New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source for Krieghoff Sempert rings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up an interesting combination gun today, built by Simson, Suhl, for Ewald Tuckmantel of Varel. There are two original sets of barrels, each with its own fore end, all parts bear the same serial number and all major assemblies bear the Simson logo. One set of barrels is S x S shotgun, 16 gauge, 2 ½” x 16 gauge, 2 ½”, 28 3/8” long.

The second set of barrels is a Cape gun configuration, 8 x 57 JR x 16 gauge, 2 ½”, 26 7/8” long. These barrels have a silver bead front and single leaf rear sight. They also have scope bases built in that I am not familiar with. The forward of the two bases is stamped:

Krieghoff Montage
Sempert & Krieghoff Suhl.

I am attaching a few photos and hope that someone here may be able to tell me about the ring assembly that fits these bases and if and where such an assembly might be found. I’ve checked my Recknagel catalogue but see no likely “Suspects”.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun.

I have seen those scoe bases on opther doubles before. Contach JJ Perodeau at Champlin Arms, he can most likely help you out.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like an "Aufschubmontage"...I guess I would translate it as a slide on mount. Basically the scope will have two "shoes" that slide over the barrel mounts and both shoes have levers that lock the scope into place. Had one of these on a drilling years back and they are simple and very reliable...you just have to be careful when putting them on not to scar the barrel.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our good friend Jani in Slovenia sent me a photo of the set up via personal e-mail. He asked me to post it here but I can't figure out how you copy and paste a photo from an e-mail to a BBS.
I'm just an old dinosaur I guess...actually I'm gonna be 67 in a little over a week !!!

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've seen two styles of these slide on mounts on guns from the vintage days. I belive Krieghoff made both types.
The rings to fit these bases are very rare and if you want to use the existing bases you may have quite a hunt on your hands.

I would give Herbert at GSI or JJ at champlins a call and ask them what they would do.
My guess is that they would remove the Krieghoff bases and refit the cuts on the rib with claw mount bases or swing mount bases.

If you want you can forward the photos to me for posting bobcouey@acsalaska.net

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you do that, send an email to one of the gunsmiths I use in Germany. His English is excellent and see if he can help. This looks like a standard Aufschubmontage from Krieghoff..as I said I had one on a drilling.

www.waffenstegmann.de

Here's a Krieghoff drilling with a slide on mount...with a Zeiss scope with rails

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you guessed, this is a Kreighoff style slide-on base. I sent a Kreighoff drilling to Kreighoff USA for some other work and asked them if they could supply a scope mount. They said that it wasn't made any more and they could not supply a mount. I was able to acquire a set of mounts from AKAH in Germany. With much communication via email, I was able to give them sufficient measurements that they were able to adapt a set of their mounts to fit the drilling for a rail-mount scope such as the one shown above. I then sent the gun, scope and AKAH mounts to JJ who fitted them for me. They work well and the mount returns the scope to zero.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JonP,
I had a reply on Saturday from Bernd Stegman. He says that he cannot help me as these Aufschubmontage rings are no longer available.
Thanks for the tip anyhow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made a set of mounts for these bases on a Krighoff Trumph drilling I had. It was a pain in the ass. They have a radius inside and took me a day to make them. I used a cross screw with a half round shaft that took a half turn to secure, but no lever. The worst thing is that I grabbed a piece of metal out of the box to make one of them out of without checking it. One Turned out to be 416 stainless & I didn't find out til I took them out of the bluing tank. Mad No way I was going to make another mount, so I shot that gun for years with one blue & one silver mount Frowner
Greg

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee LeBas had a few when he shut down his shop to go to work for Blaser of America. He can be reached there in San Antonio TX and is CEO of Mauser USA and Sauer of America. He may have a line on some still.

Google Blaser and it will get you in touch with him.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a follow up, I've just completed an oak and leather case for this gun. Started with a 1" x 4" x 8' red oak board which I planed to 3/8" thickness, a sheet of 1/4" oak plywood, and a square shoulder of 7 ounce cow hide. I've tried to "antique" the leather to make it look right for the age of the gun. Over all, I'm pretty happy with the way that it turned out. I was also able to pick up a Kahles 2 1/2x steel scope which looks "right" with this gun. Still working on the rings issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had zero luck trying to locate factory rings to fit these bases. I bought a set of Leupold Super-High rings, drew up a set of plans, and went to visit my tool and die maker friend who has a Bridgeport mill in his garage. Here is what we produced. I just finished rust-bluing them a few days ago. One half turn of the levers releases these rings or locks them down like they were welded on. The gun shoots VERY accurately with this Kahles 2 1/2 power scope mounted.