Find
Notify
Tools

My rifle drilling from Ferlach
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all.
I have not seen a lot of threads on rifle drillings on this site. I luv'em Smiler, and I have two of them. Rifle drillings (sometimes called doublerifle drillings) are intended for driven hunts. I posted pictures of my latest find in another thread called double rifle drilling accuracy.
I got this rifle drilling in 2x7x57R and 16-7 a year a go. It is produced by Josef Just in Ferlach, Austria, in 1959. I bought it on a German auction site. It had suffered some harsh treatment when I got it....

The bad blueing was probably from storing the gun with a leather muzzle protector.
It comes with set triggers for both rifle barrels, safety on the tang, and a barrel selector. It shoots like a dream! These are four rapid shots at 100 meters, using the open sights. There are no elevation from shots 1 and 2 to 3 and 4.
The rifle barrels are to the bottom, and to the right, which is an unusual but cool barrel configuration I think :-).

I have been fiddling with the stock and the engravings myself, and a competent smith here in Norway (Vaagsland) has been rebluing the barrels. This is what it looks like now:

I hope that this is of interest to you guys.

Posts: 42 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent!!!! It's a Ferlach piece, of course it's excellent! Well done on the refurbish. I'm a drilling nut, owning 4, but a double rifle drilling has evaded me so far, entirely due to cost.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got this kind of cheap. Cheap int the world of drillings that is... Someone mounted a rubber hose under the drilling. Presumably to dampen noise on the high stand. Anyway, the original screw under the breech was gone, and there was a ugly hole in the fore-end. It took some hours of polishing to make this look decent again

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
That is an interesting barrel arrangement. Which triggers fire which barrels?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The front triggers fires the lower rifle barrel, or the left (shotgun) barrel. The right trigger fires the right rifle barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I think you meant the -front- rear trigger fires the right rifle barrel. So, that would be good as a double rifle with the option of moving the selector to shoot shotgun shells. I like it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeeeeessss.... sorry about the confusion. The rear trigger fires the right (rifle) barrel. It can be used either as a double rifle, or as a combination gun, with the option of switching with the selector.
I dont know why, but I cant get the Greener safety that is located to the side to work for me. I fumble with it, and loose chances. I must have the safety on the tang, and preferably the selector as well.
On my other drilling (pictures in this thread Double Rifle Drilling both of the rifle barrels are on the front trigger, and the shotgun barrel on the rear trigger. There are a single-trigger for the rifle barrels, and no cocking device. This trigger configuration is perfekt I think.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a wonderful drilling. I once owned a double rifle drilling in the more common two rifles side by side and shotgun below.

It had no scope and was an early 8X57IR and 16ga 65mm/chamber.

THANK YOU for the post. I love drillings and other combination guns. I have a small safe full of drillings, a cape gun, and two BBFs. As you can see, I would naturally like your post, especially of an unusual and beautiful gun.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for the interest. :-). I have been buying drillings for the last few years, restored them, sold them off at a profit and reinvested. In Norway each hunter have a max limit of 6 hunting guns, so maintaining a safe full of drillings is not an option I am afraid.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Skaubjonn, thanks for posting about your double rifle drilling! Beautiful gun. I had an Ed Kettner in 9x57R (both on top) over a 16. So much fun to own and use, but sold several years ago. Thanks again for posting and I hope you find some others like it.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grattis fra England Jonn! Smiler

Beautiful job of restoring that one and it is a shooter!

Is this the one you keep for yourself?

Rgds

Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, thanks a lot! Good to see that someone else are interested in these kinds of guns. :-)
@Ian: I am not John :-). My name is Bent (and yes, it is a name in Norway, not a sexual orientation...).
The jury is still out on whether to keep this one, og the other one that I have posted pictures of in the Double Rifle Accuracy thread. I think that I will decide sell this one, and get another to work on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skaubjonn,

Very nice job!! Thanks for posting!
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see it is for sale at the moment :-) Good luck!

Posts: 116 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is for sale. I am not convinced that it wil be sold though, the market is very Limited for People with a drilling fetish :-).
I got a PM With a question regarding how I cleaned the engravings. I will reply here in the thread, as it may be of general interest.
I used a cleaning compound called Autosol that is intended for use on cars. I used a copper brush, and then a nylon brush and then cleaned the Autosol away immediately using copious amounts of oil. I am very happy with the results. Some smiths use acid. this makes the steel look brand new and shiny, but sometimes small details in the engravings are lost in the process. I do not want my classic guns to look new. I love the patina. But, I want the game scenes to stand out With a crisp quality.
Here is a Picture of the engraving before and after the use of Autosol. There are more Pictures in the sales ad: Sales ad Ferlach DBD All Pictures are taken With my cell phone and thus of low quality.
I notice now, looking at the Pictures, that there are residues of the Stock oil on the edges of the steel. I am going to clean these areas using autosol.
Some of you may notice the big and ugly screw on the underside of the breach. When I got the gun the original screw was removed, and the previous owner had mounted a rubber hose of some type at there using a big screw, and With a screw in the fore Stock. Presumably for use in the high seat. Pure vandalism! The original srew is long gone. I will look into getting this one engraved. There are some discoloration underneath the breach located around the engraving of the capercaillie, that I cannot get any better. Any suggestions will be most welcome.