The Accurate Reloading Forums
Help with Austrian Combination Rifle/Cape Gun Proofs

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/335105333/m/6821056691

29 January 2014, 21:48
drhall762
Help with Austrian Combination Rifle/Cape Gun Proofs
I have attached a photo of some proofs on a what I am told is a Franz Sodia Cape Gun in 16 x 9.2x72R. I know less about Austrian proofs than I do about German proofs however, there seems to be a lot more info available on the German proofs.

If what little I have found holds true, I would believe this to be a firearm proofed in 1921 at Ferlach. The 16 gauge is fairly obvious to me though I have no idea exactly what 16.9 means. Also, I see the 9.3 with a sideways 2 next to it but again am clueless. I take the 1921 from the number 5077.21. that I believe means the 5077th proof in that proof house in 1921. I understand the Nicht fur Kugel as Not for Ball (Slugs.)

Please help me out if you can with anything that I have wrong or don't understand. I am assuming this is not nitro proofed but "who knows?"

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.
31 January 2014, 11:08
Nordic2
16,9 is bore/mussle diameter a indication for choke. I assume it is safe if the action is tight for traditional bird shot with felt cullot.
31 January 2014, 11:38
drhall762
Thank you. For the sake of argument, do you have any idea how tightly this may be choked based upon those markings?

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.