THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Cape Gun in Opening Sequence of Jeremiah Johnson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Gun in Opening Sequence of Jeremiah Johnson
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted
Jeremiah Johnson is playing on Turner Classic Movies tonight. Redford's character is starving and trying to catch, by hand, a couple of trout in an icy mountain stream. As he tries to grab an miss the trout, he looks up and sees and Indian on horseback - with a full stringer of fish.

Never noticed this before, but watching in HD on my nice big flat screen, the Indian is carrying a muzzle loading "Cape Gun". It has a ramrod on the bottom and the top two barrels appear to be a shotgun on one side, and a rifle barrel (looks to be a .32 or something fairly small.

I'm assuming they didn't make the gun out of thin air. So has anyone ever seen an antique "Cape Gun"?

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Combination guns date to at least Revolutionary Era America and probably before that on the Continent. I've watched that movie probably 500 times and never noticed that. Probably thinking how cold Redford must be in that water. My oldest son and I literally wore out two VHS tape of it, (I believe he can quote the movie in its entirety). Next time I see it on TV I will definitely be looking for that.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I keep looking for a Blue Ray with commentary about the making of the movie. An all time favorite.

Dave

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite movies and first noticed the muzzleloading combination gun about 15yrs ago - first time I have seen this in a thread here, tho.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page
A fun website detailing guns used in most of the movies and tv shows we watch...
'unfortunately they had little on
Jeremiah Johnson

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An fan of the movie should get a copy of "Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson". He was a FAR bigger bad-ass than they could put across in the movie. We're talking captured by Blackfeet who were going to sell him to the Crow, he killed the guy guarding him and took a leg off at the hip and headed unarmed into a Wyoming winter. The leg froze, which was useful when he used it to chase a bear out of a cave he wanted to use. The Crows sent their 20 best warriors, the fastest, the best tracker, the best fighter, etc. after him with instructions not to come back while he lived. He killed the last one 8 years later. I just missed getting hold of his badge from when he was a town marshall in Montana after trapping petered out. He actually died in L.A. of all places.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9401 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
An fan of the movie should get a copy of "Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson". He was a FAR bigger bad-ass than they could put across in the movie. We're talking captured by Blackfeet who were going to sell him to the Crow, he killed the guy guarding him and took a leg off at the hip and headed unarmed into a Wyoming winter. The leg froze, which was useful when he used it to chase a bear out of a cave he wanted to use. The Crows sent their 20 best warriors, the fastest, the best tracker, the best fighter, etc. after him with instructions not to come back while he lived. He killed the last one 8 years later. I just missed getting hold of his badge from when he was a town marshall in Montana after trapping petered out. He actually died in L.A. of all places.

Read that one about once a year. What Montana town was that?

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:

Read that one about once a year. What Montana town was that?

I'll have to dig out my copy when I get back to Tennessee. The badge was originally lotted in the Harrisburg Western auction but got pulled after the sale started, so I bought Annie Oakley's folding rocking chair instead Wink

Posts: 9401 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was Town Marshal in Red Lodge Mt-if memory serves.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure he is now buried in Cody, Wyoming at Old Trail Town. He was some he was!

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
"Bronze statue of Liver-Eating Johnson erected over his grave at Old Trail Town in Cody, Wyoming." --

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3 X 75R:
I'm pretty sure he is now buried in Cody, Wyoming at Old Trail Town. He was some he was!

He was buried in L.A. on Sepulveda, and Robert Redford got him moved. Where the kettle with the bones of his wife and child rests nobody knows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the rifles are interesting. There are two makers today active in building them. One is a swivel breech that David Price builds, as kits or complete rifles.
It has a side lever on the left side that pushed down to rotate the barrels. Complete separate locks, etc using a common trigger. About $2600. Each with its own ramrod.

The other one is a true O/U updated from a mid-18th century percussion DR. The information is in the Jan-Feb 2015 Muzzle Loader Magazine review section. About the same price.

Imagine the surprise if you were attacked by two hostiles. Bang! flip, Bang!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there any books about his life and times?
shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by npd345:
Are there any books about his life and times?
shane

This is the best non-fiction. Vardis Fisher's Mountain Man is a novelized version and was the inspiration for the movie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crow Killer, Dixie Gun Works used to carry it but I don't know how accurate it is. It is a good read at any rate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks I will see if I can find it at one of the stores or online
shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of my favorite movies and first noticed the muzzleloading combination gun about 15yrs ago - first time I have seen this in a thread here, tho.

One of my favorites as well, and the cape gun is one of my favorite firearms too. I too noticed the cape gun the Indian had as well.

I still have a VHS copy of that movie as well, but there was something in the movie at the theater that is missing about the Indian in my copy! In the theater the Indian dropped a few of the trout for Johnson and rode away. That is not in the VHS film I have.

........................................................................ coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

One of my favorites as well, and the cape gun is one of my favorite firearms too. I too noticed the cape gun the Indian had as well.

I still have a VHS copy of that movie as well, but there was something in the movie at the theater that is missing about the Indian in my copy! In the theater the Indian dropped a few of the trout for Johnson and rode away. That is not in the VHS film I have.

Get out! I've never heard that. I've got a VHS tape, two DVDs, and a copy on my iPad that I purchased from iTunes - none of them have that...it would add something to the story. I'll have to do some research on that, Mac!

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I remember that the chief gave Jeremiah a stringer of fish. For what it's worth I remember noticing the buchsflinte the first time I saw the movie about 1976 I would say.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Get out! I've never heard that. I've got a VHS tape, two DVDs, and a copy on my iPad that I purchased from iTunes - none of them have that...it would add something to the story. I'll have to do some research on that, Mac!

Then later in my VHS film and in theater film that same Indian stated, before Grizz asked if the Indian and Johnson knew each other,that Johnson "fished poorly"! That little omission disturbed me when I bought the film years later.

Another favorite was "Mountain Men" with Charlton Heston, and Brian Keith.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Apparently eight minutes of the theatrical version were cut for the version sold aftermarket. I'm assuming Mac's scene was part of that eight minutes. I'm wondering where I can get the original version...

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd been waiting for the movie to be on TV, as it often is. I caught it before it started yesterday and 'shore 'nuff!!'. There it was! Cool!!!