Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of mounts are these?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Can I exchange these for new EAW mounts so I can put a new scope on this gun? Before I buy it, i'd like to know.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Those look like Recknagel claw mounts for rail-mount scopes. It would be far cheaper to buy your own rail-mount scope and use those claws rather than go to a different system. That assumes the claws go with the rifle. They won't fit other bases except from sheer luck so I can't imagine why the gun wouldn't come with them?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Thanks, no the scope comes with the gun, the issue is that the scope is a 1970's model and kind of shitty.

Was hoping to buy this, find a good bargain on a Kahles or Docter rail 3-12x56 and mount away using Recknagel or Appel mounts.

I'll forward the photo to Recknagel and ask if this is theirs and if I can buy the parts to make it work with a Kahles or Docter.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They have the parts but the front claw still has to be fitted by someone experienced.

The other option is a modern scope with the same objective diameter. The makers could probably give you a list of what fits.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that a claw mount or a twist off

You might check on sending that scope back to Zeiss for an update.

Try trying to fine a new scope with the rails in the same place, ie on the objective.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
It is a swing mount with a twisting release. I think it is a Recknagel too, but not sure. It doesn't have any markings on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
See if Zeiss will recondition that scope.

What calibres is that gun?

I had Pecar redo a claw mounted scope for me several years ago. They did an excellent job.
Cost.... Zero

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Whats wrong with the scope. That looks like a Z Model 6x42. That was one of the best scopes Zeiss ever made. It should be only 25 years or so old.

I have a good supply of parts for those mounts that a friend of mine in Europe got from a gun maker going out of bussiness. They are good mounts and common on the early Blasers. It all makes sence from the photo that this was a Blaser from the mid or early 80's.

Unless the scope has a problem I'd be happy with it.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seth,

No, the Rail Mount and Feet (Bases) are NOT interchangeable with EAW's; if you would like to go with EAWs everything has to get X-ed.

quote:
That looks like a Z Model 6x42. That was one of the best scopes Zeiss ever made. It should be only 25 years or so old.

AK,

Yo Bud, you're spot-on & I agree - there's nothing wrong with a "Z" series Zeiss IMO, great scopes. bewildered; cant figure out for the life of me why someone would invest $$$ in changing this scope out; although dated it should be ready for another century of reliable service, too. Like yourself I'd be more than happy to be aiming through one of these scopes.

They are good mounts and common on the early Blasers.

Yes; I've got the same set on my Drilling (with an outstanding second generation Swarovski 6x42 Nova) and it's a Pivot Mount w/Twist/Hook&Lever fixture at the rear.

A nice stable set-up, the rear a low, & small base plate, easy(ier) for a competent Gunsmith to affix.

Unless the Eye Relief was so outa whack (doesn't appear so IMO) as to require changing (which for minor changes can ususaly be accomplished by simply ommitting or changing Recoil Pads) I'd leave it just as is and go hunting. The nice thing about these mounts are that with the Rail you can adjust Eye Relief by re-drilling the Rail holes which re-positions the scope further forward or rewards (depending on where the Rail was initially drilled). A couple of small matching flat screws normally make the refurb appear better aesthically than attempting to re-fill the holes with plugs.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I want to put a newer scope on it. The scope is pretty old and hazy.

Caliber is 9.3x74R x 16 gauge. Price is $4500.

I might end up buying a used gun from Frankonia and using my military BATF privlidge to get an import permit.

Eye releif is ok, just don't like how high the scope is and want more power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have the scope reconditioned and leave it there. A 9.3X74R isn't a flat shooting sniper round, and any good scope is
sufficient, IMO. I love the 9.3X74R, but over-scoping it gets you nowhere...

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am not over scoping it, everyone knows it isn't a 338 Lapua.

I want to hunt pigs at night, and 42mm worth of 1970's scope isn't going to give me what I want.

56mm is the key!

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
The study's I've seen on light gathering scopes have indicated the the human eye can not see any of the inhanced light from a scope with an exit pupil over 7mm.

Most people actully will be maxed out at 6mm.

The 6 power scope with the 42mm objecktive lens that is on this gun has a 7mm exit pupil. With a 56mm objective lens you will have to go to 8x to have a 7mm exit pupil.

The 56mm would be a little bit advantages at 8x but not at lower power. I just don't see the need for an 8x scope on a 9.3x74 but that would be your personal choice.

I surely see what you are wanting to achive with this gun. I have a .35 whelen that I use for boar hunting. Originally this rifle had a 1.5x5 Leupold. I had problems seeing my reticle in the dark. It was hard to see the black pigs but the reticle was the real problem.

I changed to a 6x42 with a heavy duplex reticle and problem solved.

I don't think anything will challange your scope more than hunting pigs at night. You will want every advantage you can get. Just seems like rescopeing this gun is a big price to pay for only a little bit of of an advantage.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
I am not over scoping it, everyone knows it isn't a 338 Lapua.

I want to hunt pigs at night, and 42mm worth of 1970's scope isn't going to give me what I want.

56mm is the key!

Just be sure and get an illiuminated reticle.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Not going to buy the gun, at least not right now. They marked the gun down, and I looked at it again. It's rougher than it shows in the photos and of course the scope is old. Now it is $3500. I know that I can get the same gun (albeit in a different caliber) from someone like Waffen Schrum or Frankonia for E1800 euros. But I'll have some money in importing it, and it probably won't be like the photos either.

So I think instead of sinking $3500 into this gun and not knowing what I am getting I am going to try and find a current production gun. I think this blaser is either a 770 or an 880. But I am not sure.

So I am looking for a drilling or combo gun in 9.3x74R and 20,12, or 16 of current manufacture for under $5000. What do you think?

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
D99
Sounds like a good idea. Get a differant gun then you can put your choice of scope on it.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Found a new B97 Blaser for $3500. Gotta love that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan! Big Grin

The 97 will be a good choice if you want to add a set of double rifle BBLs later on.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99, how did you go?

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nothing yet Dave,

I'll figure it out in the spring. I am on my way back to the war zone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay safe, and good hunting...

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a D99 Duo in 9,3x74R/9,3x74R/20ga.

It is a great shooter.

I also have a BBF97 in 308/20ga.
With only 2 barrels it is lighter than the D99.

It is also a great shooter, and can be had with a 9,3x74R barrel.

Both guns use the excellent Blaser QD mount.