New
Find
Notify
Tools

need info on 9.3x72Rmmsauer ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a sauer drilling in the 9.3x72Rmm sauer caliber. seeing I cant find any source for this ammo can this chamber be safely opened up to the common 9.3x72R ammo. and by trial and error regulate the gun?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you certain it's the Sauer 9.3? If you've made a chamber cast or someone has it's rather unmistakable so the odds of being wrong aren't all that high, just maybe a hope. It's a bit rare but certainly not unknown.

If you don't handload you're....well, not in a good situation. The 9.3 X 72R Normalized is too small throughout its dimensions so your drilling can't be rechambered simply by running a reamer in. The 9.3 X 72R Sauer brass can be made. A short case could be made from 7 X 57R. Another option is the 9.3 X 74R but would be a bit of work and probably a bit expensive in time, however, you would have proper length cases. Either would be better and a lot less expensive than altering the drilling. I have a friend who shoots one and I believe he makes his brass, let me find out what he does before you alter a drilling.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I havent made a chamber cast as of yet. I ordered the cerrosafe last week. a regulare 9.3x72Rmm will not chamber. the barrel is marked as a 9.3 mm bore. quite frankly the last thing I really want to do is alter this drilling it is one of a pair the other a sxs sauer double rifle. both 1893 vintage I hunt with the sxs rifle.
regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh...so there's some "devils in the details" that remain to be discovered? What cartridge is the other set of barrels? Often with a pair like that the rifle cartridges are the same. Evidently not?

I was looking at the 9.3 X 74R before I e-mailed Mike. I received a reply from him this afternoon and he said he used the 9.3 X 74R, sized, trimmed and fireformed. He mentioned he used 9.3 X 74R dies to reload for it. I assume he's neck sizing only. I use 9.3 X 74R dies to load for my 9.3 X 75R Nimrod and that's what I do. From memory, and Mike, the head sizes are different but not enough to matter. A bit may have to come off the rim of the X74R but it won't be much.

You said 9.3 X 72R wouldn't chamber, meaning it won't go all the way in, correct? It should fall into the chamber and rattle around unless the bullet dia. is catching in the rifling...which doesn't make sense. This could be a fun one to load for. Once your Cerrosafe arrives and you get your chamber cast see what that tells you....isn't that an astute observance on my part...lol! You might get lucky or you might have a lot of fun work cut out for you. I'd be pleased to know what you learn.

That's great you hunt with it. I love doing this sort of thing, finding an old rifle, forming the brass and working up a good load for it then hunting with it. That's what they were made for!!!

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a candle? Have used candle wax before, it is not as good for sending off to have dies made but works fine for determining chamber dimensions.

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drug store sulfur will do the same but it is exceedingly brittle. Heat it and melt it like anything else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as for the sauer sxs rifle [1893 vintage] I fire form .348 Winchester brass to the chamber and the bullet size is .430 crimp the neck [gently] with a .300 mag sizing die. it papers within 2 inches out to 100 yards. as I said I hunt with it for the better part of the deer season here in N.C.[nov-jan] the drilling has laid dormant for to long and will be used as soon as I figure this thing out with the help of people such as you. the rifle barrel is marked 108/49 which I believe is 9.3mm the chamber seems to be either 72 0r 74 mm. the drilling is mated to the rifle but is 1904 vintage. they have been together since their liberation in WW2. the chamber cast hopefully will answer the caliber question. the deer season will be closed by then but the coyote season is forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok....I believe I have things straight now. You're talking two different firearms, a drilling and a double rifle. When you said "one of a pair" somehow I got it in my head you meant two sets of barrels for one receiver. Then I read double and drilling and almost became nauseous from my head spinning until I "figgered it out"....Big Grin That'll teach me, eh?

You can slug the bore real easy and know for certain. I believe you're correct that "108" is 9.3 but that doesn't mean it measures .366. The "49" I'm not sure of. I think the 9.3 X 72R is noted as 108/38...but don't trust that till you check it.

Your double. You mention using 348 brass and the bullet being .430. Is it chambered for the 11.15 X 60R, (43 Mauser)? My first double rifle is in that cartridge and I rather like the old beast! Bullet diameters are all over the place for that cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the sxs rifle is .43 Spanish except the bore is .430 375 grain bullet rather than the usual .439 or .454 it took me quite some time to figure the sxs rifle out. it gave me fits as the gun was marked as a Russian berdan but the .43 Spanish fit perfect and the chamber cast said .43 Spanish. then everyone thought it was a .43 mauser. in the end I got it worked out and the gun is a pleasure to carry and hunt with. im sure the drilling will work out with your input and others.