Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle drilling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello fellows,

In my hunting, I would, in practice, have no use for a drilling or other combo.
However, every now and again one thinks about the possibility and drools over the photos.

It being a dull Saturday, I decided to toy a bit with the idea again.

If you have or if you were were to have a double rifle drilling for large game (say deer and above), i.e. two rifle barrels and one shot barrel, what caliber would you prefer for the rifle barrels?
If you have photos, please, don't hesitate to post!

What if you were to have a rifle drilling, i.e. one with three rifle barrels and again thinking of large game?

If we take one step down and talk a combo, which rifle barrel would you consider to be best universally applicable?
Does anyone have a combo with switch barrels? If so, what calibers do you have?
Or which would you choose?

To answer my own questions, I'd be hard pushed between the 8x57JRS and the 9,3x74R.
If I were to have switch barrels on a drilling, I'd probably choose 9,3x74R for big game, and 7x57R or 7x65R for general use up to moose.

In a combo, I think 7mm is hard to beat.

BTW, why is the 7,62x53R not common in combos? Seems it would do anything the fairly common .30-06 does but with a rim!

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the real world for drilling rifles you are limited to the French gun sold by Kebco (Mathelon) and the Merkel rifle drilling. Both are in 9.3X74R. I have seen the Kebco gun but I don't think Merkel has made anything but the prototype. I don't know what the largest double rifle drilling is, but you can't go wrong with 9.3X74R and 20 gauge.

The rimmed .30/06 equivalent is satisfied with the 30R Blaser which is offered in most Euro guns. This caliber was developed originally to rechamber drillings chambered for .30/06 when people tired of the extractor slipping over the .30/06 extractor groove. The 30R Blaser is intentionally designed to clean up the .30/06 chamber with no ridges. I have a Ruger No 1 .30/06 rechambered to that caliber and it is a nice game hammer.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkel is currently making not only double rifle drilling, but also triple rifle drillings, and I believe they still have some in stock. I know they did a few months ago. They're really nice guns and very light weight.

Calibers they had them in was .308, .30-06, 8x57JRS, 9.3x74, and maybe .243.

Of course these guns were here in the US. Not sure what's available in Finland.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This caliber was developed originally to rechamber drillings chambered for .30/06 when people tired of the extractor slipping over the .30/06 extractor groove. The 30R Blaser is intentionally designed to clean up the .30/06 chamber with no ridges. I have a Ruger No 1 .30/06 rechambered to that caliber and it is a nice game hammer.

Chuck Hawks compares the 30R Blaser to the 30 06 AI...does the 30R develop a bit more MV/ME?
And ammo is tough to find as well as brass...8x57 (.323) is a lot easier and doesn't leave much on the table.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
My Heym 37B 9.3x74R/9.3x74R/20 ga. will handle most everything on the planet. Zeiss 6x scope in claw mounts to top it off. It's been my "little gun" on 4 safaris.

I have a BSW sidelock 16/16/8x57JR with extra set of bbls. 7x57R/7x57R/28 ga. (yes, that's correct, 28 ga.). When I get some time I need to thin the herd and sell this one.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1695 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done a lot of hunting with drillings, double rifle drillings and combo guns.

My wifes favorite hunting gun is her Sauer 12x12x30/06 Drilling with a 4X Kahles in claw mounts.

She has used it in Texas for deer, pigs, turkeys, ducks, quail, doves, rabbits, and squirrel. She has taken it on bear hunts in Montana and taken a bunch of grouse. She used it in Zimbabwe for Guinea Foul, frankolin, sand grouse, ducks and a few other African birds as well as a big kudu and a monster warthog.

I bought a Blaser D99 Duo in 9,3x74R,X9,3x74RX20ga, just for bear hunting in Idaho, so I can shoot mountain grouse as well. They are very good to eat.

Anywhere that fur and feathered game are in season at the same time, having rifle and shotgun barrels, on the same gun is a big plus, IMHO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:

I have a BSW sidelock 16/16/8x57JR with extra set of bbls. 7x57R/7x57R/28 ga. (yes, that's correct, 28 ga.).

Marvelous!!

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:

The rimmed .30/06 equivalent is satisfied with the 30R Blaser which is offered in most Euro guns. This caliber was developed originally to rechamber drillings chambered for .30/06 when people tired of the extractor slipping over the .30/06 extractor groove. The 30R Blaser is intentionally designed to clean up the .30/06 chamber with no ridges.

Ah-ha! This is the first time anyone gives a reasonable explanation as to the existence of the caliber; also explains quite a bit why it seems to be popular in Germany and Austria.
Still, the 7,62x53R would be a peach! What I cannot get over is why the combos have been chambered for the .30-06 in the first place, rather than the rimmed cartridge.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schauckis:
Still, the 7,62x53R would be a peach! What I cannot get over is why the combos have been chambered for the .30-06 in the first place, rather than the rimmed cartridge.

- Lars/Finland

I think the popularity of the .30'06 vs the 7.62x54R in different parts of Europe might have something to with who occupied where post '45 Wink

From memory Baikal, and Marocchi still makes combos in 7.62x54R

Posts: 46 | Location: Australia | Registered: 27 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had my choice it would be 375H&H flanged x2 and a 10 gauge single.

"Fear of the Lord is wisdom" Job 28:28

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new Merkel Double Rifle Drilling in .30-06/.30-0-6/20gauge available, new. It is extremely lightweight and versatile. Nice wwood, sights, and handling characteristics.

Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm Brenneke X 6.5x53R x 16ga
Back-action, hammers, snap-underlever with QD mounts and cartridge traps in the butt and the comb.
Please have Hambrusch build it for me, I will provide a shipping address.

That would pretty much do it for me in a double rifle drilling, or "Bock-Buechsflinte"

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
I have a new Merkel Double Rifle Drilling in .30-06/.30-0-6/20gauge available, new. It is extremely lightweight and versatile. Nice wwood, sights, and handling characteristics.

Mike

This gun is now posted on Gunsinternational under Merkel Rifles and under Drilling / Combo Guns. Take a look, Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DD if you decided to move that gun PLEASE list on AR first.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
DD if you decided to move that gun PLEASE list on AR first.

PM sent.

Deo Vindice,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
my dream would be 375 H&H x2 over 12 gauge.

"Fear of the Lord is wisdom" Job 28:28

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I have a NIB Merkel 9,3x74R,9,3x74R,20 ga if anyone's interested.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...591003951#1591003951

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1559 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schauckis:
Hello fellows,

If you have or if you were were to have a double rifle drilling for large game (say deer and above), i.e. two rifle barrels and one shot barrel, what caliber would you prefer for the rifle barrels?
To answer my own questions, I'd be hard pushed between the 8x57JRS and the 9,3x74R.
If I were to have switch barrels on a drilling, I'd probably choose 9,3x74R for big game, and 7x57R or 7x65R for general use up to moose.

In a combo, I think 7mm is hard to beat.

BTW, why is the 7,62x53R not common in combos? Seems it would do anything the fairly common .30-06 does but with a rim!

- Lars/Finland

Schauckis, The double rifle drilling, even the triple rifle drilling are the only ones that stir my juices!

For your purposes stated for deer and up but not Africa the 9.3X74R-9.3X74R- 20 ga would be my choice. The 9.3X74R is a fine chambering for North America, and most of Europe and will handle anything those places have to offer. The 20 ga shot barrel with changeable choke tubes will handle not only upland birds, but with Breneke slugs take on Wild boar, and bear as a back-up for the rifle barrels.

There are a couple of companies that are making a triple rifle barrel drilling with two triggers with the front trigger acting as a single trigger for the top two barrels, and the back trigger firing the bottom barrel.

My choice would be a 450NE-450NE- 20 ga shot barrel below between the rifle barrels. I’d want claw mount low powered Trijicon 1-4X28 scope for use in follow up or cats, and bear over bait. The scope could be carried in a back pouch to be installed when needed.

The 450NE will take anything in North America, or Europe, and also in Africa as well, and could be made in the 10 to 10.5 pound weight, and take on anything you might encounter on Earth!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
There is a brand new Merkel double rifle drilling for sale on the classifieds right now on this website! It is a 9.3X74R/9.3X74R/20 ga in upscale trim, with Quality quick detach scope rings and bases housing a 2-6X40 Luepold scope for $8500 with a case.

The above is very tempting and I wish someone would buy it before I loose the resistance battle and buy it myself! shocker

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:My choice would be a 450NE-450NE- 20 ga shot barrel below between the rifle barrels. I’d want claw mount low powered Trijicon 1-4X28 scope for use in follow up or cats, and bear over bait. The scope could be carried in a back pouch to be installed when needed.

Mac, how about a .450/.400 3"/.450/.400 3"/20 ga. 3"?? Big Grin stir

Deo Vindice,

Don

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:My choice would be a 450NE-450NE- 20 ga shot barrel below between the rifle barrels. I’d want claw mount low powered Trijicon 1-4X28 scope for use in follow up or cats, and bear over bait. The scope could be carried in a back pouch to be installed when needed.

Mac, how about a .450/.400 3"/.450/.400 3"/20 ga. 3"?? Big Grin stir

That would be sweet as well! tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

posted Hide Post
The question with any firearm purchase is; what will it be used for? I have thought about the double-rifle Drilling but...

What does one really do with just 1 shotgun barrel ? For instance, you can buy double gun dangerous game rifles which also have, as an extra, side by side double shotgun barrels. Is this 2 rifle barrels system not a better balanced rifle option? And, when fitted, are the 2 shotgun barrels not always more useful than 1 for any wingshooting to be done?

Peter Turnball-Kemp, author of The Leopard, suggested both the "normal" Drilling (2 shotguns, one rifle), and the double-rifle Drilling to be the ideal leopard gun. He explained the latter would allow a second shot to be taken if the first missed, as there are no bolt manipulation noises needed to reload, that would scare off the leopard still in the area. But it must be a very rare cat indeed these days that comes back to the same bait tree that night to be shot at again, surely?

If I was offered a 9,3x74R, 9,3x74R double-rifle Drilling, I'm sure it would be tempting, but when would I want to use a single 20 gauge on a big game hunt, knowing that it might scare off the main quarry?

Some suggest using the 3rd barrel shotgun with a slug or buckshot as the last shot available for a dangerous game charge but, even if this were sensible, (with a 20 gauge), the necessary switching of the rifle to shotgun selector takes time, something the user will not have. Yet the 2 triggers will not fire the 3rd barrel without that switch.

As for a suitable calibers; rimmed only please especially for dangerous game. As well as 9,3x74R one might also consider the proven 8x75RS, the necked down version of the 9,3x74R case, with suitable bullets. Merkel begun to re-offer this caliber as a Drilling option in recent years.

Lastly, the Drilling has been offered in many different rimmed calibers over the years, such as .303 British, .30-30 and even 7,62 Russian. Why can't you buy these calibers now? Previous lackluster sales, of course.

Posts: 19 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I had a beautiful Ed Kettner 9x57,9x57,16 back action hammer double rifle drilling with claw mount Hensold 4x scope. The back action hammer gun is, IMHO, the best looking action out there. It was great for a while but not for the type of hunting I do in Montana where ranges are often 250 - 350 yards on mule deer and antelope. It is sold with few regrets and great memories.

I took an antelope buck, mule deer buck, several white tail does, pheasant, blue grouse and a cow elk with it. I also "hunted" a buffalo with it but it was more like a barn yard shoot in a feed lot. Not proud. Apparently the current owners cools down black bears with it. Even though it was made for boar hunting in Europe, it would be hard to find a better baited bear rifle than a double rifle drilling.

With limited funds and time it was difficult to get it regulated properly but fun to shoot.

If I were to do it again I'd take any 9.3x74R, 7mm Brenneke or 8x60R I could find that I liked and wouldn't look back.

DO IT!!! Get one and have a blast. If I win the lottery I'm going to buy a few more just for fun.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a brand new Merkel double rifle drilling for sale on the classifieds right now on this website! It is a 9.3X74R/9.3X74R/20 ga in upscale trim, with Quality quick detach scope rings and bases housing a 2-6X40 Luepold scope for $8500 with a case.

The above is very tempting and I wish someone would buy it before I loose the resistance battle and buy it myself!

Hey, that would work for me Big Grin

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1559 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi_bloke:
The question with any firearm purchase is; what will it be used for? I have thought about the double-rifle Drilling but...

What does one really do with just 1 shotgun barrel ? For instance, you can buy double gun dangerous game rifles which also have, as an extra, side by side double shotgun barrels. Is this 2 rifle barrels system not a better balanced rifle option? And, when fitted, are the 2 shotgun barrels not always more useful than 1 for any wingshooting to be done?

If I was offered a 9,3x74R, 9,3x74R double-rifle Drilling, I'm sure it would be tempting, but when would I want to use a single 20 gauge on a big game hunt, knowing that it might scare off the main quarry?

Some suggest using the 3rd barrel shotgun with a slug or buckshot as the last shot available for a dangerous game charge but, even if this were sensible, (with a 20 gauge), the necessary switching of the rifle to shotgun selector takes time, something the user will not have. Yet the 2 triggers will not fire the 3rd barrel without that switch.

Lastly, the Drilling has been offered in many different rimmed calibers over the years, such as .303 British, .30-30 and even 7,62 Russian. Why can't you buy these calibers now? Previous lackluster sales, of course.

Hello Kiwi_bloke!
Good text - your line of thinking is almost identical to that of mine.
Always when thinking about the drilling I end up asking: "But what for?" I know the correct answer is "anything" - that's what the drilling is for!
My hunting, however, typically is after one game animal or one type of animal at a time, e.g. moose only or moose and deer. Well, then the rifle is the better option for me.

When bird hunting in the Finnish forests the opportunity to use the rifle barrel fairly seldom materialises. To this end, many like the O/U combo. It allows you to shoot the bird e.g. on a field or an opening in the forest.
For those who walk the forests and shoot birds and small fur animals like fox, rabbit, and raccoon dog the drilling or combo is a good option for sure; but I think the opportunity or need to use the rifle barrel is rather rare after all.

My main hunting is big game and thus the need for the shot barrel is the more seldom occurring; that's why I consider the double rifle. The shot barrel can be used as spare option with the slug or on the occasions in Estonia or Central Europe where on driven hunts you may also shoot fox.
Generally, still, the better option would be a (double) rifle - especially with a set of shot barrels.

But what do you mean with the notion that you always need to use the switch in order to fire the shot barrel?
I have been under the impression that you have 2 triggers: one (usually front) will fire the rifle barrels, and the other will fire the shot barrel.
Such a set-up would allow for very smooth use of the extra barrel.

Caliber-wise I also agree. Especially the 7,62x53R would be nice as so many good load option exist for that!

-Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRH270:
quote:

The above is very tempting and I wish someone would buy it before I loose the resistance battle and buy it myself!

Hey, that would work for me Big Grin

Here you go!

This is actually the only drilling configuration that interests me!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the shotgun barrels on my drillings and combo guns quite a bit.
It has not effected the game hunted and shot with the rifle barrels as near as I can tell.

I have shot a couple of squirrels, and 30 minutes later had a deer or a pig come right on in.

Also many times when I have been walking I have shot small game or grouse, and then a little while later shot some sort of big game.

As I like to eat small game, any time there is big game and small game inseason at the same time I like to carry some sort of combo gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a true story, of a mornings hunt with a double rifle drilling, a 308/308/20ga.

Right at daybreak I shot a good sized wild hog at about 90 yards. It was a bang flop, he went right down.

At the shot I heard several turkeys gobble just on the other side of the river.

In about 20 minutes or so a turkey flew across the river and landed about 30 yards in from of me. I shot him with a 3" No5 20ga shell.
About 3 seconds a second one landed about 25 yards away, I quickly reloaded [only one shotgun barrel remember] and killed a second turkey.

Thirty or so minutes later I see some ducks land in the river about 80 yrds from me. I sneak over to the river and shoot one with a load of No5 Bismuth.

I retrive the duck and start to walk over to look at the dead pig when a squirrel stands up about 25 yards away. I shoot him with a 2 3/4" No6.

Now I know this sounds like a made up story, but I assure you it is absolutely the truth.

Later that day on the evening hunt I killed a deer with one of the rifle barrels.

All the animals were shot with the scope on the Drilling.

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Schauckis, I think you need a drilling with 9.3x53R/9,3x53R/16/70 barrels...;-)

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2,

Are you sure you didn't die and go to heaven???
That would be an Epic day for me, that's for sure.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Interesting discussion. My choice under the given circumstances would be 9.3x74 x 2 and a 20 guage barrel.

But one of the great things of a drilling is having the ability to use different calibers for different game, so I use what is called the over/under drilling, or Bockdrilling. I have never had the 30-06 slip under the ejector so that failure must have been with other type drillings. Having a shotgun barrel does come in handy, just like 450 No 2 notes!

I use a 20 guage over a 30-06 with a Hornet on the side. For hunting various game from deer to boar to fox to hare, it is the best I have known, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
Schauckis, I think you need a drilling with 9.3x53R/9,3x53R/16/70 barrels...;-)

HANDMADE in FINLAND

Mady by whom???

- Lars/Finland

PS. Did you already sell the Sako Mauser? I "sensibly" (?) bought a new Tikka T3 stainless.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you already sell the Sako Mauser? I "sensibly" (?) bought a new Tikka T3 stainless.
Yes I did, it got a new proud owner. And it seem that you bought a rifle which suits better to your soul.. ;-)

I´m sure allmost any drilling maker from Ferlach can build one with those calibers I mentioned.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah - Handmade in Finland is your signature....
I thought you meant that I ought to get a Finnish-made drilling, you see.

And the Tikka is far less suited to my soul than the Sako! It just suits my real-world needs better.... Glad to hear the Sako found a good home!

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phatman:
NE 450 No2,

Are you sure you didn't die and go to heaven???
That would be an Epic day for me, that's for sure.

Cheers, John

It was a fun hunting day for sure.
I really like Drillings and Combo guns.
Where I hunt I have killed 2 or 3 different kinds of game with the shotgun, and then a deer/ and or a pig on the same day.

They have proven most useful for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an itch... And you guys aren't helping. I hunt blacktail deer or bear primarily with grouse on the side. I like the 30/06, 22 Hornet, shotgun combo. I also like the sound of the 7x57 and 28 gauge mentioned above for what I do. I've personally always wanted a .375 Winchester x2 over a 20 or 28 gauge. Anybody have one? That would be hard to resist, especially if regulated with factory 200 grainers

Posts: 70 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chubs

For the Pacific North West, I think a 9,3x74R/20ga Double Rifle Drilling, with scope in QD mounts would be perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a couple cheap combo guns (think Voere) trying to figure out if the concept is practical for me here. It seems the 9.3x74R would be overkill for our game, but a nice combination. I've used .375 Winchester caliber very effectively on large deer and bear (in a lever) and have dreamed of a 375 double with an additional shotgun barrel. Bucket list...

Posts: 70 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chubs:
I've used a couple cheap combo guns (think Voere) trying to figure out if the concept is practical for me here. It seems the 9.3x74R would be overkill for our game, but a nice combination. I've used .375 Winchester caliber very effectively on large deer and bear (in a lever) and have dreamed of a 375 double with an additional shotgun barrel. Bucket list...

They made Valmet 412 DR's chambered in 375 Win., and also both 12ga and 20ga. bbl. sets that go on the same receiver...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote