New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser 9.3X74R and cast bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I got up this morning, was going to go to town and get some SR4759 powder to try with cast bullets in the 9.3X74R, but my BMW would not start, upon further inspection, I discovered that a mouse decided had decided that, BMW wiring taste like cheese. Not a good start for the day for me. Pissed off, I started researching the powders I had on hand. Decided that 30 grains of IMR 4198 would probably not kill me. Loaded up a couple, and got it on paper. Decided I was a little light on the powder charge, so upped it to 31 grains, conditions are dry with very gusty wind conditions, shooting between gust, I shot this group at 100 yards.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

This group was less than 1.25 moa, and I consider this pretty good for cast bullets that I will only be shooting out to a max of 150 yards anyway. My calculations indicate this load shooting where it is, will be about 3 to 4 inches low at 150 yards. I was really tickled with the velocity of 1726 FPS. I ran about 12 round trough the barrel, and am getting zero signs of leading.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

I am going to order a mold that throws a 285 grain bullet, when I have shot these up.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent shooting.

That should be a good turkey buster.

I wonder how well if would shoot if you seated the bullet to put all the grease grooves below the case neck?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Ron. good to see a nice shooting 9.3 group.
My personal experience has been very good also.
Merkel 140 dbl rifle.
LBT 250 grain LFN Wheel Weight alloy + 1% Tin, LBT lube, sized .367 in star sizer .375 gas check. Pushed out by 2 grains less of my IMR 4064 250 grain Accubond and 250 grain Swift A-frame load with a velocity of 2400 fps. NO Leading what so ever.
Regulate close enough for practice.