New
Find
Notify
Tools

Combo with the combo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Headed up to the ranch to restock the feeders with corn and try to kill a hog or two. Made it around to the two feeders used for hogs, got them refilled, and cut a little brush to better my field of view from the tripod stand. Also cobbled together a frame to set my LEDs on so as to not have to use a bunch of bungees. Finished up the work and headed back to the camp house for a cool "Dew"(-my caffiene supplier). Drug out a chair to enjoy the 40 MPH breeze. A motion from the edge of the yard caught my eye and a bobcat walked across the yard about 20 ft from me. Of course, the combo was in the truck about 30 yds away. I waited until the cat had went into the weeds and ran for the truck, got the combo, braced over the hood and touched off the 06, no dice, so touched of the 12 slug, bingo, one less cat to mess with the turkeys.Picked up the cat and returned to the house, propped the cat and posed with the combo. Went to the truck and got the camera, returned and snapped a couple of pics. Headed back to the truck with the camera,
out slithers a 4-4 1/2 ft rattler. The combo is back at the house posed with the cat. I ran to get it and returned with hopes of killing the rattler. (we don't like them around the house!!!) Mr rattler was no where to be found and I was not going into the weeds to try to find him.
Set around a while with gun in hand but no more Mr rattler. We had one about this size come into the campfire during dove season and he met a rapidly grabbed shovel. There a dozen people around the fire-I guess he thought he was invited-wrong!
Headed out to hog stand, my favorite is a tripod about 20 ft in the air with good visability. A couple of does came into the feedeer. I really like it when there are deer at the feeder because when hogs are in the area
they go on point and leave immediately. Which they did. In came 3 sows about 150+/-, waited and watched a few minutes for them to settle down and touched off the 06 on the largest one-DRT and a lengthy dirt dance. Got down and propared to drag it to the coyote bait location and remembered to take a pic after I had tied on to drag it off. I will post some pics later.Hunting42910

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wally, Me thinks you need to learn to keep that combogun with you so you are not always having to fetch it before you can shoot something. Byron

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote