Find
Notify
Tools

Vierling any who use them????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all Smiler

Well, by now some of you know I am a great fan of German made double and drillings.
Also there use back in the old day´s, I find very interesting, to know and learn about.

But, what about the less know Vierling?
Anyone here who use one? What you hunt with it? What caliber´s you got in it?
How is the balance on them?

Was they also used in Africa, as the drilling was?

Thank you all for taking time to read my odd questions Smiler

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

Posts: 316 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know only one hunter using a vierling.
Fankonia has a HEYM Vierling in their calalogue.
The prices are on the "once in an lifetime" level.

http://www.frankonia.de/shop/H...1/productdetail.html

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with many Vierlings is that old "Vierlingspatrone", the 5.6 x 35R which is basically no longer available. This was the usual small rifle cartridge in addition to the two shotgun barrels and the big game rifle cartridge. This cartridge is even difficult to get in Germany. Its also pretty ineffective so much so that its probably better to stick with a drilling. A Bockdrilling would be better IMO....something like a 16/70-7x65R and 222.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wheelchair Bandit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
The problem with many Vierlings is that old "Vierlingspatrone", the 5.6 x 35R which is basically no longer available.

IIRC,a 5.6x35R is the metric designation for the 22 Hornet,which is very available.

Brian.

"It's frustrating that we have callers to C-SPAN that know more about what's going on than Larry King, and more about economics than Obama and McCain combined."-Rush Limbaugh

Posts: 50 | Location: Obviously you're not a golfer | Registered: 22 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IIRC,a 5.6x35R is the metric designation for the 22 Hornet,which is very available.

Both come from the 22 Win CF but according to my sources (German gunsmith in Suhl), the 5.6 x 35R is not the same as a 22 Hornet. The actual bullet is smaller, the case narrows slightly and most important, the rim of the Hornet is thicker. I have seen discussions of modifying older guns to shoot the Hornet and the rim of the Hornet and head spacing are always the two main issues. Hornet casings can be adapted...the rim has to be thinned and the case shortened.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vegard

Since Vierlings are so exensive a lot of peole get a small calibre insert barrel that fits inside the shotgun barrel of your drilling/combo gun.

You insert it when you are hunting in a season/lace where a smaller calibre would be useful.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Vegard

Since Vierlings are so exensive a lot of peole get a small calibre insert barrel that fits inside the shotgun barrel of your drilling/combo gun.

You insert it when you are hunting in a season/lace where a smaller calibre would be useful.

That's what i do,

And it works "perfectly"...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the reply`s

Well, yes, the vierling is not a cheap gun, but a very interesting one.

DM, nice drilling you got.
Thanks for sharing

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

one of us
posted Hide Post
DM

How accurate is your 22LR insert?

When do you choose it over the shotgun barrel?

I have thought about getting an insert bbl, but just cannot think of a time I would use it over the shotgun.... Unless it it very accurate at 50 to 75 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DM

I have thought about getting an insert bbl, but just cannot think of a time I would use it over the shotgun.... Unless it it very accurate at 50 to 75 yards.

I have several of them & they all shoot @ 1" or so @50 yds. I use mine a lot. I always have it in my pack, and usually installed when hunting with the rifle barrel. I hunt small game, & sometimes varmits from the tree stand. Sometimes I keep it (the 22lr ones) loaded with subsonic CB caps to knock off a squirrel or rabbit from my tree stand without disturbing the woods much. Good for a finishing shot on large game up close if you need it. Great for offhand inexpensive & quiet rifle practice with the drilling. I had drillings without them in the past, but will always have one for the drillings I hunt with now.
As for the vierling caliber, the 222 bore & the rim thickness is the main drwabacks. I've modified the bolt face on a 5.6X35 to take the thicker hornet rim. Then just use hornet dies smaller 223 hornet bullets etc.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DM

I keep an insert in the right bbl of my drilling any time i'm NOT hunting birds, or big game. (usally the 22 mag. insert) At those times i keep one in my pack... I prefer to use a rifle on rabbits or foxes, rather than the shot bbl...

I own a few of them now, and also have had several others over the years...

Here's a few targets...

I prefer to just look down the rib for shots with the inserts, as i can hit just fine doing that...

Anyway, i didn't have any problem taking this fox with my 22 insert last winter while running my trap line...

I'm glad i didn't have to shoot that fox pelt full of shot to get it, or blow a big hole through it with the 8x57 bbl...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice fox.
Nice pelt to, and as you say, with the 22 insert, you keepet it nice.

Thanks for sharing the photo

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Vierling, and would think one bigger distractor would be the weight, even though for an Ansitz in Europe most would not have to carry it too far. I still like the now discontinued Blaser BD880, Bockdrilling, a great outfit for the seat, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

BD880, 20ga 3"Mag over 30-06 and Hornet on the side, complete w/sling, ammo, all at exactly 9.9 lbs:

A good morning, withing 15 minutes, first the fox then two boar, one found later as it ran in a thicket and was harder to find:

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good info, and good illustration of what a combo gun can do.

One Morning, the first time I hunted with my Blaser D 99 Duo[308/308/20ga], I shot a wild pig, just at day break.

Then about 45 min later a turkey flew in, and I took it with the 20ga bbl. 20 seconds later another turkey flew in and I reloaded and took him too.

No deer showed up so when I went to gut the pig I saw a wood duck in the river, I shot him with No5 Bismuth. I collected him and when I approached the pig I saw a squirrel stand up, I took him with a load of lead No6's.
I like to eat duck and squirrel.

Early the next morning I took a deer. Big Grin

I find Combo Guns most useful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dom

Nice gun, and nice boar and fox.

DM
Thanks for the info on the insert bbls. Good groups.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lads,

Permit me to offer some circular reasoning as it applies to Vierlings.

The Vierling is a hunting gun, it is not specifically suitable for clay target sports.

A great apre hunting tradition usually involves partaking in good food and drink.

After hunting in the Marquette, MI area, we head for the Vierling Restuarant for excellent food and drink.

No, they don't have 3-barreled guns, but they do have an excellent whitefish sandwich and a great stout from their brewery.

Sorry, best I could do.

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Mike, thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember the Vierling Rest because I'm up near Marquette every 3 years or so for deer camp! Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom:
I don't have a Vierling, and would think one bigger distractor would be the weight, even though for an Ansitz in Europe most would not have to carry it too far. I still like the now discontinued Blaser BD880, Bockdrilling, a great outfit for the seat, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

A friend of mine has a Ferlach (i think) Vierling chambered 16-16, 8x57jr, 22 vierling. One day he brought it over and as we were talking, he put it on a scale i had sitting on a near by shelf... 6-1/2 pounds! I sat my drilling on the same scale and it was 6-3/4 pounds...

Sooo, not all vierlings (or drillings) are heavy...

BTW, i just shot a HUGE water snake with my drilling eariler today, but i couldn't get a pict. of it...

DM

posted Hide Post
they must be hell to regulate

Posts: 8 | Location: Stuck in the wait-a-bit thorn. | Registered: 19 May 2009Reply With Quote