Find
Notify
Tools

cape rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
Sure wish someone would buy mine. Pics are on the rifles forum. DBL. in 9.3x72R x 16G. 1920 mfg, sidelock from Suhl.New condition. Have dies, brass + some bullets as well. Never fired her.After 3 years,time to let it go.I paid $1600.00 for the piece alone;I would take $1600.00 for that + all the extras.I know this is not the place but it is advertised on the firearms for sale forum under the heading "A few guns for sale".

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't know why there isn't more interest in cape guns. i have a 5.56x50r over a 12 ga that is the most perfect gun in the world when following geese. Seems like whenever i try to follow the flocks i run into a coyote sitting on his haunches about 100 yds away. having that combo gun ends up in dead geese and yotes

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, since you haven't fired it; how do we know it still works...?

Rich

Seriously, I looked, and it is a real bargain with the extras. Might be another week before people start getting those tax refund checks in the mail.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We don't Rich. However I bought it in good faith + am selling in the same.That being said it is in excellent condition externally + the bore is crisp.I assume all is well internally as well.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fine looking combo gun. Good luck with a quick sale.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.After your posting I got to thinking that I should load a few rounds +make sure all is as it should be. Will post again in a couple of days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some rounds today + fired it. Both the 9.3 + the 16G. both worked fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long are the barrels on the combo rifle? What chamber does the 16 ga. have? What diameter bullet have you shot in it? I assume it's nitro proofed. Is my assumption correct? It's a very nice looking gun and in a very interesting cal/ga.

Posts: 32 | Location: Baton Rouge, La | Registered: 20 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will give you that information tomorrow as the rifle is at my shop. I can answer now that the 16G. that I tried was 2 3/4.It is very tight. I don't think it has been fired much at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. the barrel is 27",the bullets I shot miked out to .366,I assume it's nitro proofed,there are several stampings on the underside of the bbls.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A PM has been sent.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any chance you could post some more pics, especially close ups of the action and of the markings on the bottom of the barrels and water table? Thanks

Posts: 32 | Location: Baton Rouge, La | Registered: 20 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll get some pics in the next couple of days. I have been informed that it is a Theime + Schlegelmilch Suhl gun + a good maker as it says 'Nimrod'.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be T & S trademark. I have read and been told their locks were the best in Germany at the time. They are good. I have a drilling by them from about 1905, fine example.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you been able to take any more pics? I'm really looking forward to seeing some close ups. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trying to get my son to come over + do that. I can't do the pics myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharps4590:
That would be T & S trademark. I have read and been told their locks were the best in Germany at the time. They are good. I have a drilling by them from about 1905, fine example.

They were unique and well made...

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
luv2safari-thanks for posting the pics and for your comments concerning the gun. I appreciated them.
Norman Conquest- disregard my request for the pics, I found the add from joes64GTO with all the pics I need. This is the add from which you bought the gun.
So I guess this means; I'll take it! Please pm me with the payment info. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOOD SNAG, gabo! tu2

You saved me from myself. hilbily

I have a super plinking load for the 9,3X72R. Get some 95 gr Makarov .365 bullets and Trail Boss powder. Load 12-15gr and seat the 95gr bullets. It is a very accurate and mild load for plinking and small game. It regulated reasonably in my cape gun and a drilling I had in the X72R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reloading info. I already have the trail boss, just need the Makarov bullets. How about a hunting load? Do you have a favorite one?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.M. sent....BTW,Thanks Bruce.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gabo94:
Thanks for the reloading info. I already have the trail boss, just need the Makarov bullets. How about a hunting load? Do you have a favorite one?

40gr of IMR 30-31 under the common bullet for these, a 193gr flat nose.

The 200gr Hawk bullet with a .365 diameter will also work well with the same load.

I took a strong cape gun I once had to 43gr of 30-31 with no signs of any looming problems.

The 9,3X72R is a lot like shooting deer with a 35 Remington.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i don't know why there isn't more interest in cape guns. i have a 5.56x50r over a 12 ga

Technically a combination gun that has the rifle barrel over or under the shot barrel is not a Cape gun.
True cape guns are side by side rifle/shot barrels.
just to avoid confusion!
...............................................................MacD37 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that Cape Gun is the British term for the SXS rifle/shotgun with the rifle and shotgun barrels opposite from the typical German named Combination Gun. I believe there is particular German names for the various configurations, i.e., O/U vs. SXS but I can never remember them.

Apparently the name "Cape Gun" was due to the popularity of the British SXS rifle/shotgun in the cape of Africa.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buchsflinte = cape gun

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Das heiss...Büchsflinte...mit Umlaut and they are still made. Many older hunters are selling them off in Europe and they can be bought cheap. Most popular configuration is 16/70 and 8x57IRS (.323). They also pop up in 9.3x74R.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharps4590:
My understanding is that Cape Gun is the British term for the SXS rifle/shotgun with the rifle and shotgun barrels opposite from the typical German named Combination Gun. I believe there is particular German names for the various configurations, i.e., O/U vs. SXS but I can never remember them.

Apparently the name "Cape Gun" was due to the popularity of the British SXS rifle/shotgun in the cape of Africa.

The cape area was settled by the Dutch and German immigrants, not the Britts and the cape guns were a German style firearm(buchsflinte). I have owned several cape guns over the years, and have two today. Every one I have owned were made in Germany!

..................................................................... coffee

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:
buchsflinte = cape gun

Actually it just means "rifle shotgun".

BBF is Bockbuchsflinten or Boch styled rifle shotgun, denoting an over under.

BDB is Bockdoppenbuchs or Boch styled double rifle (over under)

DB is doppenbuchs or double rifle

BDF or BF is Bockdoppenflinten or over and under shotgun. Usually only written as bockflinten.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own one combination gun in 10.5 X 47R and in the past have owned others. None of which I am completely confident never got any closer to South Africa than they are right now. Among German gun collectors, to include those in Germany, I've never seen or heard them referred to as cape guns. Always combination guns or the examples Wyoming gave. British examples of SXS, shotgun/rifle combinations I've always heard and seen them referred to as "Cape Guns". Arguing semantics, probably. However, cape gun to me will always mean British and combination gun German.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
To me a cape gun is a British concept, and has nothing to do with Germany or Africa.

Semantics as it seems.

All combination guns are referred to as Kombinart or kombinwaffe as a group this would include drillings, BBFs, BFs, bock drillings, and vierlings.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the FWB's Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i don't know why there isn't more interest in cape guns. i have a 5.56x50r over a 12 ga that is the most perfect gun in the world when following geese. Seems like whenever i try to follow the flocks i run into a coyote sitting on his haunches about 100 yds away. having that combo gun ends up in dead geese and yotes

Sigh...we have rules about everything over here, we're not allowed combination guns on state land for waterfowling.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, thankfully not here....yet. In a few moments I'm taking my Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling with me to see if there's a yodel dog wants to come in to my calls. I've installed a 22LR einstecklauf in the right barrel so am equipped with 16 bore loaded with #2, 22LR in the right barrel and 9.3 X 75R in the CF rifle. Hopefully I'm ready for any eventuality..... Big Grin

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:
buchsflinte = cape gun

Actually it just means "rifle shotgun".

NO! conifer is correct, actually BUSHSFLENTN means SIDE BY SIDE RIFLE/SHOTGUN or "Capegun"
All true CAPE GUNS are side by side, and I have never seen one that was made in Britten!
As I said in my earlier post the CAPE GUNS were the favorite firearm of the Dutch, and German settlers in the cape area of what is now the RSA, and later German settlers of what is now Namibia.

quote:
by BWW
BBF is Bockbuchsflinten or Boch styled rifle shotgun, denoting an over under.

Above denoting a O/U COMBINATION RIFLE/SHOTGUN

quote:
By BWW
BDB is Bockdoppenbuchs or Boch styled double rifle (over under)

DB is doppenbuchs or double rifle

BDF or BF is Bockdoppenflinten or over and under shotgun. Usually only written as bockflinten.

................................................................. coffee

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The classic Büchsflinte is not really in high demand in Europe these days...was much more popular before the war. Many are available in Germany...being sold by older hunters...going at pretty modest prices due to lack of interest. Most popular was the 16/70-8x57JRS and many came with a extra set of shotgun barrels. Witnesses of a by gone era...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
Most popular was the 16/70-8x57JRS and many came with a extra set of shotgun barrels. Witnesses of a by gone era...

What is the rifle barrel on the one in the picture above? It is certainly not an 8X57JRS, because that is a rimless cartridge and the extractor in that Cape guns rifle barrel is for a rimed cartridge I assume a 8X57JR rimmed .318 bore diameter.

I have a H. Barella cape gun made in Berlin. It is a 16 ga on the left, and 8X57JR rimmed .318 bore on the right barrel. That one is a bar action side lock with exposed rebounding hammers and greener cross bolt, made sometime around 1910. This cape gun will print a 196 gr rifle bullet dead on the sights at 100 yds, and print a Brenneke slug right beside the rifle barrel also at 100 yds. These cape guns are excellent hunting rifles, be the target bear, or bird.

............................................................... Confused

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the caliber on that gun is 6.5x57R

One of Us
posted Hide Post

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Büchsdrilling Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

What is the rifle barrel on the one in the picture above? It is certainly not an 8X57JRS, because that is a rimless cartridge and the extractor in that Cape guns rifle barrel is for a rimed cartridge I assume a 8X57JR rimmed .318 bore diameter.

Actually, the 8X57JRS is a rimmed cartridge. It is the same as the 8X57JR, except it uses the "S" (Spitzer) bullet of .323" diameter. It is the rifle caliber of my J.P. Sauer Drilling.