New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piethe Drilling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I actually have two questions in the post, but the first is concerning a very nice drilling, the only name on it is Piethe. No other markings as far as makers that I can find. It does have Krupp Stahl barrels.

Appears to be a more modern drilling, 16ga w/ 9.3x72R chambering. 16ga barrels appear to be 2 9/16. Has standard BU proof marks on rifle barrel, along with the W proof on the shotgun barrels.

I realize pictures would of course help tremendously, but at the moment I do not have any. Minor engraving around the borders, the action is TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT.

Bores are excellent, like new. Bluing is excellent, conservatively 95%+. Only real detractor is a missing sling swivel that was soldered onto the rifle barrel. Wood is nothing fancy, but nice.

I am trying to establish a fair price to pay for this drilling. It will be at auction, so of course, it could go for anything.

Second question, which will sound odd to some and not totally un related. This drilling is owned by my grandfather. He is auctioning a part of his collection to that it is one less thing for my grandmother to do. He is quite old and his health is not the best. He is, as much as I love the man, somewhat different in his beliefs. He does not believe in giving anyone anything, and he also believes the only fair way to set a price is at auction. As such, anything of his I wish to purchase will be bought at auction.

I of course want him to get top dollar for his guns, but at the same time......

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't help w/values and such,,but I have a SxS double rifle marked 'W. Piethe / Halberstadt' on the bbls.

Jan/1929 proof dated. Same minor engraving around the borders.

Maybe you can find some more info with the first initial and city.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in seeing any pictures of this gun if you can send them to me, or post them. Particularly markings, proofs, and engraving.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Nathaniel.

I am not a drilling expert, but I have owned four over the years and I do watch the prices. Based on your description, I woould guess that a fair price is in the $2,200 to $2,600 range. Since the gun has the shorter chambers, it is likely pre-WWII. Also, I am assuming from your description that it does not have a scope or mounts. For comparison, a comparable post-WWII Sauer or Merkel gun with a standard 16-gauge 2-3/4 inch (70 mm) chambers, a modern rifle caliber such as 7x65R, and a decent scope can be found for around $3,200 to 3,500. Unfortunately, most of the yahoos on the auction sites assume that drillings are rare simply because they have never seen one. If you follow the auction sites, you will notice that most of the drillings there never sell. Those that do sell are typically in the ranges I just gave you for comparable guns.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for response. I guess i have unfortunately passed up some great deals drilling a in the last two years!

This specimen is a round body under lever as opposed to a sauer style box lock? I guess that makes it less desirable as it is not as strong.

I hope to get pictures this weekend.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com