Find
Notify
Tools

Three Barrel Gun Company
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
Just received my drilling made by the Three Barrel Gun Company of Wheeling, WV. It is very interesting. The rear sight rotates up on sort of a ratchet to allow for elevation changes. I have never seen that before.

It is the common 12x12x.32-40 but is in great shape with fluid steel barrels. The Barrels are marked Three Barrel Gun Company Wheeling, WV and the butt plate is marked 3 Barrel Gun Company Wheeling, WV.

I'll get a couple of photos up this weekend.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very interested in seeing some detailed photos, Dave. It sounds like an interesting piece.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That does sound interesting;looking forward to pics. Along the same line I saw an ad today in Sporting Classics that Blaser was offering a 3 bbl. 12G.W/ single select trigger.Looks like a drilling except that the dbl bbls are on the bottom + the single is on top.Like a lot of things that I would not buy but wish that some friend would because I would like to shoot it at least one time.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the ranks of the happy Hollenbeckers, Dave. I'm guessing you're a reloader, so you'll probably be haunting GB for components for the 32-40; I have some old load data if you want it. You've probably already discovered that the rifle barrel operates independently of the tang safety. Mine has Damascus 12ga barrels, so I bought some brass hulls from Cabezas and am loading blackpowder shotshells; yours probably won't require that. Mine will open deer season with me next week. Happy hunting with yours!
windy

Posts: 39 | Location: far from God's country | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting post Steve.If you are ever so inclined,I would love to see some pics on your piece.We all love classics.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I’ll take you up on the load data. I kind of like the independent cocking lever on this drilling. I wil be looking for some brass even though I got 99 rounds of John Wayne commemorative ammo with it. Got it for $20 a box but it sells to collectors for over twice that.

Hopefully I get my arm out of the cast today and can get some decent photos to post.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about that John Wayne ammo.One of my buddies who was a Winchester + Colt collector had to sell everything due to a DWI.I sold it all for him as he was now a "felon"+ could'nt be in possession of firearms. Sold all his pieces at the International Roping in Temple,Tx.Bought what I could but that was a cut gut feeling. Sold a sealed case of the John Wayne ammo for a fraction of its worth.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Had photo problems but here is one of the back half and the rear sight that I think is so interesting. I'll go for more photos later.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Received some additional information on my particular drilling. According to the register my drilling Serial number 7XX is listed as an 0-grade, 12-gauge, .32-40 Caliber, 28-inch Krupp barrels, Weight 7 pounds 11 ounces, 1/2 Grip, 13 1/2 inch Length, 1 3/4 comb, 3 heel, Shipped 3-23-07, Sold To Tomkins Hardware Co.

Nice to know that it is officially 110 years old.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goodness Dave, that is an interesting sight. Pretty slick lookin' ol' piece as well!! Congrats!!

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I get a kick, no pun intended, out of the little cocking lever in front of the trigger guard. Sets the firing pin for the rifle barrel.

Dave