New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 7x65/20 ga. combination gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a combination gun, probably in 7x65 and 20 ga., for hunting here in Utah. I am open to considering other calibers. I want to keep it to one barrel each (no drillings) to keep the weight down. Where should I start looking? I will be at the Wannamaker Gun Show in Tulsa next weekend. Do any of you know dealers who may be at the show?

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If this is your first, I would suggest a Valmet in .308 or .30-06 and 12-gauge; you should be able to find one in the $1,000 range and additional barrels for shotgun or double rifle are readily available. The 20-gauge combination guns are somewhat scarce; 16-gauge is most common in the German and Austrian guns, with 12-gauge being the next most common. I commonly see nice 16-gauge/7x57R guns for sale in the $1500 to $2000 range if you want something a bit more elegant than the Valmet. A place to start your search is here; http://www.simpsonltd.com, or try Dale Nygard at dln@lakedalelink.net.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Dale, I had a 7.65R/12ga and it was wonderful combination. There is a 5x6 non-typical blacktail head hanging on my wall that I shot with that. I also used it for pheasant hunting.

I think a 7.65R/20ga would be marvelous. The rimmed cartridge is perfect for a break-open gun. Building the combination on a 20 gauge action would be very handy and lighter than a 12ga combination. I don't recall ever seeing a 7.65R/20ga combination before. I hope you can locate one.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are pretty versatile. I have a fully engraved 1904-05 Gundermann in 16 gauge OVER 8x57R/360 that is about perfect for most days out in the field.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will have a much better selection if you go 16/70 and 7x65R. The 20 gauge is considered a ladies gauge in Europe...or often combined with small calibers (222, 5.6x50R, etc). I have a Krieghoff dural combo in 16/7x65R, Zeiss on swing mount with an extra set of 16 barrels. Pm me if interested.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input from all of you. I realize that a combination gun in 16 ga. would probably be easier to find, and I am open to that. I will consider both a new gun or a used gun. I probably would avoid a Valmet - they just seem big and clunky to me.

Do any of you know dealers who might be at the Wannamaker Gun Show?

Thanks.

Dale

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Dale, before you jump to 16ga you should compare availability and selection of ammo for 16ga vs 20ga.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 16 ga for birds, waterfowl, vermin, etc and slugs for deer along with the 7x65R. Ammo is not a problem.
I really like the light alloy combo guns. My 16-7x65R drilling only weighs 6lb 10...with 26" barrels

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
I am looking for a combination gun, probably in 7x65 and 20 ga., for hunting here in Utah. I am open to considering other calibers. I want to keep it to one barrel each (no drillings) to keep the weight down. Where should I start looking? I will be at the Wannamaker Gun Show in Tulsa next weekend. Do any of you know dealers who may be at the show?

Krieghoff made the Ultra 20, a .243 Winchester over a 20 gauge. I would have liked to have gotten one of them, but didn't have the money at the time.
Savage was not interested in making a 243/20, and I ended up getting a Savage 24V rebored 6mm to make a 6x45mm. So far, so good.
When I lived in Logan, I shot a Winchester Model 70 in 7 mm Remington that I bought at a Salt Lake City gun show.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14325 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up this set in a trade, might something like this be of interest to you?
It is an Italian made Antonio Zoli lux from the 80's. It comes in a beautiful leather case, with Three barrels: DB, shotgun and combo. The combo is in 222/20-76, so it is not the calibre combination you are looking for. But, Zoli has produced combination guns in a number of calibre combinations, so I am certain that you will find one in 7x65R. The combo weighs 2.9kg (6.4 LBS). The same fore end fits both the combo and the shotgun barrels. The shotgun barrels are in 20-76. The double rifle barrel is chambered for 7x65R. I will use the combo barrel for roe deer and fowl, so it is an ok but not Perfect calibre combo for me. Both the shotgun and double rifle bbls are fittet With ejectors.
Here in Norway lisenced Hunters can own up to 6 hunting guns (handguns are not allowed for hunting), no questions asked. A set like this frees up space in the gun wardrobe, as it only fills one slot. Italian guns comes much cheaper than their German or Austrian counterparts. I got this set cheap, so for me it is a bargain :-). Cant wait to start testing loads! I do not know anything about the US hunting gun market, so I do not know if anything like this is avaliable to you. Best of Luck!

Posts: 42 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skaubjonn:

That is just the kind of gun I am looking for. I want something big enough for deer and elk and also be able to shoot grouse. I am somewhat familiar with Italian shotguns. I was stationed in Italy in the Army and brought back 4 Beretta shotguns. I will look into the A. Zoli guns.

Dale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dale. Are you interested in buying my set? I am well covered when it comes to combination guns and as I picked up this set in a trade I am going to sell it sooner or later. I intended to keep it for a while to tinker with loads and such, just for fun. But if you want it I can sell it now. I have a contact here in Norway who runs a gun import business and he has an export lisence. He can handle the paperwork and shipping out of Norway. I do not know what the requirements are for you to be able to import it post 9/11, I guess that this would have to be done by someone with an import lisence? Let me know if you are interested in looking into this. I can sell it cheaper than comparable sets that I have found through a quick Google search; like this one Zoli

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Skaubjonn, that is a lovely combination and the 7x65R is one of my favorites, a very versatile caliber. I think that the Zoli guns are underrated. I would be proud to own the set you have.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a JP Sauer 16/16/ 7X57R drilling that weighs 6 lb without the scope. It a dural frame gun and the lightest drilling I've ever owned. Consider a drilling rather than a combo gun as it gives you two shots with the shotgun. I have another Merkel drilling in 16/16/ 9.3X74R that was regulated with 16GA Brenneke 2.5" slugs in the left barrel. I have a lifetime supply of the slugs of recent manufacture. That one makes a nice combination but is a lot heavier than the Sauer.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another AR user was interested in buying the set. I have checked and it is not worthwhile. Too much paperwork and expenses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaser offers the B97 in 20/7x65r still I believe
You would have to order it new and it does take time to receive is the only knock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a fellow selling a Krieghoff Ultra 20/9.3X74R on blaserbuds.com. I sold it to him because the gun had too much cast off for a lefty. A very nice gun otherwise.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank everyone for their comments. I saw very few combination guns at the Wannamaker Gun Show in Tulsa. However, I contacted a Zoli dealer and they are able to import them from Italy. That might be my best option. I am not in too much of a rush to buy one, as I just booked a sable hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skaubjonn - PM'd you.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote