New
Find
Notify
Tools

jp sauer 16 gauge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a JP sauer 16 gauge over 9.3x72R. I don't intend to sell the gun but if I have the chambers lengthened to 2 1/2 how much would that lessen its value?

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you mean lengthened to 2 3/4...but I've never gotten the two reversed..uh-huh, yeah, right..Smiler

I believe that would depend on the buyer and the value of the gun. The more valuable the more it is going to hurt it. Some would think having the chambers already lengthened a plus. Collector types would view it as an unnecessary alteration, which it is as 2 1/2 shells are readily available. Somewhat educated guess...$200 to $500 dollars.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops, I'm glad you knew what I meant. Thank you for the answer. It's not a collector gun but it sure draws a lot of attention around here not many people have ever seen one.

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, the German combination guns are pretty cool. I'd like to add an O/U to my accumulation.

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe the lengthening of the chambes will make a big difference. The 9.3x72R is another matter. Tough to get ammo and there are few ammo choices. Take a look at the markings. You should find a number looking like this 108/49(108.49 diameter lead ball), indicating a .350-359 BORE diameter, .363-.366 groove. This is the most common proof diameter found on 9.3 rifle barrels. There were other proof dimensions on early guns.

Unless you are going to shoot an awful lot of shells, save the money and just buy some B&P 67.5mm shells. They will work just fine. Ypou can get short shells from RST as well.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3 X 72R ammo is actually quite easy to find. In less than a minute I found a half dozen places on line that had it in stock. That there is not a large selection is true and a fella might choke a little at the price. Especially if you're a handloader.

If you do handload you can tailor whatever load you need. Brass is readily available as is data and depending on what your rifle bore would actually slug to bullets may not be a problem. If you cast bullets the sky is the limit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why bother to lengthen the chambers? I use one ounce 2.5" RST Ammo in all of my 16s, and most of them have 2-3/4" chambers. I have killed pheasant with No 5s at serious long range with them. You don't need more.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on who the buyer is. I, and many others, wouldn't buy a drilling or combination gun in which the shotgun chambers have been lengthened. Probably as many or more would purchase such a gun.

25 years ago I bought my first drilling and had the chambers lengthened. I have regretted it ever since, never again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, I guess I'll look for shotgun shells.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It will not harm the value in the least and will make it easier to sell. I have done several of them; got the reamer, and the T shirt.
Of course, do not, and no need to, alter the 9.3 chamber. There is nothing you can do anyway.

I agree completely! I have a H.Berrela cape gun (side by side) with the barrel on the right being a 8X57JR (.318 bore) rifle, and the left barrel being a 16 ga shot barrel which was originally chambered for the 2 1/2 inch shell. I had the chamber opened to take the 2 3/4 inch shell. The rifle prints a 196 gr soft point dead on the sight @ 100 yds, and the 16 ga Brenneke slug right beside the rifle bullet also at 100 yds. The choke of the shot barrel was very tight so I had it opened up to modified and this little cape gun is a one firearm for all of North America, for bird, buck, elk or black bear. It is one of my guns that is not for sale at any price!

........................................................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I think the reason combination guns work better in Europe is the variety and style of hunting. The cape gun or the O/U Combo gun (Bockbüchsflinte) is a very useful gun...even here. Great for turkey when a fox or coyote comes to the call - with slug and rifle, great for deer, small game with the rifle for predator (if you have confidence in one shotgun barrel!).
Here's my favorite 16/70 over 7x65R with scope 7lbs 6oz

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
JonP, that is a very nice combo, and the scope is a plus. The chamberings are very well fitting to American forest hunting as well.

When I bought my H. Berella from a friend I wanted it for hunting the desert mountains of west Texas and New mexico where muledeer, elk,black bear and quail are all open season at that same time.

I hunted the Anderson ranch (about 150 thousand acres)in the Hueco mountains of west Texas near El Paso, Tx(HUECO pronounced "WEKO" ) a Spanish word meaning HOLLOW. We would ride the ridges in a jeep, and get out and walk to the rim overlooking the canyons If I had my rifle in hand I would flush a covey of quail, if I was carrying my shotgun I would usually jump a big muledeer. The little cape gun solved that problem, no matter what I jumped. As you stated I also use it calling coyotes, and for wild boar in the deep woods of east, and central Texas.

Believe it or not I paid only 105 dollars for that little cape gun. The owner had brought it back from the war in Germany, and couldn't find ammo for it, so had it for only dove hunting. He used to money to buy himself a Remington 870! Big Grin

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I used to shoot the long 16 ga shell in my Sauer drilling now I have got some 2 1/2" long shells made by RST Ltd. They have 1 oz of #6 shot.

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I bought my H. Berella from a friend I wanted it for hunting the desert mountains of west Texas and New mexico where muledeer, elk,black bear and quail are all open season at that same time.
Mac, you still have that Berella ? I have soon sold my Wunchester.... Wink

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
quote:
Mac, you still have that Berella ? I have soon sold my Wunchester.... Wink

Yes I still have the Berella, and it will go to my eldest son on my passing!
..................................................................................... patriot

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Here is some more knowledge of Heinrich Barella (surname definitely with two "a"):

http://www.damascus-barrels.co...inrich_barrella.html

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
Here is some more knowledge of Heinrich Barella (surname definitely with "a"):

http://www.damascus-barrels.co...inrich_barrella.html

Thanks for the link Igorrock! I printed it and placed it in the file for my H.Berrella cape gun. Mine is likely a game keepers gun because it was a fairly plain exposed hammer gun with very light engraving. and was made in Berlin. With it being a 8X57JR (.318) bore it was likely made during or just after WWI. By WWII civilians were only allowed to have the .318 bored rifles, and the military used rifles with the .323 bullets.

........................................................................... old patriot

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith