New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drilling on the Way
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Merkel 90 in 12 & 7X65R on the way here. It's scoped with a Loopy 3.5-10 VX 3i in a swing mount. It's a hunter, not a display piece. I tend to prefer 16 gauge guns for their trimmer lighter configuration and have a Kreighoff Trumpf Dural in 16 & 7X65R that handles like a nimble SXS, but a 12 has advantages of sorts.

Although heavy, even in 16ga, the Merkel 90 series has my favorite safety and selector system with no Greener side safety or a button on the cocker set up.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice one! Looks like Dale has us both covered. I am waiting on a 16/7x65 BBf from him.
I too prefer 16s but have two 12s that are easier to find various shot loads for as I dont load anymore.
Enjoy

Posts: 12 | Location: ohio | Registered: 17 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 16/7X65R BBF will be a lot handier for sure.

This 12ga will be a truck gun. Now I have to go out and find a good used super duty PU, rated high enough to carry it. Big Grin

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a Simson 16/7x65R that we both know and love!

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd trade for another 16ga gun, Dave. Whistling

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The 16 is so pretty, it probably has a home for life.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bruce,
You are hopeless. Having you around is like having a crazy twin brother. 'But Mom, Bruce did it! So why can't I?'
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...I didn't have a 12 gauge and 7X65R drilling in the house, and I needed this one, didn't I? hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is very good thinking! I'm not sure that the management at this house would agree.
Hmm! I just found a bag of 6.3x52R brass. Wonder what I should do?
Bfly

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have all the excuse you need. HINT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to stay off the naughty list for a few more days!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it yesterday, and it shoots gangbusters. It's a 1" gun with my 150gr Nosler BT load for my Kreighoff drilling and right at 1.5" with Norma factory 156gr Oryx ammo.

I took it apart and cooled it for ten minutes between shots. Ambient temp was 38F at 2:00 p.m...cold day today.