Find
Notify
Tools

Different Drilling
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
Out digging through gun shops today. Found one, guy must have over 2000 firearms in the shop. Racks of double barrel shotguns both SxS and O/U. All sorts of pump shotguns and bolt action rifles. A whole collection of Automag pistols in every configuration. That one was framed. And there were exactly 4 that I found interesting. That's another story.

Anyway, I ran across an external hammered drilling. 16x16x9.3x72. Couldn't find much in the way of visible, external markings except that the barrels were made by Krupp.

It had double triggers and on the top of the receiver it had a lever that I initially thought was to open the breach just like many double barrel shotguns but it was immovable and there was a lever on the right side that when pushed down unlocked the breech.

What I found more puzzling was that I couldn't figure out how to select the rifle barrel. There was no visible switch, button or anything else that I could see to allow the rifle barrel to be selected.

Bores were pristine and the wood was all sound, just very little finish left on the receiver, Barrels still retained a lot of blue.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The top lever is the barrel selector, pushing it to the left should engage the rifle barrel.

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I'll try it again when I next go out. Is it also the cocking lever for the rifle? I ask because I tried moving it but did not push hard enough to cock a hammer.

It is on one of 4 "Hanger Queens" he has in the store. The others are: an O/U combination gun, 16x.22 Savage; a .577 BPE, and a very light SxS 12 gauge with Damascus barrels.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rglenz:
The top lever is the barrel selector, pushing it to the left should engage the rifle barrel.

He's correct David. It moves a bar under the right hammer that strikes the rifle round and blocks the shotgun. The right hammer shoots the right shotgun barrel or the rifle, depending on that lever's position.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
That is interesting! All the drillings I've owned have been hammerless, and so this is a learning curve for me where drillings are concerned. I don't think I have ever even seen an exposed hammer drilling, or at least I may have and didn't know what I was seeing!

Thanks for the lesson on unusual drillings!

..................... tu2 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
One of my other drillings is also an exposed hammer model but it has a little slide switch on the side to select the rifle barrel.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might one ask what city this shop was located in?

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0007:
Might one ask what city this shop was located in?

Sure. It is in Wagram, NC. Beats me what the name of the shop is but I know where it is. Pretty bad on my part.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Mid South Guns

Wagram NC

The owner, Philip Futrell is a great guy. I have been trading and buying from him since the 1980's when I was at Ft. Bragg.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Yep. That's the place.

Dave