Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price check for Savage 24V-A
 Login/Join

posted
My grandpa is trying to offload his 222/20 ga Savage combination gun.

I checked gunbroker and gunsinternational and prices range from $925 to $500, but none have sold, so I don't know if they're asking too much or if they just that undesirable.

What's the market value on the Savage 24V-A?

Pretty good condition, bluing is perfect, no dents/dings on stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Sweden 1700sek or 130$.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow that's cheap!

Are all firearms that cheap over there or just this model?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are not popular here a old tikka m70 is available in the same caliber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one in my youth when walking the railroad tracks to shoot woodchucks was still O.K. and didn't land you in jail for trespassing. Front barrel band was bent to the right and the bullet moved farther to the right as the ranges progressed. The extractor plate broke off and was brased back on,but it is the only rifle that I have ever been "scope cut" with when I inadvertently fired the 20ga with the scope attached. Loved the gun, for a 14 year old it was awesome.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start your gun @ Gunbroker, $ 400, No reserve, expect it be gone for more at first listing closing bell...Nate

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nateDon'tgo:
Start your gun @ Gunbroker, $ 400, No reserve, expect it be gone for more at first listing closing bell...Nate

I would have guessed less, shows how much I don't know. I have a 22 magnum/20 gauge that I've considered selling...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one in 20ga /30-30. In a fit of dumb I sold it. It really was a neat combination. It just drove me crazy that if you shot it fast , didn't let the 30-30 barrel cool between shots, it strung shots vertically . For hunting though it was really neat.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1225 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
I had one in 20ga /30-30. In a fit of dumb I sold it. It really was a neat combination. It just drove me crazy that if you shot it fast , didn't let the 30-30 barrel cool between shots, it strung shots vertically . For hunting though it was really neat.

I've had three Savage 24s, and they all did that. I suspect some high-dollar combination guns will do the same. When one barrel gets warmer than the other, something has to give. They are one- or two-shot hunting guns, not benchrest rigs.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:

I've had three Savage 24s, and they all did that. I suspect some high-dollar combination guns will do the same. When one barrel gets warmer than the other, something has to give. They are one- or two-shot hunting guns, not benchrest rigs.

You are absolutely correct! Even costly double barreled rifles and combos that have no solid rib between the barrels will walk the shots as the barrels heat more than those with solid ribs between the barrels.

On the Savage, the rifle barrel is very thin, and is only held at the breech and muzzle. The two combinations of thin barrel and no ribs will allow the rifle barrel to warp from the heat very quickly.

As you say any double rifle or combination gun is designed for hunting, not fired like a machinegun. Even a double rifle with solid rib joining of the barrels will cease to regulate when fired without letting the barrel or barrels cool, after firing more than two shots from each barrel. After that the composite group will open! That is true of double rifles and combos that cost in the $30k range, so a $400 Savage can't be expected to do otherwise!
.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only combination guns, drillings and double rifle drillings that do not string shots are the Blaser BBF's and the D99's.

They will shoot tighter groups than most bolt rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tikka and valmet do not string either as long you have a free floating barrel wich is free to lengten then it gets hot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff also offered a free floating bbl on their drillings, but my Krieghoff doesn't seem to need it,

I've shot more than one group off the bench like this,

and I didn't let the bbl cool between the shots either.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just out shooting my newest Sauer, today. I got it last spring from Brayhaven. It has an 5.6x50R insert barrel in the right hand shotgun barrel. I was shooting with the open sights, sitting at a bench, but holding the gun with my hands. I shot two groups of four shots and let it cool between sets. Two nice parallel groups. The two first shots from the cold barrel amazed me. It was getting too dark to fire another group, but the potential of this insert is a very pleasant surprise.
The picture shows the classic verticle stringing of a warming barrel.

Edit: Photo should be rotated 90 degrees to the right, so the group actually goes up. I did it on photobucket, but the rotation didn't come along. Ir's a poor photo from my phone.

Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post

+1 on the Savage OU being a hunting rifle and not a bench rest rifle. This old beast is a .22 Hornet over 12Gauge and it has taken a coyote or two, many wild turkey and even more prairie dogs - photo taken on a huge, miles-long PD town in northeastern New Mexico. The shotgun turkey scope works close up and out to about 150 yards before the crosshairs become so coarse they cover up the aiming point.

The rifle barrel shoots minute of angle groups from a cold barrel and being a clumsy single shot from the bench, it is not easy to fire fast enough to heat the barrel and cause large groups.
No complaints about a gun that costs me $300 new and does its job. Well, it is a bit heavy to tote, but that weight is welcome when touching off a 3 inch 12 ga mag round.

I also have a .45-70 insert for it that puts 300 grain bullets into the black of an 8 inch bull at 100 yards. Not a 500 yard PD load, but plenty good for close large game and varmints. This type of gun can be a lot of fun if you give it a chance. Wink

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could find another 30-30 x 20 gauge

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1225 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I bought a 24V .222/20 gauge for $125. It was like new. I put a Leupold 1x-4x on it. The .222 was right on and very accurate, but the shotgun shot low. This one had a very nicely figured butt. Couldn't believe Savage used that nice a piece of wood. One son in law got a turkey with it. I gave it to another son in law. He has gotten turkeys and I think some rattlesnakes with it.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a synthtic like new Savage 30-30/ 3 inch 12 guage with turkey choke, 2x7 leupold scope like new if safe that I would sell if anyone is interested.