Find
Notify
Tools

9,3x74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted
Are these drippings ( double 9,3x74R with shotgun under) around much?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
"Drippings"?!?! Should be drillings my fellow Montanan.

The drilling will have three barrels, the combination gun will have two, either side by side or O/U.

Check out the normal gun classified sites and you'll find an O/U 9.2x74/12 gauge here and there. I think Valmet made them. Tough to beat for a one gun battery for anything you plan to tip over.

I tried drillings in Montana for several years, even a double rifle drilling, but didn't like the lack of long range capability, at least with the ones I had. If I were to go that rout again I'd seek what you're looking for, a newer O/U combination gun.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
"Drippings"?!?! Should be drillings my fellow Montanan.

The drilling will have three barrels, the combination gun will have two, either side by side or O/U.

The above is true in regard to the three barreled guns be it two shot barrels and one rifle barrel, or one shot and two rifle barrels. The combination gun will have a shot barrel, above a rifle barrel, or a rifle barrel above a shot barrel. The gun with a shot barrel on one side, and rifle on the other side by side is a CAPE GUN! That configuration was designed for the settlers on the Cape of Good Hope in south Africa, hence the name of that type! They are all combination guns but all configurations have their own descriptive names. ............................................................ tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The gun with a shot barrel on one side and rifle on the other side" is a Cape Gun in England and South Africa. In German, Austria and generally on the continent it is a "COMBINATION GUN". In addition, the English put the rifle barrel generally on the left and the Germans/Austrians generally on the right. Nowhere in German firearms literature will you find it referred to as a Cape Gun. Reckon Dietrich oughta know.

http://germanhuntingguns.com/S....asp?SSID=489&NRID=4

The 9.3 X 74R double rifle drilling over a 12 bore should work admirably. not a 12 bore but..

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100486511

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correctly such guns are referred to as a Büchsflinte and they are quite common in Germany and usually FAR less expensive that the English counterpart.
Here's one with a 30-30 barreled insert for the shotgun barrel. If one knows the cost of the scope and mounts and the barrel insert, the 147 framed Merkel seems like a gift.

http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=5203336

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jon...I absolutely could not remember the correct German name and sadly was too lazy to look it up. I thought it was on Dietrich's site but confess to not looking very thoroughly there either. I'll be lazy again, what is the double rifle drilling called...Bockbuchsflinte?

That is a nice piece...but I do believe the earlier engraving was better. If I'm reading that right and have the right conversion it's like $2,500.00? Criminy, the scope and insert are over half that!

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I'm reading that right and have the right conversion it's like $2,500.00?

Not really...at present the conversion rate is about 1.23 to one...so 1232 Euros is about $1500.
I'm guessing this gun will sell for about $1800.
Even with the import...that's cheap.

BTW...a 30-30 barrel insert installed costs about $1000 alone!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...that is cheap!! There was a recent discussion on this board where a gentleman had priced a 22 Hornet insert and I believe he posted the price was 1,250.00 Euro. Even if a fella found one used for 800.00 and figured the scope at 500.00 you're right, the drilling itself is a gift!!!! If it goes as you suspect for around $1,800.00 it's still a steal.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I laughed at my " Drippings", yes it meant drilling
Just wondered if they are around much ( 9.3x74R double over 12 gauge )

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're around boar. One just has to keep an eye on the gun auction sites.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some Teutonic hints .....

Simply combines the single designations,

Büchse = Rifle

Flinte = Shotgun

Doppel = Side-by-side

Bock = Over/Under

Drilling = three barreled

Bergstutzen = Over/Under rifle with different rifle cartridges

In most cases you just use a combination of the phrases .....

Doppelbüchse = side-by-side double rifle, (with the same chambering) or a

Bockdoppelbüchse = Over/Under double rifle

Drilling = side-by-side shotgun with a rifle barrel underneath (or over as in Blaser)

Doppelbüchsdrilling = Double rifle Drilling (w/single shotgun barrel)

Bockdrilling = Over/Under Drilling with the (usually smaller 22lr, 22Mag or 22 Hornet rifle barrel on the side)

Bockbüchsflinte = Over/Under rifle shotgun (Combo gun)

Büchsflinte = Side-by-side rifle/shotgun (Cape gun)

Bergstutzen Drilling = Over/Under rifle with a smaller cartridge on the side, so three different rifle chamberings.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gerry!! Now if I could keep them straight in my head!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DM, I should print that, laminate it and keep it with me at all times. Being of about 75% Prussian descent I should do better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wenn du Preussicheabstammung bist, dass haettest du verstehen müssen!!! Smiler Smiler

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Ty curaku, rekni to anglicky
a nechytracej, vzdyt jsme v Americe

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ty curaku

No need to get vulgar..propustit vodku

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Actually not vulgar, more like don't be smart ass in slang, but some people can look at it as vulgar as it means " you dick, English you smart ass "
Don't take it personal , you use German I'll tell you English
After all it's USA

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Ok now that we got that all straight did anyone notice that Jon ' s link to the buchsflinte on e - gun was mis-labled as a bockbuchsflinte?

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I just looked again and saw it was listed as a buchsflinte on the banner. I had jumped ahead to the discription where it discribed it as a bockbuchsflinte in very good condition. I would like to have that gun and yes a super deal. The scope alone would be $1500. In the US.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a merkel 9.3 double over 20ga with a kahles scope at DSC today

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote