Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got a combo gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted
I finally found the right combination of caliber, price and condition and picked up a CZ 584 in 12ga/7x65R. The gun has less than a box of rifle ammo through it and is almost perfect in finish. The gun comes with a partial box of S&B 173 gr 7x65R rounds which I will start with, but I was curious if anyone had any experience to share with diffent loading for this cartridge. I reload, and will get some dies for this sometime in the future.

Thanks.

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 178 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corn,

I reload cartridges for a Buddy's 7x65R Drilling.

The Drilling doesn't appear to be finicky at all about what it digests; I've loaded Hornady 154 gr. RN's and Sierra 140 gr. SPBT's and he just happily goes about hunting with it. With both bullets it plunks 'em in one ragged hole and hauls down Roe Deer, Fallow & Red Deer and lots of Wild Boar.

Since I don't own a rifle chambered for this cartridge I used a F/L 7x64 Brenneke Die Set and whatever the appropriate shellholder for the rimmed cartridge is. Definately a much less expensive way to go than ordering a VERY expensive F/L Die Set for the 7x65R IMO. You'll have to decide which way you'd like to go for yourself though.

Since he lives a good ways from me I made up a coupla Dummy Cartridges for him after setting up the Dies, mailed them to him and they chambered perfectly. I did notice than when using the 7x64 Brenneke Dies though that the "Bump the Shellholder" guidance & routine would have been definately pushing the shoulder back siginificantly on the 7x65R. There's 1mm difference in the cartridge designations and this seemed to justify itself in the measurement from the Die to the Shellholder after everything was set-up.

I then used a load compiled from Quick Load using typical powders from the medium burning section, typically the H or IMR 4350 burning rates (I ended up using VVN160) and then bounced that off some of the foreign manuals and websites (Lapua/VV) with 7x65R Load Data. I'm not into pushing the envelope on Single Shots, Combo Guns & Drillings when it comes to load data and I'd reco using their reduced data.

Musta done soething right 'cause the loads are working just fine.

The 7x65R is right up there in the 270 Winchester, 280 Remington and 7x64 Brenneke perfomance class and a delivers the goods - overall perfect for North American sized game and not a difficult cartridge to deal with.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cornfield,

I would like to start of by seconding Gerrys advice below and to commend you on the good taste of being halfways to a drilling Wink

On a more serious note, I would like to send a bit of a warning about the S&B ammo and especially the brass, it has some QC issues and I for one consider it disposable brass, aka fire and forgett.

RWS/Norma and Gecco makes high quality brass that will reload for many a good time with out problems.

Pics are always nice, so now go sight that rifle in and go hunt something with it.

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Cornfield SWO:
I finally found the right combination of caliber, price and condition and picked up a CZ 584 in 12ga/7x65R. The gun has less than a box of rifle ammo through it and is almost perfect in finish. The gun comes with a partial box of S&B 173 gr 7x65R rounds which I will start with, but I was curious if anyone had any experience to share with diffent loading for this cartridge. I reload, and will get some dies for this sometime in the future.

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
Gerry and Husqvarna,

Thanks for the info, especially on the S&B. I will keep that in mind.

As far as being halfway to a drilling, I would consider myself 2/3 of the way there. I actually would have preferred a drilling, but wasn't willing to pay what was required to get what I want, at least not right now. Maybe in a couple of years.

Deer season will be wrapped up here this weekend, and I won't have possession of the 584 until after that, so I guess I'll have to head up the coast a ways to chase some pigs. It will be hard to choose what to bring though. I got a Husqvarna 649 this summer that I've been working up some condor friendly loads for that I really need to shoot a pig with. I suppose it would hurt to bring both if I can get an unleaded load worked up in time.

Finally, does any one know if it is possible to get additional barrel sets for this model. I have heard that they exist, but don't know where to start looking.

Thanks to all.

Soli Deo Gloria

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
You may well find that Combo guns are a bit addictive.

I find that since my BBF is the lightest centrefire I own, it seems to get the most use on those days where I will be hunting more than shooting. Plus, it so versatile... Cool

Best of luck!

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OHHHH are you hooked now! Big Grin

You picked a good solid combo gun in a great round. As to the S&B brass, it works fine for lower pressure loading, but it isn't on par with RWS or Norma. You can get 2-4 loadings out of it, but it tends to be brittle. I load 8X57JR in it 4-5 times for my drilling and cape gun, but I get 7-8 loadings with RWS.

loud-n-boomer loads the round for his drilling and may have some pet loads.

The needle is in your arm, and the dope is in your system. Welcome to our gaggle of junkies. Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cornfield SWO - I've had my CZ 584 for about 5 years. It is so cool to go pig hunting here in CA and use the shot barrel on numerous quail and one turkey!. I've only used Norma loaded ammo for the 7x65R barrel. The ammo has a 156gr Oryz bullet.

I am curious to see what you all are using for sights on your 584's?

Posts: 8 | Location: Occupied California | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kevinh1157:
Cornfield SWO - I've had my CZ 584 for about 5 years. It is so cool to go pig hunting here in CA and use the shot barrel on numerous quail and one turkey!. I've only used Norma loaded ammo for the 7x65R barrel. The ammo has a 156gr Oryz bullet.

I am curious to see what you all are using for sights on your 584's?

kevinh,

The 584 I bought came with a 1.5x4 scope with a dovetail mount. I will have to see how that works out compared to the the fairly simple iron sights.

On another note, are you hunting in the newly established lead free condor zone? If so, what load have you gone to?

Soli Deo Gloria

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In relation to sights, I have a 1.5-6 Sightron SII on my 7x57R/12 ga BBF, and it works brilliantly: at 1.5x you can drop birds out of the air with the shot barrel, while at 6x you can reach right out there.

Posts: 92 | Location: follow the yellow brick road | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cornfield SWO:
Gerry and Husqvarna,
Deer season will be wrapped up here this weekend, and I won't have possession of the 584 until after that, so I guess I'll have to head up the coast a ways to chase some pigs. It will be hard to choose what to bring though. I got a Husqvarna 649 this summer that I've been working up some condor friendly loads for that I really need to shoot a pig with. I suppose it would hurt to bring both if I can get an unleaded load worked up in time.

I'd like to do a pig hunt, would take x-bullets in 7mm...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14371 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats with your combo

quote:
I'd like to do a pig hunt, would take x-bullets in 7mm...

Barnes bullets are very good because of their very rapid expansion, go TSX and get the pressure down or the speed up Smiler I do personally have very good experience with TSX bullets their performance in kill/meet damage on the game.

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
After the wait for check to clear, shipping, Christmas holiday closings and travel, and of course the ever so convenient California 10 day waiting period (keeping everyone safe from mad killers with BBFs) I finally took possession of my CZ 584. Here are a couple of pics from the seller. The gun looks better in person.

I swapped out the scope with a Leupold 1.5x5 that I had, and with Norma brass, 150 gr Nosler Etips and a little RL-22 I should be ready to take to the range next weekend to test it out.

The shotgun barrel is maked as 3/4 for choke. This equates to Improved-Modified doesn't it?

Soli Deo Gloria

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Catch! Cool

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a JP Sauer 12/12/7X65R drilling that I have enjoyed for 8 years now. I also have a Valmet combo in 12 over 7X65R. The cartridge is so close to 280 Remington that loading data is very close to the same. In fact, I prefer to use a 280 sizing die as the 7X65R sizer moves the brass too much. I used to load 154 grain bullets but after I bought 14 boxes of S&B ammo, I zeroed for that and haven't loaded anything since except for 120 grain FMJs that I use for turkey. I've taken deer, turkeys and one hog with the rifle barrels, as well as numerous small game with the shotgun barrels. Both guns weigh the same, so I use the drilling most because I have a .22 insert in the right shotgun barrel. I have a 1.5X-5 Leupold in swing mounts on the drilling and the same scope in Valmet mounts on the Valmet.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the value of a valmet combo gun?? I have one in a factory fitted case ,with 12/12 barrels,30/06/30/06 and 12/223.It is a low serial #, it is in good condition with just handling marks.I want to put it up FOR SALE,but don't know the true value,because I traded 4 guns for it worth about 3200.00
thanx Michael 903-520-9215 c

Posts: 39 | Location: mineola,tx. | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Cornfield. Do you have any experiences to write up about sighting in your CZ584? Packy

One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
packrat,

Unfortunately I have not been able to get out to the range yet. Some of the projects around the house, honey-do lists and work have taken precedence. Hopefully the next couple of weekends will open up.

