New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firing Pin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently acquired a drilling. 16x16/8x57JRS. Have not yet fired it. Very pleased with just about everything except a chip out of the very front of the rifle barrel firing pin.
My intention at this point is to see if it fires the rifle barrel reliably and if so probably do nothing. If however things don't work out it will probably entail getting a new firing pin.
Two questions. First, anyone have any idea of who would be best to do the work? Secondly, what would be an approximate cost?
Any other thoughts appreciated too.
Thanks, Bill

Posts: 312 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF the firing pin has a sharp point or edge on it I would not fire the rifle, as it might pierce the primer and damage the rifle.

J J Perodeau at Champlins in Enid Ok. can fix it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on JJ and not shooting the gun.
You can call JJ and talk with him. He's really great like that.
The only other gunsmiths that I trust my drillings and combos to are Pacific International.
As for cost, you can ask.
Bfly

EDIT: Pacific International=PISCO

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Edge is actually fairly smooth--like it's been there a while but I hadn't given the ruptured primer aspect any thought. Appreciate the insight.
Thanks for the contacts. Will get the pin replaced and have the gun cleaned.
Bill

Posts: 312 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the Drilling have a scope mounted on it?

The reason I ask is that if you are going to send it to JJ then consider having a scope fitted in claw mounts.

With a scope the 8x57JRS is easially a 300 yard cartridge.

The wife and I have done a lot of hunting with scoped drillings, and combo guns.

A scope on a Drilling or Combo gun really increases its usefulness. IMHO of course. Smiler

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made a couple of firing pins for older shot guns. As long as the old one is mostly whole to copy having one made shouldn't to hard.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had PISCO in Coquille OR make firing pins for several guns. Bob Dunlap is a master gunsmith and is very reasonable in his prices. PISCO also gets the work out and gun back to you.

http://www.piscogunsmithing.com/

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't decided where to get the repair done yet. Both places appear very capable.
Don't know about a scope at this point. Most of my hunting is grouse with the possibility of deer, elk as the seasons overlap. Mostly wooded areas. Shots are not usually far. Since this is my first drilling I want to see how things work out first
Although I really like the Gamebore 2 1/2" shot shells I had my other shotguns chambers extended and the forcing cone lengthened just to allow flexibility and may do the same with this drilling. It did seem to reduce the recoil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd give an update.
Had the forcing cones lengthened and the chokes brought out to IC and MOD.
My local guy looked at the firing pin, opened up the action, got the pin out and stoned the tip. It cleaned right up. He still recommended a new pin because he felt the protrusion was now a little short but I've had no failures to fire after about 45 shots.
I'm starting another thread on a different topic.
Thanks for all the help.