nephew inherited. It was one of the few things that survived hurricane Katrina in his house and needs a little bit of restoration from salt water (still in great shape all things considered).

The manufacturer is Greifelt & Co. with the marking SUHL just below the name. The engraving appears to have been done by one Alfred Plett, Frankfurt A/M

This appears to be an 8mm JR double rifle with 16 guage shotgun barrel underneath. Has beautiful wood and interestingly a wooden trigger guard...very nicely done, but don't think I have ever seen this done before. Looks like the trigger guard may be ebony, but not sure. The whole of the receiver is engraved with scroll and has a scene with an elk on one side.

Anyway, the gun is his nephews who inherited it from his dad. Has no idea what the gun is worth, so I volunteered to ask around. Any idea where I could find more info on gun values for something like this?

Lance

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In "ordinairy" shape, your dopplebuschdrilling is worth at least 3000. In "new" condition.....at least 8000.
Greifelt was a superb maker.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a German Gun Collectors' Society, with a web-site....somewhere in the net, and authorities to whom all your questions can be effectively put. E-mail me for info.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
conifer, you have a pm

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lance
this drilling is an double riflebarrel drilling(in German Doppelbüchsdrilling) a combination which was very very rare at the old times.
When the rifle is in very good condition I agree with confer 3 K is easy to find, 5k no problem and 10K might be possible (depends to the engravings).

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot

http://www.germanguns.com

Ask Mr. Apel for detailed informations

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lance,

ask the experts in the Museum of arms in Suhl.

http://waffenmuseumsuhl.de.business-01.custom-web.de/index.php?id=47

Burkhard

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lance:
The web-site that Burkhard recommended (D. Apel) is the one I was trying to recall.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Tell your coworker to tell his nephew to NOT sell the gun!! :-(

I had a double rifle drilling, sold a few years ago, still have regrets.

Prices listed here are a good guess. For some other prices and drool factor try http://www.pugsguns.com and look at the double rifle drilling he's selling.

Greifelt is a great maker, hope he has the gun completely cleaned up from after the hurricane to stop corrosion.

8x57JR (.318 diam, not .323 of the JRS) is a great caliber, kind o' like the .308, and loaded ammo is available (try http://www.drillinghotline.com or Old Western Scrounger).

Please tell him to be careful with shotgun shells also, the barrel is most likely quite thin and may only be chambered for the 2 1/2 shells. These are also available and may be loaded to lower pressures.

Lucky stinker...

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention, the trigger guard is most likely horn, not at all uncommon on drillings and double rifles from Germany. In the dry climate of Montana I had a horn trigger guard start to crack a few years ago.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
Forgot to mention, the trigger guard is most likely horn, not at all uncommon on drillings and double rifles from Germany. In the dry climate of Montana I had a horn trigger guard start to crack a few years ago.

Al, to keep the horn guards in good shape treat every time you clean the rifle with ordnary HAIR CONDITIONER! If you have Elephant hair bracelets the conditioner is good for them as well! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Hair conditioner!?!? Thanks! If (hopefully when) I get another horn trigger guard gun I'll steal a few drops from my wife, then rinse, then repeat. Great idea.

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tp...=175107753#175107753

either of the two fellas in the thread above can do your repair work I'd guess.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote