THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Pre-World War I - Cape Gun - "H. Burgsmuller & Sohne" - w/ xtra set 16ga Barrels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-World War I - Cape Gun - "H. Burgsmuller & Sohne" - w/ xtra set 16ga Barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Pre-World War I - Cape Gun - "H. Burgsmuller & Sohne" - with an extra set of 16ga Barrels

Hello All,

Just picked up another dandy Cape Gun in 16ga x 11.15x65R. And this one came with an extra set of 16ga. shotgun barrels.
As is typical of European Cape Guns, the rifle barrel is on the right, the shotgun barrel is on the left. English Cape guns are the opposite with the rifle barrel on the left, and the shotgun barrel on the right. Not sure what the reasoning is for this, but that's the way they are all made.

I had an extra vintage take-down case laying around, so I modified it to hold the gun with both barrels, with room for a few accessories.

Although the 11.15x65R is an obsolete old World cartridge, I was able to make a couple of cartridges using brass 410ga shotgun cases. The 410ga brass case dimensions are nearly identical to the original cartridge, except they are a little short by about 2/10 inches. With modest loading they should work just fine. I can't wait to shoot this one, maybe taking it hunting this Fall.

As always, your comments are welcome.

Here's the specs from the auction (with corrections)

(Pre-World War I) 26 - 3/4" rifle/shotgun barrels are gold inlaid "H. Burgsmuller & Sohne Kreiensen" in milled out portion of full length matted rib fitted with one standing leaf rear sight and silver bead front. 29 - 1/2" double shotgun barrels have the same marking in silver on matted concave game rib. Both barrel sets are stamped with imperial German nitro proofs with no date stamp. Shotgun barrels are stamped "16", and rifle barrel with caliber "10.5 mm" (bore) .438 groove diameter straight cartridge 2-1/2" long with base diameter .480, rim diameter .520. Coin finished top lever sidelock action features non-automatic safety, pin type cocking indicators in top of action, crossbolt third fastener, and double triggers (front set). Action is engraved with near full coverage nicely cut and shaded semi relief scrolling acanthus. On lockplates this treatment frames game scenes; left side depicts a roebuck and doe in open meadow, with a flying pheasant in background. Right side has scene of leaping stag with flushing grouse in foreground. There is a puff of smoke obscuring barrel of rifle being fired by hunter in background. Steel trigger guard is engraved with matching scroll. Relatively plain European walnut horn capped pistol grip buttstock measures 13 - 1/2" over ribbed horn buttplate. Stock features right hand shadow line cheekpiece, point pattern checkering, and a sling loop matching that on barrels. Matching splinter forend with inlet schnabel horn tip has Deeley release. Weight: 6 lbs 6 oz. (with either set of barrels in place)

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beuthiful

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love that engraving! Do you mind sharing who you bought it through?

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
beuthiful

Hello Nordic2
Thanks for your reply

quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
Absolutely love that engraving! Do you mind sharing who you bought it through?

Hello mt Al
Thanks for your reply.

The Burgsmuller, and another German cape gun in 16-9.3x72R caliber made by Meffert, (see picture below) were purchased at a recent Morphy auction.

I really like Cape guns. This is the 4th Cape gun added to my collection; Cogswell & Harrison in 375 2-1/2 x 16ga - Franz Theile in 16ga x 8-72R - Burgsmuller in 16ga x 11.15-65R - and this Meffert in 16ga x 9.3-72R.

Here is the link to additional pictures of the Meffert. http://forums.accuratereloadin...621097752#1621097752

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Thanks Buckstix! Keep those pictures coming...

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
Thanks Buckstix! Keep those pictures coming...

Hello mt Al
Thanks for the reply

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Now ! gentlemen, here is a man who understands CAPE GUNS!

Nice fix on the fitted case, and the fact that the cape gun has two sets of barrels, makes it even rarer than mine. All the cape guns in my collection have had only the Cape barrels.
None of mine came with the original fitted case so some of them may have had two sets of barrels that were separated from the cape rifle/shot sets because most of these things came home with the WWII G.Is found in bombed out castles in Germany.

Good find Sir!
…...……….........……...…. old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Buck, Another great find! Well done.

I missed this one last week on a German auction site - Sauer 'Buchsflinte' 8x57IRS and 16 bore with extra 16 bore barrels. Not great condition but usable. Went for EUR 750,-.

Picture not best but you get a rough idea.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Now ! gentlemen, here is a man who understands CAPE GUNS!

Nice fix on the fitted case, and the fact that the cape gun has two sets of barrels, makes it even rarer than mine. All the cape guns in my collection have had only the Cape barrels.
None of mine came with the original fitted case so some of them may have had two sets of barrels that were separated from the cape rifle/shot sets because most of these things came home with the WWII G.Is found in bombed out castles in Germany.

Good find Sir!
…...……….........……...…. old MacD37

Hello MacD37
Thanks for the reply

Yes, many times second barrels were lost or miss-placed. I made a point of casing this one so the extra barrel would stay with the gun.

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64: Buck, Another great find! Well done.

I missed this one last week on a German auction site - Sauer 'Buchsflinte' 8x57IRS and 16 bore with extra 16 bore barrels. Not great condition but usable. Went for EUR 750,-.

Picture not best but you get a rough idea.

HelloCharlie64
Thanks for the reply

That would have been a nice one at that price - especially with 2 barrels AND the scope.