New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Combo guns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have always had a special place in my heart for a rifle with more han one barrel, for years I tinkered with an old savage 24S 22mag/20ga of my Dads, and I still have it now, the trigger must break at an even 18# and I generally have to use both thumbs to cock the hammer...and the firing pins are a little worn so it only goes bang every third time...and the ladder for the rear sight is missing. Anyhow, I want to replace it with something functional, or functioning!

So is the Savage 24V, the last and only american made double gun? Or are there others in obscurity? What other sub $500 choices are there?

The M-6 scout isnt listed on SA anymore, it is too small anyway, had one and sold it, really cute though. Besides, it was really a CZ.

Then there is that new Spartan OU, that seems pretty nice, even if it is just a gussied up IZH.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That seems to be about it, unless you can find a good second-hand tikka or miroku. If it has to be American made, the Savage is your only choice. It's a good choice too, I still have my 24C, ugly as it is, I don't think I would ever part with it.
The Spartans are neatened up Baikals, functional guns, but try to get one in a rimmed cal, as they may have problems extracting rimless cartridges. The baikals can have problems, and the spartan is the same gun, mechanically.

Cheers, Dave
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the dim past, there WAS "The Three-Barrel Gun Co." of Wheeling, West Virginia, which produced drillings. A few of these surface, but rarely.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bluepuma, you could try for a second hand CZ 500 series in good condition, the extractors on those guns are the only ones I would trust to handle rimless cartridges. The one on mine is so damn strong I need to wrestle the spent case off the extractor clip, in order to reload.
They also seem to be quite accurate, mine averages around .80 MOA for 3 shot groups. Any more and the different rates of BBL expansion will cause vertical stringing, unless time is allowed for BBL cooling.
Here in OZ these guns seem to crop up at around the 400 - 500 $AUD mark, so they may be a bit cheaper in the USA.

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bluepuma, firther on the Baikals, I talked to a guy at the range yesterday who uses one as his farm gun. he seems to think that they are great guns for the money, and has not had the extraction problem I mentioned before, occur yet. His is in 223/12g, I got to fire a few rounds through each of the BBLs, the rifle is O.K, aout 1.5 MOA for three shots, and the shotgun seems to be about Full choked.
finish is a bit agricultural, but otherwise they look to be a good, cheap, combo.

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bluepuma, further to the other post about the spartan/baikal, the farmer who's place I normally hunt deer on has one of these in 223/12g also.
He has mo problems with it, and is quite happy with the way it works, and shoots. The finish is a bit rough, but for $450, you can't really complain.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
One of the best deals in nice looking O/U rifles are the Winchesters. Not literally made in America but close.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Baikal (EAA) IZH-94 in 12 over 6.5x55 that was the 2nd worst firearm that I have ever owned. It was roughly finished on the inside, the sights were poor, the LOP was too long, it was too heavy, the rifle barrel shot groups, etc., etc. I think that Remington must be nuts to have their name associated with this POS, but maybe they will improve the QC and people will be happy with them. I paid $300 wholesale for mine and felt lucky to get $150 out of it.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluepuma:So is the Savage 24V, the last and only american made double gun?

There was, maybe still is, a gadget called Crossfire, a .223/12 gauge pump.

Another frontier is modifying the Savage 24. I have one that started out .223/20 gauge, is now rebored for 6x45mm/20 gauge, which makes it legal for Montana antelope and sage grouse.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14363 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Everyone is talking about the Savage 24.

My dad has a Savage 24H-DL that's in very good condition.
It has a .22WMR over a 20gauge.

I've always tried to find info on it but it's been rather difficult. Does snyone know an approxomate value?

Thanks,
Brandon

Posts: 1 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 27 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own, and shoot, an older 24V in 30-30 over 20ga. It has an old Bushnell 2.75X 'Command Post' mounted on it, which improved groups dramatically when first installed, but still leaves a lot to be desired.
My best 100yd groups has been in the neighborhood of 1.75 to 2.0"....it does not seem to want to do any better with Jacketed bullets, and I have tried a lot of different loads over the years.

I have got 1.0" groups with a cast bullet, a 173 gr. Lyman 311041 at about 1500 fps, and that, in my mind, would certainly do the job on deer size animals if I ever used it as such.

I shoot mostly the 165gr. Hornady interlock at about 2050 fps, and it is absolutely deadly on deer size animals out to 150 / 175 yards.

The shotgun part is something of a joke when it comes to using both barrels with the scope.
However, afters years of practice shooting grouse, and chuckar with that same gun, I have finally learned to disregard that scope completely when wing shooting.

If someone should come up with one of these, my advise would be to have patience....a lot of patience, and a pocket full of firing pin springs, as they seem to have a life span of only a couple of years.

Some of you may remember this old "antique" Busnell Scope.....It is far from being the best grade of scope, but she has been "Hell for Stout" when it comes to abuse....ie, dropped in rock slide, and general camp beatings, added to riding in gun rack on a pick-up....not many of todays high dollar scopes will take this kind of abuse.

Respectfully, Russ

Some mistakes are to much fun to make only once.

Posts: 65 | Location: Washington State, Columbia Basin | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ, with the firing pin springs, it only seems to be the lower BBL that suffers, at least on the rimfires. I wound up making a donut shaped piece of spongey plastic to do the same job, as all of my springs were breaking as soon as they were installed. It seems to work fine. Make sure you have a few spare lower BBL firing pins too, as they also seem to be about the only other thing that breaks on these guns.
There is a good source of info on these guns at savage24.com. Might be worth a look?

Cheers, Dave

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You seem to have forgotten/left off at least two American made combos I can think of. The Marlin model 90 was made in a combination rifle/shotgun and is available on the used gun market (~ $1K so not cheap). Another was the Staggs Bilt 20/30-30. These were based upon a design by an Austin TX engineer (early '60s) and were first funded by a builder out of the Phoenix area and later marketed by Bo Clerke as the 20/30-30 (early '70s). All were made by Clerke. It is a 20 over 30-30 with double triggers and a tang safety. Same general size and silloute as a 94 Win carbine. I have one and it is a great general hunting gun for areas like Maine where you might see a deer, but are darn sure going to put up a Ruff while hunting.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bboyd:
Everyone is talking about the Savage 24.

My dad has a Savage 24H-DL that's in very good condition.
It has a .22WMR over a 20gauge.

I've always tried to find info on it but it's been rather difficult. Does snyone know an approxomate value?

Thanks,
Brandon

I think I paid $75 for one, back in 1973. I don't think it's appreciated as much as Exxon stock.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14363 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Numerich Arms has the parts for your Savages 24 series. You can't buy barrels from them the last I looked. I took my 22mag / 20 gauge apart and honed the trigger mechanisms. I do have less creep and a smoother trigger. The spring can be cut down so you get a lighter pull. Beware, too short and no bang. My savage was given to me when I was 13. Wouldn't part with it for anything. I carried it countless mornings on my traplines. It has accounted for many coyotes.