New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slightly off face, how bad is that?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at a German combination gun in 16/9.3x72R that is in need of rescuing. I don't think the stock can be rescued so that might need to be replaced.

taking the fore-end off, there is a slight wiggle. How bad is that? would you consider it shootable? How would you go about fixing that, or more accurately put, how much would it cost me to have that fixed?

Posts: 178 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Making & installing an oversize hinge pin runs $300-$500, depending where you are located. That's the common fix.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, that's not too bad. Is it safe to shoot until then?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What luv2 said.

That's kinda hard to say without actually seeing it, depends on how slight is slight. I had an old double that by my definition was slightly off face and I shot it a bit before I sent it down the road.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By shooting a break open gun that is slightly loose you typically accelerate the loosening of the gun. It can present a safety issue, but damaging the gun further is the typical result. I tighten a fair number of doubles and would be happy to offer an opinion on your combo.
Steve Bertram

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Someone else ended up with it. Now I'll have to look for another....