Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

What is the rifle barrel on the one in the picture above? It is certainly not an 8X57JRS, because that is a rimless cartridge and the extractor in that Cape guns rifle barrel is for a rimed cartridge I assume a 8X57JR rimmed .318 bore diameter.

Actually, the 8X57JRS is a rimmed cartridge. It is the same as the 8X57JR, except it uses the "S" (Spitzer) bullet of .323" diameter. It is the rifle caliber of my J.P. Sauer Drilling.

You are absolutely correct! Alzheimer's it tuff for old farts like me. I have trouble remembering my own name on occasion!

..................................................................... lol

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cape gun with second set of 12 SXS barrels. The Cape combination is 12/8X57JR. It now wears a 1-4 Loopy in the claw mounts.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The above is a perfect example of a proper cape gun!

These cape guns are perfect arms for a section of any state where quail and deer season is open at the same time, like the mountain country in far west Texas. In the "Hueco" (Spanish for HOLLOW)mountains It seemed every time I would get out of my Jeep with my bolt rifle to look over a canyon for deer, I would jump a big flock of Blue Quail. and if I carried my shotgun I would jump a big Mule-deer! I found a side lock hammer cape gun chambered for 16 ga shot barrel on the left, and a 8X57JR (196 grain .318 bullet)right barrel! This corrected my problem there after for this type of hunting! Handy little gun!
...................................................................... tu2

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
The above is a perfect example of a proper cape gun!

These cape guns are perfect arms for a section of any state where quail and deer season is open at the same time, like the mountain country in far west Texas. In the "Hueco" (Spanish for HOLLOW)mountains It seemed every time I would get out of my Jeep with my bolt rifle to look over a canyon for deer, I would jump a big flock of Blue Quail. and if I carried my shotgun I would jump a big Mule-deer! I found a side lock hammer cape gun chambered for 16 ga shot barrel on the left, and a 8X57JR (196 grain .318 bullet)right barrel! This corrected my problem there after for this type of hunting! Handy little gun!
...................................................................... tu2

PS: The 16 ga barrel on the Berrella was a short 16 ga! I had it lengthened to 2 3/4in so I could shoot Brenneke slugs in the shot barrel.
This was a good move as it turned out because @ 100 yds the slugs printed the target right beside the 196 gr rifle bullet without crossing. That made this a fine deer elk, or black bear gun, along with a fine bird gun as well!

…………………….When I die my youngest son has put in his bid to inherit this little cape gun. He shot it the first time when he was only seven years old. He is now 55 yrs old!
……………………………………………………………. old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a bonus, Mac!

Any time one finds a combo gun that shoots slugs well, they have a peach for sure. Cool

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by conifer:
buchsflinte = cape gun

If the prefix "BOCK" is not included in the description, then the firearm is a SIDE BY SIDE, and all cape guns are side by side rifle/shotgun!

quote:
Actually it just means "rifle shotgun".
BBF is Bockbuchsflinten or Boch styled rifle shotgun, denoting an over under.

BDB is Bockdoppenbuchs or Boch styled double rifle (over under)

DB is doppenbuchs or double rifle

BDF or BF is Bockdoppenflinten or over and under shotgun. Usually only written as bockflinten.

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith