THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    A Blind Date With A German Girl! (Pics Added)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Blind Date With A German Girl! (Pics Added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A while back I posted a WTT in Arbay. Luckily, one of our trusted members gave me a call and we worked out a trade. A lovely German Girl from the Sauer family arrived. I went strictly on trust on this one, I saw no pictures before the trade. She turned out to be a beautiful 1931 sidelock 12/12/9.3x74R Sauer with a rifle cocking lever. She wears a Jena 4X in claws. The finish is nearly perfect with all of the case colors still vivid and really nice original finish on the wood. She has a dolls head and a combined extractor.

I took her to the range today, so to speak dancing on our first date. She operates flawlessly and for a 12 gauge frame, she handles like a nice shotgun. She does come back pretty sharply off the bench, but not bad if you sit up straight. I would put the recoil of this gun below what I felt from my previous x74's because the stock is a pretty good fit. I put about fifteen rounds downrange.

I was told she shoots low. The group prints about 6-7 inches low both with irons and the scope and nicely centered at fifty yards. The Jena did not seem to be responsive to verticle adjustment. I'll run it with the collimator and see if it needs to get fixed. I guess I'll need to try some heavier and maybe slower loads to find what works with the iron sights. I have not patterned the shotgun barrels yet.
For sure I'll have to get my 22 mag Einstecklauf fitted and the scope thing squared away, but I'm real happy so far. It should be a nice heavy to partner with my 16/16/7x57 that has a 5.6x50R insert. I think I've finally put together the pair.
Pictures when I find my camera.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Tease! Wink

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look forward to seeing your new gal! A 12 bore in a drilling has never appealed to me but given your explanation for your two drilling battery it makes perfect sense. You should be good to go about anywhere in the world.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a pair of pictures

Hunting the rest of the world is probably not on my opportunity list anymore. I do have a love for German guns, particularly drillings and BBF's. My goal here is a black bear gun. Our bear hunting is in the fall and we have some pretty big bears where I hunt. Since it's fall hunting with no snow and the fat often stops the blood flow so, I prefer a bigger exit hole than I would get with my 7x57. Besides, I've spent a lot of range time with the 9.3x74R and next to the 06, it's my favorite cartridge. I also do quite a bit of buckshot deer hunting in really thick cover. The 12 has a more positive swat than the 16, although both work. I'll probably switch between them through when deer and turkey hunting.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Nice! It is one of the few 12-gauge drillings I have seen that does not look chubby.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
Nice! It is one of the few 12-gauge drillings I have seen that does not look chubby.

My sentiments exactly. Nice piece!!

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow, very nice!! I enjoyed your post. Very well said. Reminded me of the talks we had at BP. It's been too long and I sure do miss those days. Randy

Posts: 13 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 09 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Enjoy!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7536 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just a simple "WOW!!!"

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucky guy!
Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote