New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insert Barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have finally located a source for full-length insert barrels for 12 and 16 ga Shotguns. I can get inserts in 22 Hornet, 222Rem, 5.6X50R and 22 Sav HP. These barrels have to be imported and the minimum shipping cost is about 1000 Euros. I’d like to do a group buy for the first order. The inserts will be ordered 29 inches long so that they may be cut to length. They will need to be fitted at the muzzle and in front of the chamber. These inserts are adjustable for point of impact st the muzzle. Cost will be around $1000. Any interest?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm probably the wrong guy, I'd kind of like one for 20-gauge chambered in 25-20.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14323 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not for $1000 each. I have insert barrels for my drilling’s and didn’t spend anywhere near that price. Hate to rain on your parade but there you go. Byron

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried a 30-30 barrel insert in one of my 12's and practically ruined the firing pin. Since some shotguns are more compatible with rifle primers than others, I went looking for the least expensive 12 that might couple with a rifle, and found my Brno ZH-204 instead--7x57R/12ga. Sold the insert.
windy

Posts: 39 | Location: far from God's country | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vol, are these barrel inserts the fully adjustable models with extractors, like the Jung Tornado? If so, your price is a real bargain.

When i was looking for one a few years back, $1500 to $2000 was the working range. I ended up buying a drilling with one already installed and paid nearly twice what the bare drilling would have cost.

If they are like my Jung, they are amazingly accurate, easily come in and out and returning to zero, a precision addition. It has proven much more accurate than my little einsteclaufsand in a much more powerful cartridge.

Where I've been hunting, the addition of the 5.6x50R increases the versatility of my Sauer Lux in 7x57r and 16 tremendously. It gives me the versatility of a Vierling for a lot less money.

If I didn't have this set up, I'd be in on this.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are by Zimmermann. They sell for about 1100 Euros in Germany. I can buy for less in quantity because of a volume discount and because I can spread the import cost over several units. They are full length inserts, not like the 8” 22LR Krieghoff models. Also they are centerfire for .22 Hornet and larger. They are fully adjustable at the muzzle while in the gun. I can have them made specifically to the length of the parent gun barrel but they still must be fitted at the Breech and muzzle. It is true that older parent guns with large shotgun size firing pins are not a good application because of sticking primers. However, Most guns made from the fifties on will have smaller firing pins that are rebounding as well. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.zimmermann-ohg-der-...ialist.de/40623.html

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
These are by Zimmermann. They sell for about 1100 Euros in Germany. I can buy for less in quantity because of a volume discount and because I can spread the import cost over several units. They are full length inserts, not like the 8” 22LR Krieghoff models. Also they are centerfire for .22 Hornet and larger. They are fully adjustable at the muzzle while in the gun. I can have them made specifically to the length of the parent gun barrel but they still must be fitted at the Breech and muzzle. It is true that older parent guns with large shotgun size firing pins are not a good application because of sticking primers. However, Most guns made from the fifties on will have smaller firing pins that are rebounding as well. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.zimmermann-ohg-der-...ialist.de/40623.html

I had them make me one in 7x65R last year and had fitted here in the UK to my 16 / 7x65R Combination. It shoots very well - 3 shots into less than 1" at 75 yds and dialed it into about 1' above the existing barrel - ie so they are same distance a part as rifle barrels. I can pop it out and put it back in and retains its zero.

It does however put the zero of the scope across about 4" compared to the 16 / 7x65R Zero.

Not a huge issue as jusy need to rezero, but now have two scopes - a 1.25-4x20 zeroed to it set up as a double rifle for driven pig hunting, and its original 6x42 for when its used as a combination.

Posts: 977 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi!
Are these available for 20 gauge drillings?
Thanks
JIm

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you know of a good machine shop they can make you as you order.

We made a 223 Remington insert for a Ruger #1 which originally started life as a 458 Winchester Magnum and we re-chambered to r60 Weatherby.

We had quite a bit of fun with it.

We put the 223 insert in, and let someone shoot it a few rounds, then get him distracted, pull the insert out, load a 460 Weatherby round and give it back to him!

Sadly, we did not have video cameras in those days! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66682 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a good idea where one has a hard time buying new or different firearms but for that money I well just buy new firearms.

I might buy one or two for a couple hundred dollars each. But any more then that I'll just buy a new gun.

Posts: 19296 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...is there such a thing as a 410 gauge insert for a cylinder-bored 20 gauge (Savage 24C)

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14323 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Hmmm...is there such a thing as a 410 gauge insert for a cylinder-bored 20 gauge (Savage 24C)

Briley makes barrel inserts, if they make them for a Savage 24c you'll have to contact them. I had the same gun, .22lr over a 20 gauge, kicked like a mule. Good luck.
https://www.briley.com/c-238-t...set-accessories.aspx

Posts: 317 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronco:
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:

Briley makes barrel inserts, if they make them for a Savage 24c you'll have to contact them. I had the same gun, .22lr over a 20 gauge, kicked like a mule. Good luck.
https://www.briley.com/c-238-t...set-accessories.aspx

I sent them an email this morning, this could be the beginning of a fine adventure. I'd like a 25-20 barrel, too.

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TomP,
I have chamber inserts that convert a 20ga. to a 2 1/2 or 3" .410 ga. shell. I bought them years ago I think from Cabellas. The are/were made by GAUGE-MATE INC. I don't have an address but their phone# is stamped on the insert (800) 709-9910.
They made other inserts in other gauges as well.

Hip

Posts: 1785 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
TomP,
I have chamber inserts that convert a 20ga. to a 2 1/2 or 3" .410 ga. shell. I bought them years ago I think from Cabellas. The are/were made by GAUGE-MATE INC. I don't have an address but their phone# is stamped on the insert (800) 709-9910.
They made other inserts in other gauges as well.

Hip

Found'em. Thank you. I'll look into this in the morning.

https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=16602

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a shotgun gauge reducer, you can't beat the old Savage Four-Tenner; I use one in the slightly-damaged right (modified) damascus barrel on my Hollenbeck drilling, and it gives me good enough patterns with a .410 3" 7-1/2 to break at least half of my trap shots with it--can't do much better with my old Stevens 59 .410! There are several on GB right now.
windy

Posts: 39 | Location: far from God's country | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Wendover:
For a shotgun gauge reducer, you can't beat the old Savage Four-Tenner; I use one in the slightly-damaged right (modified) damascus barrel on my Hollenbeck drilling, and it gives me good enough patterns with a .410 3" 7-1/2 to break at least half of my trap shots with it--can't do much better with my old Stevens 59 .410! There are several on GB right now.
windy

I wonder if a machined aluminum version would work, since the existing barrel already holds the chamber pressure (or if the aluminum would deform)?

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the shorter "Einstecklauf" in .22mag installed in my drilling and the thing was dead nuts on out to 80 yards. I even killed a Roe deer with it with some very hot RWS .22 mag JHP ammo... I don't think I paid more than $250 for it...

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
VOL 717 I wish I had the discretionary cash to do this. It might be lots of fun. Be Well. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I wonder about a 22 Cooper Centerfire Magnum adapter, maybe an insert barrel glued into a machined aluminum adapter.

TomP