New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sauer drilling price ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone give me a rough idea what a New Sauer drilling would be these days ? 12/12/7mm etc
Thankyou

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be wrong...but I don't believe Sauer is offering new drillings. You might consider Merkel which offers a drilling in 2 levels of finish and various configurations. Best thing might be to look for a good used one.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ,yes havent seen any advertised anywhere ,only New Merkels ,so that might be the case they only sell bolt rifles now

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a Sauer 3000 and love it. Mostly because it really shoots well. I also really like the Merkel in some ways better. They are more compact and may be more practical. I stopped by the Sauer booth last time I went to SCI and asked if they still made the drilling. Sadly I was told no.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
okay thankyou

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the Sauer Dural alloy framed drillings of the 1960's and 70'. They are light, pleasant to carry for upland game as well. Unless you do a great deal of shooting (>10,000 rounds), they are just as reliable and durable as the steel guns. The one limitation is that the higher pressure cartridges are not suitable for alloy guns. I have alloy drillings in 7x57R and 7x65R and have never had a problem. The first two shots group nicely...beyond that the POI climbs as the barrel warms. Generally, however, its a one shot affair.

Good luck with your search.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They had steel frames that looked alloy. Put a magnet on one. Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wife and I both have Sauer 3000 Drillings, 12x12x30/06, with scopes in claw mounts.
We both like them a lot. The rufle barrels are very accurate.
Also with the scope removed the handle very well as a shotgun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They had steel frames that looked alloy. Put a magnet on one.

Not all were steel framed. I have a JP Sauer marked 16/7X56R made in the sixties with a dural frame. It weighs 6 pounds on the nose.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
quote:

Not all were steel framed. I have a JP Sauer marked 16/7X56R made in the sixties with a dural frame. It weighs 6 pounds on the nose.

I'd love to see that one, as it must have been on special order. Sauer for the most part quit making Dural guns after the war.

Heym made some, but the three I've seen were sad cases. All three were as loose as a two dollar whore. They were all chambered in 270, BTW.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luv2safari:
quote:
quote:

I'd love to see that one, as it must have been on special order. Stoeger offered that option. Sauer for the most part quit making Dural guns after the war, unless specified by the buyer.

Heym made some, but the three I've seen were sad cases. All three were as loose as a two dollar whore. They were all chambered in 270, BTW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'd love to see that one, as it must have been on special order. Stoeger offered that option. Sauer for the most part quit making Dural guns after the war, unless specified by the buyer.

Heym made some, but the three I've seen were sad cases. All three were as loose as a two dollar whore. They were all chambered in 270 that I saw, BTW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dural framed guns were available right into the 1970s. This is my pride and joy - a dural framed drilling by AW Wolf which I had restocked. Its in 16/70 over 7x65R with a full length 22 Hornet insert.

In this picture, the stock hadn't yet been completely finished.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY nice!

I especially like the long tang guard bow. I covet it. Cool

My only Dural gun is my "pimp" drilling, a Triebel 16/70 & 8X57JR.

I had a sideplated Kettner dural that was 5 lb 14oz in 16/70 & 8X57JRS. My gunsmith coerced me out of it. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like it could be a bronze alloy action. Heym produced them but of course Triebel could have marketed them under their label.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's gold plating. The former owner had it done locally, but you are correct about the bronze alloy. They were not uncommon, and I've owned several, one being a Heym 20ga/270.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is certainly a distinctive item!

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote