New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel inserts in Drillings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello ,Does anyone have a barrel insert for your Drilling ? If so what do you think of it ? covenient or practical ? where do you get them ? etc or any further info on them calibres etc
Thanks

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had several einstecklauf inserts. Both the short rifle chamber inserts, and the slightly longer 22lr/22wrm shotgun barrel inserts. I've been very happy with the accuracy of all of them. Those have all been the German made ones. I also have a full length insert, Tornado or Jung, I believe, in 5.6x60R that fits the shotgun barrel of one of my Sauers. That is amazingly accurate. I have not finished the rings for this gun, so I'm using open sights, but it shoots within 1 1/2 moa. I also have shotgun chamber inserts that let me shoot smaller gauge loads in those barrels. I have a 16/8mm BBF that shoots 20 gauge Breneke slugs to sights out to sixty yards.
I find them useful, because I'm more of a rifle hunter. The 5.6x50R really expands the uses for me.
We've got a couple fellows here in the states who import drillings and some of their accessories. My little Sauer came from Germany with her insert. The einstecklaufs have come from Dale Nygarrd, Greg Sefton ( aka Brayhaven),(both are members here on AR) or Joe at the DrillingHotLine. The full length inserts are pretty expensive and also require careful fitting by a knowledgeable gunsmith.
You might want to get a copy of Norbert Kulp's book, The Drilling. It is a great reference. Another great resource is the German Gun Collectors Assn. They have real experts in their membership
Bfly

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tank,

Well, ugh, depends on whatcha want.

The rimfire calibers in 22lr or 22 mag in short 10"-15" length are alot easier to insert/remove depending on how dependant you are on using your shotgun tubes, etc.; they also return to zero fairly easy although fiddling with the zero adjustment once it's outa whack can be a real PIA.

The full length tubes are intended for fairly permanent installation and are not something you quickly remove in the field when you decide your Sunday afternoon whitetail hunt just turned into chasing quail because you walked (stumbled) up several coveys.

Like Black Fly I've a 5.6x50R insert tube in the right barrel of my 20x20/9.3x74R Drilling. Shoots absolutely wonderfully. The tubes don't affect the barrel solder therefore you can shoot much longer strings without heating up the barrels.

It also required the most extensive sight-in I've ever done with a rifle. Initial loads depicted 2" - 2.5" 5 shot groups at 100 meters. I called the manufacturer who claimed this was their "standard" accuracy; not to fret.

Roll Eyes

Well, maybe for them but not my "standard".

I tried 14 different .224" hunting bullets until 55 grain Sierra HPBT Game King´s shrank groups @ 3/4" - O.K. now you've got my interest ..... with a stout load of VVN-140 and those 55 grainers it truly shoots very well.

I have the small aluminium punch my gunsmith gave me to remove the insert barrel which first requires the insert extractor to be removed with a #10 Torx; then removing the shotgun barrel extractor with a small screwdriver and then the tube gets seriously hammered (very hard) out of the muzzle with the punch (requires a hammer - I use a large plastic hammer). The last/initial 1" - 1 1/2" of inserting the tube .... well; had I not seen my gunsmith do it - would have never used that much force to seat or remove the tube.

IMO not something that I'd prefer to do on the bed of my pick-up in the heat of battle.

Yes, the manufacturers also make 30/30 Winchester, 6.5x57R, 7x57R and other insert tubes for rifle/shotguns which have "stronger" actions; the only issue is they make the decision and you have to send your Shotgun/Drilling/BBF to them for their determination, so you could potentially have a three barreled rifle Drilling or a Double Rifle from a BBF.

Also the shotgun firing pin should be reduced (in diameter) to accomodate the alternative of firing a rifle cartridge through the shotgun tube; not a big deal, simply German engineering at it's finest.

Oh, yeah; to answer your question; Yes, I really enjoy mine the way it's set-up; I leave it in and don't f**k with it. If I need a 20 gauge shotgun I get the Merkel 20 gauge SxS. Net, I have a BIG thumper for Wild Boar, Red & Fallow Deer; the 5.6x50R for Roe Deer, Badgers, Foxes and the 20 gauge for those close range shots on Hare, Rabbits & Foxes. A wonderfully versitile rifle/shotgun.

....and yes, with a Kahles 3-12x56 and the insert tube it's not my ideal concept of a stalking rifle - I use it exclusively for stand hunting.

http://www.einstecklauf.de/

http://www.zimmermann-ohg-der-...ialist.de/40623.html

http://www.keppeler-te.de/cms/...d/einstecklaeufe.php

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry, was thinking of something like a 222 Rem ,although 5.6 x50 would probably be more fitting .
But maybe more hassle than its worth ,easier just to shoot whatever with the Drilling barrel

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
,easier just to shoot whatever with the Drilling barrel

Probably so ... but in Germany, harvested game is often sold and game that has been damaged by large calibers is worth less. Roe deer (live weight 40-50 lbs) and even smaller Fallow Deer need to be harvested such that they are worth best price to the butcher. A smaller caliber and good placement is important.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have toyed with the idea of an einstecklauf for my drilling, and John Clapham, who has done some very good work for me and was, last I spoke to him, still service gunsmith for Merkel, had offered to fit one.

In the end though, I've found over the years that a 7x57R does a fine job on smaller game that is out of shotgun range. A head shot neatly decapitates a bunny or hare, leaving the rest unscathed. At the same time, there's less to fumble with - one calibre of rifle cartridges and a couple of shot loads is enough for me to deal with, and does for anything from birds to rabbits to deer or pigs.

Posts: 92 | Location: follow the yellow brick road | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do have an einstecklauf in 22LR that I installed in my old Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling. It is a Krieghoff and of the short, 10 inch, variety. As has been stated they can be something of a pain to sight in but mine went fairly easy...and I suspect there was a bit of luck involved with that. I got it for small game, squirrels are my delight, and it is sub 'minute of squirrel head' at 35 yards....about my limit with open sights.

I believe I found mine on GunBroker but if you contact Krieghoff at there US office I'm certain they can direct you to a dealer. My experience with them, Krieghoff, was excellent.

As you said your interest was more in a centerfire einstecklauf the 22LR doesn't fit your need. However, I do find an einstecklauf of great use and practicality and wouldn't hesitate to acquire another if I had the need. I can definitely see a purpose for one in 22 Hornet or some other mid-range 22 centrfire for my use. I like them.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several adapters made by a small Montana company called SHORT LANE CHAMBER ADAPTERS. Try www.gunadapters.com I have a 22LR 8 inch and 17HMR 8inch along with a 22WMR 8 inch and a 12ga to 410 converter. The 22lr was quite accurate, enough for shots on gophers out to 75yds. The 17 HMR is excellent, just got the 22 Mag and don't have ammo yet. the rim-fire inserts are not adjustable excepting that the chamber for the rim-fire cartridge is off center to accommodate the shotgun chambers firing pin alignment so you can rotate the point of impact up or down and a bit to the right or left. They do make several pistol cartridge conversions but have not tried them, these seem a bit less really useful, a bit of the survivalist mentality at work here I suspect.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 16x16x.22 Hornet marked 'Berlin 1929". Not sure if its an insert or rebarel? However, its slick on game up to fox and groundhogs!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
I have a 16x16x.22 Hornet marked 'Berlin 1929". Not sure if its an insert or rebarel? However, its slick on game up to fox and groundhogs!

There's a good chance it is a sleeved rifle barrel. A lot of liberated guns ended up that way, as US gunsmiths didn't have a clue what else to do with the odd metrics coming in after WW II.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If anyone is looking, I hae a .22 Hornet insert to fit a 20-gauge barrel listed in the classifieds.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote