Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Scope Ring/Mount
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All,
I need some advice or at least to be pointed in the right direction, so I’ve come to this erudite group in hopes of finding my way.

I have a combination gun, 16/70 over .222 Rem., which I would like to start using for my favorite type of hunting. I am a predator caller; I hunt predators, mostly at night and sometimes in rather close quarters. My combo gun would be ideal for those areas that are real brushy or dense as sometimes the animal will arrive and leave, allowing only one chance at a shot, in seconds.

My problem is that my combo gun has an 11 or 12 mm dovetail with which to mount a scope and every set of rings that I have found (and bought) have been too high. The best I have been able to find still has point of impact 1.5” high at 50 yards with the elevation turned down as far as it will go. I think that the 11mm ring bases sold in this country are for air rifles, does anyone know who sells rings for rifles that are “low”? The lowest rings I have found are called “medium”.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcos (elalto)

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ebay.com/ITM/Baikal-IZH18-IZH94.
I have two of these on my valmet barrels.
Their recoil lug is rectangular, and I grind it to a semicircle to fit the Valmet recoil slot.
I have had them for 2-3 years with recoil from a 9.3x74r and 12 ga mag.The price is about 170 now.They are lower than the Valmet mounts by a little.

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best I can suggest at a decent price are top quality airgun scope mounts with the recoil lugs. The Valmet 412/512 mounts work, but they're very expensive...about $300.00 now.

I have an American Arms/Marocchi 12/222 that uses this mount system. I have a good airgun mount that seems to take the punishment from the 12ga, even with 3" mags.

The downside IS the ring height for sure. A medium height, still a bit high, is the best I could do, short of buying a Valmet low ring mount for 1/2 what the gun is worth.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responses, I have seen some mount/bases that are priced at close to 1/2/ what I paid for the whole gun. BUT, BUT I found a set on eBay that is advertised as "low" profile!!!! I have ordered a set and as soon as they arrive I will come back here and update this thread.

Take a look... http://www.ebay.com/itm/QD-1-2...p2060353.m2749.l2649

For $3.99 and free shipping how can a guy go wrong????

Marcos (elalto)

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, they are actually the medium ones, regardless of what they call them, and they don't have the recoil pin in the base. They might hold, and they might not.

I'm not trying to be a bad guy here. I just know these types of mounts well. Get a top quality airgun mount with the recoil pin. They hold in place on recoil.

http://www.airgundepot.com/accushot-medium-793.html

These aren't expensive, are the same relative height, are strong, and have the recoil pin in the bottom of the rear mount. Wink

Kindest Regards,
L2S

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What L2S said...they will not hold under recoil without a recoil pin/lug. Don't ask me how I know.

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A heavy load in the shotgun will move the mounts without recoil lugs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Lynx ring mounts on several rifles with dovetails, up to 9.3x74R, and I like them. They are all-steel, and can be had with lever releases and recoil pins.

Here's a review of their various rings and ringmounts on their website here in Oz: http://www.lynxoptics.com.au/r...iew_scopemounts.html. According to the review they are made by B-Square, so they may be available there in the US under that name. They've also been sold here under the Hillver name.

Posts: 92 | Location: follow the yellow brick road | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kozap scope mounts are not so much expensive, about 1/3 of their German counterparts. They come in all steel and low profile as well.

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I modified a Valmet base to lower the scope. I milled out .100 slots on the top of the base, then installed Tasco world class rings in the cutouts. Perfect for me.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

Finally got a chance to sight in my combo gun today. The $3.99 11mm rings came in from China while I was off fishing in Canada, they were waiting for me when I returned. At first glance, they look OK for $3.99, they will not be mistaken for top quality but really not bad for aluminum. The rings are in fact lower than any of the five sets that I have bought and tried.

As mentioned above, they do NOT come with recoil lugs, however, I have a few machine tools in the garage so I drilled and tapped one for a hard set screw so now it has a recoil pin.

Went to the range today and sighted in my combo 222 Rem. I was able to adjust the scope even lower than needed so I am very happy with it set at 1" high at 100 yards.

Now I just hope that the rings hold up because the height is perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have it all set now. Good shooting. Wink