Soli Deo Gloria

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cornie,

Hey Bubba - nice looking Combo rifle!

Wake me up with a Sledge Hammer - I've got the same rifle in 12/70-7x57R. Sorry, didn't recognize the Model # as mine is annotated differently on the Bill of Sale from Frankonia Jagd.

Mine is going to be a present to my son (Military, stationed here in The Fatherland) when he graduates from the German Hunting course in May!

Yes, 3/4 is one of the markings for Improved Modified choke here in Europe.

Have fun with it and let us know how the sighting-in goes. As an aside; mine is one of thse combo/Drilling rifles that is pretty sensitive to vertical stringing when shooting too fast from the bench; so take your time and make sure the shots are spaced or you'll be scratching your head as the shots start to string upwards.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HUNTER53:
Does anyone know the value of a valmet combo gun?? I have one in a factory fitted case ,with 12/12 barrels,30/06/30/06 and 12/223.It is a low serial #, it is in good condition with just handling marks.I want to put it up FOR SALE,but don't know the true value,because I traded 4 guns for it worth about 3200.00
thanx Michael 903-520-9215 c

go to WWW.blocket.se and LC on Jakt & Fiske. You will find many of them, among all the other "stuff".

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's a great looking gun I have been looking for the exact same thing, the problem is I live in Canada and have not been able to find one! where did you purchase it and what was the cost? I would like to know how it shots after you have been to the range, good luck Jim..

Posts: 11 | Location: Vancouver Island B.C. Canada | Registered: 02 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
A training cycle and deployment got in the way for a little over a year, but I was finally able to load a few rounds and get out to the range to work with this BBF. Besides the S&B rounds that came with the gun, I put together several loadings of Norma brass, 150gr Nosler E-tips and RL-22. It was interesting to see that the rifle barrel has a very long throat. I was not able to touch the rifling with this bullet. If I decide to go with a heavier bullet later, I won't have any issues.

After loading up the rounds, I put a Leupold 1.5-4 scope in the rings and topped the gun with it. I haven't tried shooting any clays with the scope on, but I think it will be doable with the scope in place if necessary.

I was pleasantly suprised at how well the gun shot. Shooting 3 round groups with about a minute or so between shots, I did not experience any significant vertical stringing. The best group I was able to get out of the 5 or so loadings measured right at 1 inch. I'm sure I could improve this if I work at it, but this will certainly do for hunting local deer and hogs.

After I got done with the initial loads, I shot some of the S&B to see where they would hit relative to the E-Tips. POI was about an inch lower at 100 yards. Next step was to see how the shot gun barrel worked with slugs. At 50 yds, POI was left of the rifle barrel by about 2 inches. The final string of shots was to rapid fire the rifle and shotgun barrels to see how the barrel heating would affect things. All I had left were the S&B 173 gr SPCEs which, although acceptable didn't shoot as well as the E-Tips, but still gave me a decent idea what to expect. The slugs were Federal 2 3/4" Powershocks. The results pleased me, especially the size of the slug group. Shooting rifle followed by shotgun, reloading both barrels, shooting and then repeating about as fast as I could reload for a total of 3 rounds from each barrel resulted in this. The rifle barrel showed some vertical stringing, but not too much. The S&B rounds seemed to string a little anyway during some of the earlier shooting. I was very impressed with the size of the slug group from the unrifled 3/4 choke barrel.

I think I've got a shooter. Next step is to see how it handles clays.

Soli Deo Gloria

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you got a good hunting Combo gun to me.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote